How do I reset an A3000 - not using the button

discuss general risc os software applications and utilities
Related forum: adventures

Nutter

How do I reset an A3000 - not using the button

Post by Nutter »

Disclaimer: I know very little about Acorn systems and software.

When I try to launch a game etc and it doesn't start because of an error, sometimes all my IDE Discs disappear from the desktop bar. Is there a way to reset or restore these drives without powering off and on? Sometimes even the reset button doesn't do this.

As an example, I have Pandora's Box stored on an IDE Disc. When I double-click it, nothing happens except all the drives disappear. The only way to get them back is to power off then on.
IanS

Re: How do I reset an A3000 - not using the button

Post by IanS »

You can try holding CTRL and then reset, which does more of a reset under RISC OS 3.1. I think.
Nutter

Post by Nutter »

You mean CTRL and the reset button?
Last edited by Nutter on Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

Nutter wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:38 pm
I have Pandora's Box stored on an IDE Disc. When I double-click it, nothing happens except all the drives disappear.
Some of the Fourth Dimension titles take over most of the file and I/O vectors during the protection check, if the check fails they either stiff the machine or attempt to reboot it. Some of them also leave a decryption routine on the FileV vector, requiring a reboot to remove.

In your case it sounds like part of the protection/decryption is causing the file system to crash. I know that happens on later RISC OS versions, as I modified all their protection routines under ADFFS to use legal methods to decrypt, so they run past RISC OS 3.1x

Two points. Do you have the version of Pandora's Box that can be run from HD and did you have the floppy in or image of it mounted at the time you ran it?

As for your original question, as already mentioned CTRL+RESET does a hard reboot that's the equivalent of a power on.
Nutter

Post by Nutter »

Jon, I literally copied the contents of both floppies to the IDE podule device into directory named Pandora. Then double-clicked the main Pandora icon. Nothing happens except the drives disappear.

I know this method may not work for every title... I tried also with the original floppy in the drive but still the same. You mention a version that is specifically for a HD? I don't think I have that. Sounds interesting though.
Last edited by Nutter on Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

Nutter wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:32 am
I literally copied the contents of both floppies to the IDE podule device into directory named Pandora. Then double-clicked the main Pandora icon. Nothing happens except the drives disappear.
You need the StrongARM version, which came on a single floppy if you want to run it from HD, the original "two floppy" release will only run directly from floppy.
Nutter

Post by Nutter »

Thanks Jon that's great information. I'll have a look for that version.

Return to “32-bit acorn software: other”