MIDI Sequencing software for A3020

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)Related forum: adventures

JonathanHancock

MIDI Sequencing software for A3020

Post by JonathanHancock » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:02 pm

Hi all

This is my first post having just purchased an A3020 which takes me back to my college days :D .

It has an AKA12 MIDI podule included and I'd really like to hook it up to my old Yamaha DX100 synth. I've looked around for some suitable software and drivers, but can't find anything. Does anyone have any ideas where I might be able to get something suitable?

Thanks in advance, Jonathan

sirbod

Re: MIDI Sequencing software for A3020

Post by sirbod » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:31 pm

EMR Studio24 springs to mind - no idea where you'd find a copy though.

Totally unrelated, but this has reminded me about an MT32 emulator I coded back in the day which translated MT32 MIDI from the PC to various synths I have (Roland P330, Roland R8, Roland D110, Korg DW8000 and possibly a Yamaha XG50). It redirected sounds to the most appropriate synth and duplicated to synths for a phat sound where possible. I must resurrect it and record some of the music, as I recall Monkey Island, The Fate of Atlantis etc were a damned site better than an MT32 on its own.

RobC

Post by RobC » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:35 pm

Not sure how up to date it is but there's a summary of music software here: http://www.somascape.org/riscos/midi/sw.html

Anthem looks to still be available from RComp: http://www.arsvcs.demon.co.uk/rci/sound ... anthem.htm

JonathanHancock

Post by JonathanHancock » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:37 am

That's great - thanks everyone. Anthem looks ideal but it's £70 which is more than the machine cost! I'll keep searching for a free (or happy to make a donation) download.

poink

Post by poink » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:20 am

JonathanHancock wrote:That's great - thanks everyone. Anthem looks ideal but it's £70 which is more than the machine cost! I'll keep searching for a free (or happy to make a donation) download.
Good deal on an A3020 there then!

I vaguely remember Clares Rhapsody 2 appearing on the Kosovo Orphans Charity CD which looks to be available at archive.org. I believe that supports MIDI interfaces (I've used Rhapsody to create MIDI files, but I didn't have MIDI hardware at the time).

If you want to get very adventurous, you could try AMCS, the A3020 may be close enough to the A3000 to work.

RobC

Post by RobC » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:09 pm

I should have a version of Rhapsody somewhere as I used it to layout choir music back in the late 90s.

(I remember talking to the author at one of the Acorn shows and saying that I found it difficult to align words with the correct notes. His response was along the lines of "No it's not. If you think you can do a better job, go and do it!" :) )

poink

Post by poink » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:26 am

RobC wrote:(I remember talking to the author at one of the Acorn shows and saying that I found it difficult to align words with the correct notes. His response was along the lines of "No it's not. If you think you can do a better job, go and do it!" :) )
I remember it being somewhat awkward, but that could be because I didn't use it much. (Yes, it's the full version of Rhapsody 2 on the Kosovo CD BTW.)

qUE

Post by qUE » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:44 pm

poink wrote:
JonathanHancock wrote:That's great - thanks everyone. Anthem looks ideal but it's £70 which is more than the machine cost! I'll keep searching for a free (or happy to make a donation) download.
Good deal on an A3020 there then!

I vaguely remember Clares Rhapsody 2 appearing on the Kosovo Orphans Charity CD which looks to be available at archive.org. I believe that supports MIDI interfaces (I've used Rhapsody to create MIDI files, but I didn't have MIDI hardware at the time).

If you want to get very adventurous, you could try AMCS, the A3020 may be close enough to the A3000 to work.
We haven't ported AMCS to the A3020, it's in the pipeline though as I picked one up a few months ago, and with the A3020 having a VGA connector should be able to make it compatible with PC monitors. This however is not to say like poink mentioned that it won't work as is, only thing I can think might put a stop to it is the IOEB which hardware emulates various parts of the original A3000. There is also a couple of things to mention though, the free versions don't have any save and they're time limited on idle so you'll lose you work if you leave the mouse and keyboard alone for 24 hours. We're also trying hurry through writing the documentation, so that's a bit sparse atm.

qUE

qUE

Post by qUE » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:40 am

Okay, just an update, I've tried various versions (with FDC, not with FDC, etc.) of AMCS on the 3020 and I can unfortunately confirm it doesn't work with the A3000 initialisation. I guess something is different with the hardware. I'll be looking into it now I've got the machine setup.

qUE

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:07 am

- John

qUE

Post by qUE » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:07 pm

New free versions of AMCS (b03032017dt) MIDI/audio sequencer, now available for download from the official website >>> amcs.3rdevent.net

Now includes compatibility for the Acorn A3020 computer (with 100Hz capable display).

Also check out music and mixes made with our technologies >>> www.invertedlightsource.com