Acorn Archimedes Disk Image

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)Related forum: adventures

SmellyGeekBoy

Acorn Archimedes Disk Image

Post by SmellyGeekBoy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:09 pm

Hello!

I recently acquired an Archimedes A305 with an IDE HDD interface and a Maxtor 420MB HDD. It's full of software from a previous owner so in the interests of preservation I took an image of the entire HDD using a USB interface and the "dd" command in Linux.

I've been reading some of the other threads here about mounting the image but some of the info is pretty old. I also tried a couple of different FUSE drivers and couldn't get it to cooperate.

I wanted to make the image available so that someone more knowledgeable than me can have a look through it and check for previously undiscovered gems that may or may not be lurking on there, so I have uploaded it to my Google Drive:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1olpCn ... r1ubZpPUbz

Of course, if anyone can point me in the right direction of some software (preferably on Linux) that I can use to poke around myself it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Rees
Hey, hey, 16K, what does that get you today?

daveejhitchins

Re: Acorn Archimedes Disk Image

Post by daveejhitchins » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:25 pm

Jon Welch's ADFS Explorer 'should' open this .adf file, however, there seems to be an issue with large files - I found this when I tried to open a few of my BeebSCSImini files. Jon is aware of this and has sent me a Window version that's been modified to handle these large files. I have it on my mani Windows machine - unfortunately that's under repair, currently. I do have a Windows Laptop so should be able to try it out on there this afternoon. This modified version does handle the BeebSCSImini files - so fingers crossed.

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:43 pm

Yes, Jon explained it to me that ADFS Explorer actually loads the disk image file into memory to then explore it, which means for large files it runs out of space. He said it would need some major re-writing to only load the required part of the disk image as and when it needed instead of manipulating it all in memory.

However, if you can get the image into a RISC OS environment, the version of BeebArc here will extract files from an ADFS disk image of any size. It's not a navigator, it's just an extractor.

I had a look at the attached image, and the first 512K of it is just zeros. I didn't get any further than that.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

SmellyGeekBoy

Post by SmellyGeekBoy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:47 pm

Jon Welch's ADFS Explorer 'should' open this .adf file, however, there seems to be an issue with large files - I found this when I tried to open a few of my BeebSCSImini files. Jon is aware of this and has sent me a Window version that's been modified to handle these large files. I have it on my mani Windows machine - unfortunately that's under repair, currently. I do have a Windows Laptop so should be able to try it out on there this afternoon. This modified version does handle the BeebSCSImini files - so fingers crossed.
Thanks! I had discovered ADFS Explorer. I'll fire it up on my Windows machine when I get a minute. I'm hoping that 420MB won't be too big for it to handle!
I had a look at the attached image, and the first 512K of it is just zeros. I didn't get any further than that.
Intriguing... I've used dd a fair bit over the years for cloning disks etc and never had a problem before so I'd assume that this is because the first 512K of the HDD itself is all zeros. Either that or I somehow imaged the wrong device... :shock:

matt_nottm

Post by matt_nottm » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:10 pm

Hi, it works for me on RPCEmu on the Mac, as per the attached image.
Attachments
IMG_2793.JPG

SmellyGeekBoy

Post by SmellyGeekBoy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:22 pm

matt_nottm wrote:Hi, it works for me on RPCEmu on the Mac, as per the attached image.
Oh excellent. That's exactly how it looks on the real machine (unsurprising I guess). I haven't had chance to try everything out yet but I did particularly enjoy the lottery number generator. :D

I'll have a look at RPCEmu now - thanks for your help!

matt_nottm

Post by matt_nottm » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:26 pm

No worries, if you are planning to run it on a Retina mac, you will need to set "Open in Low Resolution" on the Application (that is the reason I could not screen shot, and had to use my phone). On a Windows box, you will be fine.

I simply renamed the image you uploaded to hd4.hdf and RPCEmu mounted it straight away.

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:36 pm

Well . . . ADFS Explorer (modified version) mounts the image OK, however, doesn't show any data - so it's a good job matt_nottm managed to view it OK.

Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

matt_nottm

Post by matt_nottm » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:41 pm

ADFS Explorer was my first port of call, but I got "An exception of class OutOfBoundsException was not handled. The application must shut down." I assume this is due to memory constraints as per the earlier thread post.

SmellyGeekBoy

Post by SmellyGeekBoy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:45 pm

The important thing is that this machine is backed up so now I can start loading it up with stuff I want to use!

SmellyGeekBoy

Post by SmellyGeekBoy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:12 pm

Hi all, seems I made a bit of a faux pas by using .adf as the file extension as this is causing some confusion for people as well as issues with various utilities expecting it to be an FCFS file. Sorry about that, like I said, I'm new to all things Archimedes. :shock:

I'll leave the link up as a couple of people have managed to get it working and there could well be something interesting on there yet to be discovered.

Of course with this being a raw disk image it does raise the possibility of recovering any files that may have been deleted over the years as well...

mattdy4

Post by mattdy4 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:32 pm

Tried to open with ADFSExplorer and RCPEmu and get similar issues as to other folks in the thread. Is the amended version of ADFSE for large files freeware/shareware?

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:33 pm

mattdy4 wrote:Tried to open with ADFSExplorer and RCPEmu and get similar issues as to other folks in the thread. Is the amended version of ADFSE for large files freeware/shareware?
I'm not sure, however, you will need an official copy of ADFSE before you can run the extended one - so I expect it will be freely available - I'll check, though!

g7jjf

Post by g7jjf » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:08 pm

Sorry but my ADFS Explorer program won't open RISCOS disc images, only BBC/Master 128 ADFS Images :(

Dunkinator

Post by Dunkinator » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:07 am

I managed to get it to work by renaming the file to hd4.hdf and booting into RPCEmu normally.

geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:48 am

SmellyGeekBoy wrote:I wanted to make the image available so that someone more knowledgeable than me can have a look through it and check for previously undiscovered gems that may or may not be lurking on there, so I have uploaded it to my Google Drive:
Of course, if anyone can point me in the right direction of some software (preferably on Linux) that I can use to poke around myself it would be much appreciated.
I know others have managed to open it, but I'll use it on my little Windows application as a test. Theoretically, it should open it.
http://www.geraldholdsworth.co.uk/code. ... =DiscImage

Cheers,

Gerald.
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page
www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk

geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:07 pm

Just an update - have tried your image on my application and it opens and reads it fine. Thank you for an extra image to test my code on. :)

Incidentally, the version online (app version 1.00, class version 1.06) will not open it, as the changes made to the class were done on 1.07, which is still on my computer being developed. If anyone wishes the new app version (which is now at 1.01, as I added a search facility to the class and hence the app) just let me know.

Cheers,

Gerald.
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page
www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk