Drop Ship Joystick support

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)Related forum: adventures

sirbod

Drop Ship Joystick support

Post by sirbod » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:48 am

Drop Ship says it supports Joysticks in the manual and there's a Joystick option in the Controls options, but it doesn't appear to talk to any Joystick interface.

Believing that maybe it's doing a check for a specific Module and disabling Joystick support if it's not there, I searched both the BASIC and machine code for direct Econet and Parallel access and calls to Joystick SWI's - nothing.

Tracing the code path that gets called when Joystick control is selected, it's the same path as when the Mouse is selected, which leads me to believe it's possibly Voltmace that it support.

Long story short, has anyone played Drop Ship with a Joystick and if so, which Joystick interface?

EDIT: I've now confirmed it supports Voltmace only.
Last edited by sirbod on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sirbod

Re: Drop Ship Joystick support

Post by sirbod » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:13 pm

The original Man At Arms is the same, there's a Joystick option in the controls but no Joystick interface is touched. The manual doesn't mention Joysticks and examining the code it only checks the keyboard and mouse. Is this another Voltmace title?

EDIT: I've now confirmed it supports Voltmace only.

forestman

Re: Drop Ship Joystick support

Post by forestman » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:21 am

Drop Ship was rock hard with my fingers going nineteen to the dozen...not sure if joystick would help.

I really loved that game as a kid - not sure why really as I don't think I ever got that far in it!
StrongARM RISC PC, OS 3.70, 24MB RAM, 2MB VRAM, working front flap!