!MailMan Setup

discuss general risc os software applications and utilities
Related forum: adventures

!MailMan Setup

Post by 8271 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:28 pm

Does anyone have a guide to !Mailman that comes as part of the Econet suite? I have it installed but I don't know how to use it? If you click on the icon it doesn't open a window to compose a message so cannot test if it is working correctly. Does L4 run a mail handling protocol or is it all handled at the user workstation (by appending to the InTray in other user's publically accessible Mail directory)?
Any help or pointing to formal documentation would be welcomed.

Thanks
Serial computer hoarder & econetophile
2 x BBC-B, 4 x Master128, Master Viglen, Master Domesday, A310, A4, A5000, RiscPC700 Level 4 Server, RPC_SA233 & RPC_SA200, RiscOS_Pi, Econet & Ethernet

IanS

Re: !MailMan Setup

Post by IanS » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:20 pm

There is a bit in the standard Arc user guide.
https://www.4corn.co.uk/archive/docs/A3 ... de-opt.pdf
Page 165

Bit short on detail. I thought I'd read more in one of the AUN/TCPIP user/manager guides, but can't find it

dangardner

Post by dangardner » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:15 am

I'm pretty sure it's all handled by writing to mailbox directories. The source recently got uploaded at https://gitlab.riscosopen.org/RiscOS/So ... as/mailman

Rod C

Post by Rod C » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:28 am

Here's a quick summary of what it says in the Level 4 Fileserver Network Manager's Guide.

MaiMan icon on the icon bar:
  • standard pillar box - no mail
  • bulging pillar box - mail waiting to be read
  • pillar box with question mark - unable to communicate with network mail system
Menu click on MailMan icon
  • Info
  • Fetch mail
  • Set up
  • Save choices
  • Quit
Set up options
  • Current mail- defaults to filename Current in directory containing MailMan application or specify other
  • Mail log- defaults to filename LogFile
  • Mailsource - is the name of the network file from which mail is read. This must have public write access. (The example shows nfs::home.$.Mail.Intray) Default is set to net:&.mail.InTray (Must be set to this if a single server only)
  • Mail name has no default value
  • Bleep is off by default
Sending mail
  • Create message in Edit, from Save As drag icon to MailMan icon and complete the dialogue box (or do the same with existing saved file icon).
Hope this helps. I can image the five pages from the Guide if you wish.

Post by 8271 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:39 am

Thanks all - that's great, will have a go later. I sort of assumed that by clicking on the icon it would bring up some form of window like an email client. I didn't realise you had to drop text files on the icon (although with hindsight that would have been the norm back in the late 1980's.)

I trawled through the RO3 manual, didn't think to look in the RO2 manual.
Cheers all.
Serial computer hoarder & econetophile
2 x BBC-B, 4 x Master128, Master Viglen, Master Domesday, A310, A4, A5000, RiscPC700 Level 4 Server, RPC_SA233 & RPC_SA200, RiscOS_Pi, Econet & Ethernet

paintings

Post by paintings » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:38 am

Actually I'd be interested in a scan of those pages from the Level 4 Fileserver Network Manager's Guide.

The only version of the guide I've been able to track down was Acorn part number 0484,021 (issue 1, 1992) which doesn't mention MailMan at all. As a result, my software information page for MailMan (at the other place) doesn't have any usage notes.

Rod C

Post by Rod C » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:38 pm

OK here's the MailMan section from the Level 4 Fileserver Network Manager's Guide.

My original pdf from the scanner was too big to post so I took these screenshots. Sorry about the quality but hopefully you can read it. :roll:
Attachments
Manager's Guide  Cover.JPG
Publication Details.JPG
Manager's Guide p109.JPG
Manager's Guide  p110.JPG
Manager's Guide  p111.JPG
Manager's Guide  p112.JPG
MailMan p113.JPG

paintings

Post by paintings » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:06 pm

Those scans are fine. Thank you for uploading.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:26 pm

8271 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:28 pm
Does anyone have a guide to !Mailman that comes as part of the Econet suite?
Gawd, setting up MailMan is a mess. Back in Hong Kong - and earlier back at Stirling - I had to actually read through the code to work out what it was trying to see to set up the mail system. I typed it up somewhere when I added binary attachment functionality when I was in HK and sent the updates back to Acorn.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.32
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2020
>_

Return to “32-bit acorn software: other”