ADFFS 2.72 released

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)Related forum: adventures

sirbod

ADFFS 2.72 released

Post by sirbod » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:07 pm

ADFFS 2.72 is now available for direct download. Or via PackMan using the JASPP source URL: http://www.jaspp.org.uk/packages/release

It's mostly a stability update for games run under the JIT, but there are a few bug fixes for RISC OS 3.x users.

Andy1979

Re: ADFFS 2.72 released

Post by Andy1979 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:44 am

Finally got around to updating my Raspberry Pi 2 from RISC OS 5.21 to latest version, and the first thing I did was install ADFFS.

What can I say, absolutely fantastic work. Enjoyed playing some Lemmings, Cannon Fodder, Pacmania and Manchester Utd Europe. They all play just how I remember them, with much better load times.

My next job is to use ADFFS on my A3010 to image all of my 4th Dimension and other games. Can't wait to give them a try.

Andy1979

Re: ADFFS 2.72 released

Post by Andy1979 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:38 pm

Have now imaged some of my old games and thought I would share what works and what doesn't. UPDATE: Thanks for activating my account Jon, have now shared this on JASPP forums. https://forums.jaspp.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 3935#p3935

I'm using a Pi2B with a recent build of Risc OS 5.27 and ADFFS 2.72. All the games I've downloaded from Packman work perfectly, so this is just what's happened with the ones I've imaged myself. I'm using the "Boot Floppy" menu option from ADFFS.

What I'm trying to do is get everything from my A3010 running on the Pi, either using ADFFS for games, Aemulor for other software, or under emulation (I'm using !ArchiEmu as it seems better than !ArcEm).

Saloon Cars Deluxe - Works great. Harder to control than I remember! Under !ArchiEmu it gets stuck asking for the second disk, but it's fine under RO5.27.
Flashback - I have the version on 2 HD disks. There was a JFD recording file for that (F1053201), but ADFFS doesn't boot the images. However, if I run the Obey file for the non-HD version of Flashback it runs great on the Pi.
Apocalypse - Works fine on the Pi.
The Olympics - Runs, but so fast it's unplayable on the Pi. Haven't tried under emulation yet.
Aldebaran - Wasn't expecting this to work as launcher uses WIMP mode, and it crashes under RO5.27. Works great running ADFFS in !ArchiEmu.
E-Type II - Also uses WIMP mode. Can run a 2-player game by just clicking on the icon bar, but opening the menu crashes under RO5.27. Works great in !ArchiEmu though.
Virtual Golf - Doesn't work either under emulation or natively on the Pi. Causes !ArchiEmu to reboot.
Holed Out - Can't seem to get this to work. Maybe a problem with the image? My version is from the "Real McCoy 2" games compilation and they're some of the oldest disks I have.
Inertia - My original floppy seems to be corrupt - doesn't verify on the A3010 and I get a 'disk error' when trying to boot the JFD. Again, this is from the "Real McCoy" compilation.
Stunt Racer 2000 - This is the one I'd really like to get running, but is frustrating me. I've got the 2 disk version (F1035101). The music starts, but it gets stuck on the loading screen which is compressed into a letterbox. That's the point where it asks for disk 2, but Ctrl-Shift-F2 doesn't work. I get a similar result in !ArchiEmu - the load screen shrinks the vertical height of the window and I can't get past the point it asks for disk 2. Annoyingly it does work in Red Squirrel on my Windows 10 machine, so I know the JFDs are OK.

Anyone else had success with the titles I'm struggling with?
Last edited by Andy1979 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.