I found some Acorn User CD-ROMs

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)Related forum: adventures

dhg2

I found some Acorn User CD-ROMs

Post by dhg2 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:02 pm

Hello,

My family was subscribed to Acorn User in the 90s. I remember at the time, we weren't able to use the CD-ROMs that occasionally came with the magazines because our A3010 didn't have a CD-ROM drive. The CDs were tucked away somewhere, and I just found them today by chance.

I suppose these are all already archived by members of this forum, but just in case, I thought I'd ask about it. Does anyone else have these? If not, I could post .iso images here.
acornusercds_.jpg
Regards,
- Patrick

davidb

Re: I found some Acorn User CD-ROMs

Post by davidb » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:32 pm

It's worth creating ISOs of them, just for the sake of preservation, so if the disks get damaged you have copies of them.

If you can do a quick search at the Internet Archive to see if they are already available it will then save you the trouble of uploading them somewhere. They are almost certainly too large to attach to messages on this forum. :) Any files at the Archive will have associated MD5 and SHA1 hashes so that files can be compared simply without having to be downloaded and compared byte-by-byte.

For example, here's the AU Cover CD 3 that you have, I think. Following the Show All link on the right-hand side of the page leads to this page which provides the cdrom-riscos-au-cd3_files.xml XML file containing information about the files associated with that item.

The search I used to find the CD images was this one.

flibble

Re: I found some Acorn User CD-ROMs

Post by flibble » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:49 am

I think archive.org has all the AU cds

https://archive.org/search.php?query=ac ... cd-roms%22

Saves you imaging