ArthurLib ?

discuss general risc os software applications and utilities
Related forum: adventures

sweh

ArthurLib ?

Post by sweh »

Now I'm playing around with RiscOS and econet (and some kludges to the PiEconetBridge, which I'll raise a PR for), my rpcemu RiscOS image and my Pi400 running RiscOS can now see my wired M128 server.

But I see the FindLib stuff is looking for a folder called "ArthurLib". Which makes sense 'cos trying to run the stuff from Library or Library1 frequently crashes the machine :-)

I found NetLibA.zip on https://mdfs.net/Apps/Networking/

Is this the correct fileset? Or are there others?
Rgds
Stephen
BeebMaster

Re: ArthurLib ?

Post by BeebMaster »

I don't think there was much as standard in "ArthurLib". The Level 4 file server support disc only has 3 files in its ArthurLib directory - SetFree (set user free space), SetStation (set Econet station number) and Users.

A lot of library utilities used on Beebs like LEX, FREE, DISCS, FS, PS etc. are already in RISC OS.

A few of the files in the archive on MDFS are SJ Research utils like CV, VERS, STATIONS and some are JGH's own utils.
paintings

Post by paintings »

According to "Introduction to AUN" in the RISC OS Select PRM, $.ArthurLib exists to allow Archimedes and BBC Micro clients to use different library directories on a file server. This is controlled by *Configure Lib (0=use default library, 1=use $.ArthurLib). The default is "use $.ArthurLib".

A quick glance at NetLibA suggests that the filenames are the sort of things you'd want in a networked library directory, but the file timestamps are all over the place so it's a bit difficult to decide what version of RISC OS they are intended for (some have 1988 dates which suggests Arthur, but others have post-2000 dates which suggests RISC OS 4).
BeebMaster wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:35 pm
The Level 4 file server support disc only has 3 files in its ArthurLib directory - SetFree (set user free space), SetStation (set Econet station number) and Users.
Those utilities are for network administrators, not end users. Placing those in an end-user's library directory would be a ... brave ... decision. Or perhaps all the users of your network count as "network administrators" in which case it doesn't matter all that much.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Well, they are the genuine contents of ArthurLib as supplied by Acorn on the install discs, and would have owner access only hopefully, so that non-owners of ArthurLib (everyone except a system privileged user) wouldn't be able to run them. Using the Level 4 file server recently seemed to show that it hides owner-access files from users who only have public access to the directory they are in.

Libraries grow organically so you won't find identical Library/ArthurLib contents between different actively used file servers. It's normally a case of "ooh that's useful" and then you copy it to the Library so it's always there.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

For reference, here's the contents of ArthurLib on my current L4 file server:
scrn0.png
Oops, I've got public access on SetStation!

Similar on L3 file server:
my_photo-32.jpg
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

paintings wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:05 pm
A quick glance at NetLibA suggests that the filenames are the sort of things you'd want in a networked library directory, but the file timestamps are all over the place so it's a bit difficult to decide what version of RISC OS they are intended for (some have 1988 dates which suggests Arthur, but others have post-2000 dates which suggests RISC OS 4).
They'll work on all versions of RISC OS - or at least, all versions of RISC OS that support NetFS. If the date is 1988 it's because it hasn't needed to be changed. If the date is 2018 it's not because it's for RISC OS-2018, it's because I or somebody else only got around to writing it in 2018. The whole point of ArthurLib is that the contents are intended for Arthur/RISC OS. Not a version of Arthur/RISC OS, just Arthur/RISC OS. That's the whole point of a shared network library - it's shared to *everybody*. If something needs to do something different on different operating systems, then the program itself has to choose to do that itself, not require you to set up seperate libraries for seperate versions of the same operating system.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.36
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2020
>_

Return to “32-bit acorn software: other”