RISC OS Direct for Dummies

discuss general risc os software applications and utilities
Related forum: adventures

English Invader

RISC OS Direct for Dummies

Post by English Invader » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:43 am

I'm thinking of running RISC OS on a Raspberry Pi as a means to explore the Archimedes games library.

How compatible is the contemporary RISC OS? Is it 100% compatible? Is it 95% compatible? 60% compatible? Or compatible in the sense that a few games might work here and there but most of them will have bugs and crash and some just won't work at all?

I'm interested in RISC OS as an affordable and risk averse entry point into the Archimedes. As far as I can tell, there are a lot of gotchas with the original hardware in its various forms and I want to get a better idea of what I'm in for before buying. Are there any other solutions?

sydney

Re: RISC OS Direct for Dummies

Post by sydney » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:34 am

I think 99% of Archimedes games will not work without using something like ADFFS(I think). Just buying a boxed game on eBay and trying to get it to work isn't going to happen.

Maybe here will provide some good answers: https://forums.jaspp.org.uk/forum/viewf ... ff0dd9c880

IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:31 pm

English Invader wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:43 am
Are there any other solutions?
You'll get a LOT further with http://b-em.bbcmicro.com/arculator/

danielj

Post by danielj » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:54 pm

+1 for Arculator - the Pi isn't the best platform. If you are going to go on an exploration of Arc games on original hardware, make sure you go for something Pre-RiscPC with 4MB of RAM - i.e. A310 +RAM upgrade through to A4000 - you might find an A5000, but they are expensive and often rather battery destroyed. The A310/A410/A440s tend to suffer less from battery damage than the A30x0/A4000/A5000s as the battery isn't directly attached to the motherboard.

steve3000

Post by steve3000 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:46 pm

English Invader wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:43 am
I'm thinking of running RISC OS on a Raspberry Pi as a means to explore the Archimedes games library.
Running RISC OS 5 on the Pi is a great way to find out about modern RISC OS, but it will not run games created 25-30 years ago for RISC OS 2 or 3... much like Windows 10 won't run Windows 3.1 games... The hardware and operating systems have moved on.

As others have said, using an Archimedes emulator is probably the most straight forward way to play old games. But if you do experiment with modern RISC OS 5 then !ADFFS is definitely worth installing. This allows many old games to run natively under RISC OS 5 by patching their code in real time.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:37 pm

Is there any chance of Arculator ever being ported to RISC OS to address the limitations of ADFFS?

danielj

Post by danielj » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:22 am

ArcEm runs on riscos - although it's rather more convenient to run an emulator not on a raspberry pi running riscos if it's not your only machine! It adds another layer of "stuff" that has to be dealt with (like how to get files on/off)...

ADFFS itself isn't limited - you're trying to run a game on hardware it wasn't designed for and it does its best to mitigate if it can.

richw

Post by richw » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:26 am

In my experience, ADFFS on a Pi is the best option.

The hardware offers easy internet access, SD card storage, an HDMI interface, ability to use common keyboards, mice and joysticks.

You can run the later RISC OS games like SF3000 or Dark Wood (which benefit from faster hardware than an 8MHz ARM2). And the earlier stuff will run at the correct speed. In a few cases, ADFFS includes things like bug fixes for the original game code! Oh, and there is no mucking about with physical floppies.

I have nothing bad to say about Arculator - it is pretty amazing. But ADFFS on a Pi is pretty impressive.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:06 pm

I'd like to use Arculator but I'm on Linux Mint and, while there is a Linux port, I'm hopeless at compiling from source without very specific guidance. Plus I'm the kind of person that needs a dedicated piece of hardware in front of him before he can take a system seriously; something that allows me to say "that's my Archimedes!" - an emulator on my laptop doesn't cut it.

I've used a Raspberry Pi to run Amibian before (an Amiga specific distro that focuses solely on running UAE) and it uses an old fashioned MS-DOS style file transfer manager to transfer files from USB over to the Pi's SD card. Does RISC OS use something like that?

Return to “32-bit acorn software: other”