!PackMan "Failed to start the configuration"

discuss general risc os software applications and utilities
Related forum: adventures

sh0dan

!PackMan "Failed to start the configuration"

Post by sh0dan »

I've been trying to troubleshoot an issue I have on an A7000 and a RISC PC with RISC OS 3.7 and uniboot 2. I'm currently out of ideas and cant find anything online which references the error.

When I attempt to install a package via !PackMan I get the attached error, "Failed to start the configuration". Attempting to install any package appears to result in the same error.

If I enable logging and then ask for the log after the above, then it informs me that not a log has not been created yet.

Other network operations such as Access+ file shares appear to work as expected. As does downloading of packages lists in !PackMan.

Updating to the latest version of !PackMan made no difference.

I have attempted not booting using uniboot, moving the configuration database and installation folders around, using the Hard Drive instead of Zide etc... So far nothing has resolved it for me.

!PackMan does work on a virtual RISC PC /Windows computer with a default RISC OS 4 disk image.

The !PackMan sources are JASPP, RISC OS ARM v5 and v7. I have been concentrating on JASPP as I feel I have had that working on another acorn in the past. It could be I've not configured !PackMan correctly for the ARM chip version but cant find any documentation to indicate that.

Does anyone have any suggestions for anything else I could try?

Thanks!
Attachments
PackMan.jpg
sh0dan

Re: !PackMan "Failed to start the configuration"

Post by sh0dan »

After many hours of trial and error I eventually managed to find a solution, so posting here in case anyone searches for this error in the future.

I found this post: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17334&p=240226&hil ... EY#p240226

"use a long file names tool"

Loading and enabling LongFiles on the drive where the apps folder and packages database was stored resolved the error for me: http://www.tribbeck.com/index.php/software/longfiles

Of interest, it didnt seem to matter whether the folder it created and app name for the package it installed was in fact a long file name as it required the above anyway.

Return to “32-bit acorn software: other”