ADFFS 2.63 released

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)Related forum: adventures

sirbod

Re: ADFFS 2.63 released

Post by sirbod » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:53 pm

Unfortunately there was a fatal bug in the version of ADFFS released earlier today, which caused 26bit Modules to become corrupt, causing some games to fail. This has now been fixed so please download ADFFS 2.63 again if you’ve already downloaded it.

You can confirm you have the updated version by checking Info on the ADFFS Filer menu, it should have today’s date (19-12-17)

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:48 pm

sirbod wrote:Unfortunately there was a fatal bug in the version of ADFFS released earlier today, which caused 26bit Modules to become corrupt, causing some games to fail. This has now been fixed so please download ADFFS 2.63 again if you’ve already downloaded it. You can confirm you have the updated version by checking Info on the ADFFS Filer menu, it should have today’s date (19-12-17)
Thanks. I'm a complete noob when it comes to RISC OS, but I believe I've now got the fixed version of ADFFS, which I've installed in Red Squirrel, which is running in a virtual instance of Win XP in VirtualBox on my Mac! Somehow, some apps -- like Archie ALPS itself -- do manage to work in this nested-to-heck environment -- but not the ALPS Support Disc, which, even though I've managed to mount it with ADFFS, and even though I can see the apps !Compact, !Compress, etc., throws an error every time I try to run one of them by double-clicking the icon: "Don't know where System resources are. Open a directory viewer containing a !System folder and try again":
  • Untitled.png
    Screenshot of doom
Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

:?:

richw

Post by richw » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:49 pm

What files are in your 'HardDisc' area? Do you have something called !System?

If you can, grab the HardDisc4 and System archives from riscosopen.org. Alternatively, use the old Acorn 'universal boot', as either should work.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:17 pm

richw wrote:What files are in your 'HardDisc' area? Do you have something called !System?
I don't think so. (Are you referring to the files I see when I double-click the HardDisk icon in the screenshot above?)
richw wrote:If you can, grab the HardDisc4 and System archives from riscosopen.org. Alternatively, use the old Acorn 'universal boot', as either should work.
Do you have links for any of those things? I'm clueless when it comes to RISC OS.

Any idea why I can run Archie ALPS without any problems but the Support Disc apps all throw this error?

crj

Post by crj » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:50 pm

sirbod wrote:please download ADFFS 2.63 again [...] You can confirm you have the updated version by checking Info on the ADFFS Filer menu, it should have today’s date (19-12-17)
Isn't this pretty much exactly what the second minor version digit is for? I'd have expected today's release to be 2.64!

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:58 am

lurkio wrote:
richw wrote:What files are in your 'HardDisc' area? Do you have something called !System?
I don't think so. (Are you referring to the files I see when I double-click the HardDisk icon in the screenshot above?)
You should be single-clicking on the HardDisk icon. You double-click on files in filer windows to run them. You single-click on files in filer windows to select them. You single-click on devices and applications on the icon bar to open them. I don't know of any application where you double-click on their application icon.

If there is no !System in adfs::HardDisk.$ then it's probably in adfs::HardDisk.$.!Boot and your Boot option is turned off. Drop to the command line and do:
*DIR :4.$
*OPT 4,3
*Configure Boot
*Configure Drive 4

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:16 am

lurkio wrote:even though I've managed to mount it with ADFFS, and even though I can see the apps !Compact, !Compress, etc., throws an error every time I try to run one of them by double-clicking the icon: "Don't know where System resources are. Open a directory viewer containing a !System folder and try again"
Hello Lurkio!

If you hold down shift, then double-click on one of these apps e.g. !Compact, then app folder will open in the Filer and you'll be able to see inside and find out what makes the thing tick! Looking inside !Compact, there's a !Run Obey file (open it in Edit by shift-double-clicking), this file is run when you double-click on the app and sets up the environment for the app. It's this !Run file that is raising the error that you're getting. This Obey file is checking for the presence of a !System folder, and then ensures that a system module has been loaded from the !System folder. The module that is needed by !Compact is Clib (3.50 or later). Whilst RISC OS 3.11 is mostly ROM based, there are a number of system modules that can be softloaded from disc, and some apps require such modules.

In terms of the ALPS Support apps - !Compact, !Compress, and !Expand need Clib 3.50 or later, !Convert needs Clib 3.50 or later, and also the Colours module.

In terms of getting your RISC OS !Boot system setup within Red Squirrel, try taking a look at these guides on the forum that cover this process (including installing Uniboot, which will fix your problems) for the Arculator emulator - the process should be more or less the same on Red Squirrel I imagine (though I've not used this emulator myself):
viewtopic.php?t=9246
viewtopic.php?t=9256

I hope this is of some help!

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:26 pm

jgharston wrote:
lurkio wrote:
You should be single-clicking on the HardDisk icon. You double-click on files in filer windows to run them. You single-click on files in filer windows to select them. You single-click on devices and applications on the icon bar to open them. I don't know of any application where you double-click on their application icon.
Yes, I misremembered, being unfamiliar with RISC OS. I should have said "single-click".
jgharston wrote:If there is no !System in adfs::HardDisk.$ then it's probably in adfs::HardDisk.$.!Boot and your Boot option is turned off. Drop to the command line and do:
*OPT 4,3
*Configure Boot
*Configure Drive 4
Didn't work:
  • Untitled.png
lcww1 wrote:In terms of the ALPS Support apps - !Compact, !Compress, and !Expand need Clib 3.50 or later, !Convert needs Clib 3.50 or later, and also the Colours module.

In terms of getting your RISC OS !Boot system setup within Red Squirrel, try taking a look at these guides on the forum that cover this process (including installing Uniboot, which will fix your problems) for the Arculator emulator - the process should be more or less the same on Red Squirrel I imagine (though I've not used this emulator myself):
viewtopic.php?t=9246
viewtopic.php?t=9256
Looks like I'll have to start wading through the manuals/threads -- unless someone can give me a shortcut (i.e. a dummy's guide)?

IanS

Post by IanS » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:49 pm

lurkio wrote:
jgharston wrote:If there is no !System in adfs::HardDisk.$ then it's probably in adfs::HardDisk.$.!Boot and your Boot option is turned off. Drop to the command line and do:
*OPT 4,3
*Configure Boot
*Configure Drive 4
Didn't work:
hostfs is drive 0, try that with ":0" and "*conf. dr. 0"

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:56 pm

lurkio wrote:Looks like I'll have to start wading through the manuals/threads -- unless someone can give me a shortcut (i.e. a dummy's guide)?
There’s a very nice step by step guide to setting up Arculator by KarateEd in the first post of the second thread that I linked to above - i.e. viewtopic.php?t=9256 - I can send you a prepared hard disc image for Arculator after Christmas if you like, but I encourage you to have a go at working through KarateEd’s guide!

Good luck!

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:11 pm

IanS wrote:
lurkio wrote:
*OPT 4,3
*Configure Boot
*Configure Drive 4
Didn't work:
hostfs is drive 0, try that with ":0" and "*conf. dr. 0"
Substituting drive 0 for drive 4 worked, thanks. I presume I haven't got a !System folder then? (See my previous screenshot.) Do I need to install a !System folder somehow?
lcww1 wrote:There’s a very nice step by step guide to setting up Arculator by KarateEd in the first post of the second thread that I linked to above - i.e. viewtopic.php?t=9256 - I can send you a prepared hard disc image for Arculator after Christmas if you like, but I encourage you to have a go at working through KarateEd’s guide!
That guide doesn't seem to say anything about the !System folder though..?

IanS

Post by IanS » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:19 pm

lurkio wrote:Do I need to install a !System folder somehow?
Yes, you can try the apps1 disc from https://www.4corn.co.uk/aview.php?sPath ... /riscos310

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:56 pm

IanS wrote:
lurkio wrote:Do I need to install a !System folder somehow?
Yes, you can try the apps1 disc from https://www.4corn.co.uk/aview.php?sPath ... /riscos310
That seemed to do the trick, thanks! The programs !Compress, etc., now seem to launch correctly.*

As for how to actually use them -- that I will have to make some effort to figure out for myself instead of whining like a baby! Thanks, all.

=D> =D>

* The program !Alps still fails though:
Untitled.png

IanS

Post by IanS » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:14 pm

lurkio wrote:The program !Alps still fails though:
Sorry, I haven't been paying enough attention, what should it do.

If you hold shift down and double-click on the !Alps app, it will show the files that make up the app (RISC OS Apps are just directories that start with a !, the OS translates double-clicking on the directory into running the !Run file, if it has one, When the app directory is first seen by the OS it run s the !Boot file)

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:29 pm

IanS wrote:
lurkio wrote:The program !Alps still fails though:
Sorry, I haven't been paying enough attention, what should it do.
Not exactly sure, to be honest! The apps on the main Archie ALPS disc I was able to get running some time ago (they didn't seem to need a !System folder), but this ALPS Support disc is a bit of a mystery to me -- I know it enables you to compress text and images for your text adventure games, but I'm not sure exactly how it all works. There is some documentation with the Archie ALPS uploads, though, and it might mention the Support apps, so perhaps I need to have a closer look at that.
IanS wrote:If you hold shift down and double-click on the !Alps app, it will show the files that make up the app
That's what I did -- you can see the files that make up the !Alps app in the background in my previous screenshot, above.
IanS wrote:(RISC OS Apps are just directories that start with a !, the OS translates double-clicking on the directory into running the !Run file, if it has one
The !Alps app on the ALPS Support disc doesn't seem to have a !Run, for some reason.

IanS

Post by IanS » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:32 pm

lurkio wrote: The !Alps app on the ALPS Support disc doesn't seem to have a !Run, for some reason.
Load the !Boot into !Edit, it may have never had a !Run file, the !Boot file may do all it needs. It may just need to be "seen" by the Filer to be "working".

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:38 pm

IanS wrote:
lurkio wrote:The !Alps app on the ALPS Support disc doesn't seem to have a !Run, for some reason.
Load the !Boot into !Edit, it may have never had a !Run file, the !Boot file may do all it needs. It may just need to be "seen" by the Filer to be "working".
Loaded the !Boot into !Edit (I think!):
  • Untitled.png
Still can't run !Alps.

IanS

Post by IanS » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:48 pm

lurkio wrote: Still can't run !Alps.
You need to try extracting from the files you linked to earlier again, you seem to have missed something.

This is what I get
alps.PNG

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:58 pm

IanS wrote:
lurkio wrote: Still can't run !Alps.
You need to try extracting from the files you linked to earlier again, you seem to have missed something.

This is what I get
alps.PNG
Yes, that's what I get if I extract the zipped disc image in the other ALPS thread, but if I extract the Support disc linked at the top of this thread, I get the unrunnable app we've been discussing. Not sure why.

Oh, maybe I'm meant to merge the two sets of files and possible replace the original !ALPS with the new !Alps from the Support disc?
Last edited by lurkio on Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lcww1

Post by lcww1 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:05 pm

I think the ALPS app on the support disc just contains a system module in the Resources folder and was used for updating the main ALPS app on the main ALPS disc - there’s actually no need for this now as the version of ALPS on the main ALPS disc superseded the version in the support disc - so, to run the actual ALPS app just run it from the main ALPS disc rather than from the support disc - hopefully that makes sense......

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:06 pm

lcww1 wrote:I think the ALPS app on the support disc just contains a system module in the Resources folder and was used for updating the main ALPS app on the main ALPS disc - there’s actually no need for this now as the version of ALPS on the main ALPS disc superseded the version in the support disc - so, to run the actual ALPS app just run it from the main ALPS disc rather than from the support disc - hopefully that makes sense......
Aha! Thanks.

#-o