New RISC OS port: Matrix Brandy's Telstar client

discuss general risc os software applications and utilities
Related forum: adventures

Soruk

New RISC OS port: Matrix Brandy's Telstar client

Post by Soruk » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:59 pm

Hi,

As part of my attempt to get Matrix Brandy compiling and running in RISC OS (I'm using an (emulated) StrongARM RiscPC with RISC OS 3.71), I had a go at putting together a "standalone" build of my Telstar viewdata/teletext client as a RISC OS application.

Well, almost. It's a single-tasking application, that runs in MODE 7. TCP/IP networking is required.

Edit: Rebuilt on RISC OS 5.27, it's a 32-bit app. Will run on a RISC PC running RISC OS 3.71 but won't run on 26-bit Archimedes platforms.

It's here, for the curious.
Last edited by Soruk on Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix Brandy BASIC VI (work in progress)

Richard Russell

Re: New RISC OS port: Matrix Brandy's Telstar client

Post by Richard Russell » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:02 pm

Soruk wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:59 pm
I had a go at putting together a "standalone" build of my Telstar viewdata/teletext client as a RISC OS application.
In connection with the query I received here, can you confirm whether your standalone Telstar client supports direct cursor addressing, and if so what control code it uses and whether the row and column numbers are zero- or one-based?

Soruk

Re: New RISC OS port: Matrix Brandy's Telstar client

Post by Soruk » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:02 pm

Richard Russell wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:02 pm
Soruk wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:59 pm
I had a go at putting together a "standalone" build of my Telstar viewdata/teletext client as a RISC OS application.
In connection with the query I received here, can you confirm whether your standalone Telstar client supports direct cursor addressing, and if so what control code it uses and whether the row and column numbers are zero- or one-based?
My standalone client is no different to the Telstar client that's distributed with Matrix Brandy, it's just embedded with the "BrandyApp" build option and embedding the source as raw data within the binary somewhere. There is no direct addressing of the cursor, as far as I know the server is supposed to keep track of the cursor placement and move it with &08, &09, &0A and &0B and &1E to move it to (0,0). As I understand it, and is what I use on my Teletext to Viewdata server, if you want to place the cursor at a specific point, you can send &1E then the right number of &09 and &0A to position it where you want.

Edit: Taking a closer look at the linked Wiki article, I wasn't aware of APS, certainly I haven't implemented it, and neither Telstar nor CCl4 are worse the wear for it.
Matrix Brandy BASIC VI (work in progress)

Return to “32-bit acorn software: other”