RISC OS 2 Kernel Source code

discuss general risc os software applications and utilities
Related forum: adventures

flibble

RISC OS 2 Kernel Source code

Post by flibble » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:44 pm

Recently rediscovered

http://www.marutan.net/riscos2/

Not managed to build it yet through, even with aasm, anyone else want to have a go? :)

davidb

Re: RISC OS 2 Kernel Source code

Post by davidb » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:33 pm

An interesting find! :)

It's always a bit informative to look for references to other systems and codenames in projects like this. I see the Richard III reference is there...

I'm unlikely to try and build it. (Much more likely to revisit Helios again.) Maybe it's best to attempt a RISC OS rebuild in an emulator running a contemporary version of the OS. Hopefully it won't require an A500 to build it - there are quite a few references to those!

SteveBagley

Post by SteveBagley » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:38 am

Fascinating. I'm intrigued as to where this was found now :)

Steve

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:05 pm

I'm more interested in where it came from than the contents of the code!

flibble

Post by flibble » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:28 am

I'm afraid the source isn't very exciting, someone who's name I've forgotten off IRC about 15-20 years ago. No more coming from that direction :(

Rich Talbot-Watkins

Post by Rich Talbot-Watkins » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:13 am

I had a quick browse through some of the source code. Amusing to see so much profanity liberally scattered throughout. This stuff probably wouldn't pass code review these days!

There are no doubt assembler labels with daft names too (from when you need a label when hurriedly writing code, but don't want to distract yourself from the main task by trying to think of a decent name - my code always had plenty of labels like .sponkle, .frobnicate, and that evergreen favourite, .loop!).

myelin

Post by myelin » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:02 pm

Interesting to diff it against the oldest kernel version available on riscosopen.org (3.60) -- https://gitlab.riscosopen.org/RiscOS/So ... ee/RO_3_60

Has anyone tried to produce a rebuildable disassembly of RO2/RO3? I guess I should be looking at sirbod's RO 3.20 work, as he has scripts to split the ROM into the kernel and various modules...
SW/EE from New Zealand, now in Mountain View, CA, making BBC/Electron hardware projects for fun.
Most interesting: Arcflash, FX2+PiTubeDirect Tube/Cartridge adapter, USB cart interface.

Return to “32-bit acorn software: other”