Old sortware archiving.

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)Related forum: adventures

caluser2000

Old sortware archiving.

Post by caluser2000 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:24 am

I've got a lot of older Acorn/Risc 3.x software on 720k floppies. A few game, some educational programs, drivers and other stuff. Is there an archive or ftp server I can update these to? Be a shame to lose them. If so whats the best format?

flaxcottage

Re: Old sortware archiving.

Post by flaxcottage » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:02 pm

One problem you may have is that the original disks are protected and will not archive easily.

Unprotected Archimedes discs can be converted to .ADL format by OmniFlop and saved as 800K images (the disk size should be 800K not 720K as that is a DOS format size). If the .ADL images are renamed as .ADF then they will load into Archimedes emulators, such as Red Squirrel.

Protected discs can be saved using !ADFFS but I don't know if the images can be uploaded to the internet.

There may be better places to have these uploaded but I have a RISCOS section on my website and would be happy to host them for you. :D
- John

caluser2000

Post by caluser2000 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:06 pm

Thanks John. I'll flick you an e-mail when/if I get around to it. Every one needs a roundtoit. :) Nice site btw. It'd be a shame to see that old software just disappear.

Edit-Just went through the disks, about 50 or so. Some interesting stuff. Most of it is applications and original disks. Some copies which I'll probably reformat. A few driver disks and only a few young kids games. The most interesting disks I found were a couple of RISCiX kernel boot strap disks and Gnome iX with iX utilities. Also have some manuals and a Impression dongle. At least now there are all tidily packed and match and not just thrown in a box willy nilly.
Last edited by caluser2000 on Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

davidb

Post by davidb » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:00 am

caluser2000 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:06 pm
Edit-Just went through the disks, about 50 or so. Some interesting stuff. Most of it is applications and original disks. Some copies which I'll probably reformat.
Make sure the originals are OK before reformatting the copies. :)
caluser2000 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:06 pm
A few driver disks and only a few young kids games. The most interesting disks I found were a couple of RISCiX kernel boot strap disks and Gnome iX with iX utilities. Also have some manuals and a Impression dongle. At least now there are all tidily packed and match and not just thrown in a box willy nilly.
If 4corn doesn't already have images of the RISCiX and Gnome disks then flibble (Peter) might want them for his 4corn site, which you've already found. I don't remember what software danielj used to copy the RISCiX floppies I brought from Norway to the UK, but it may be possible to use a simple copying program first, then something more complicated if it turns out there is some kind of copy protection.

caluser2000

Post by caluser2000 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:25 am

I've got a couple of older linux systems so dd might be worth a shot. It's amazing how easy it is to install these days compared to the late 90s.