Is there an archiving project for RISC OS applications?

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)Related forum: adventures

philpem

Is there an archiving project for RISC OS applications?

Post by philpem » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:14 am

Question as per subject really -- is there a central archiving project (or at least "indexing all the archives" project) going on for RISC OS applications?

I'm aware of JASPP for games, 4corn's collection of Acorn developer and browser CDs and a couple of torrents, but I haven't seen much in the way of application archiving.

I've got copies of several apps kicking around that I've been archiving locally (I don't expect the floppies to last much longer!) and I'm in the process of acquiring more, but I'm curious if anyone else is doing the same thing I am.

I've also got a ton of software boxes with manuals but no disks... :-/

danielj

Re: Is there an archiving project for RISC OS applications?

Post by danielj » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:43 am

It's a bit tricky. The 8-bit stuff is very much "almost no one gives a stuff and people are happy to see it archived for the most part.". The RISC OS world has many people who are still actively attempting to charge for rather old software. E.g. Impression has recently been revamped and re-released. I suspect you'd start finding yourself on the receiving end of nasty letters.

Clares stuff, for example, has been sat on for over 4 years:

http://www.apdl.org.uk/

d.

philpem

Post by philpem » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:07 pm

danielj wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:43 am
It's a bit tricky. The 8-bit stuff is very much "almost no one gives a stuff and people are happy to see it archived for the most part.". The RISC OS world has many people who are still actively attempting to charge for rather old software. E.g. Impression has recently been revamped and re-released. I suspect you'd start finding yourself on the receiving end of nasty letters.

Clares stuff, for example, has been sat on for over 4 years:

http://www.apdl.org.uk/

d.
I was thinking more along the lines of a spiritual extension to JASPP, along the lines of what SPS were doing for Amiga --
  • It's still available for sale -- link to the developer's website, Plingstore, etc.
  • It's not available but the developer is still around -- approach the developer and see if they're willing to make it available either at a nominal fee (in which case it goes on the "available to buy" list) or release it entirely free.
  • Permission has been given to release it free -- download link, or link to the developer's website if they prefer to control distribution.
  • No clue -- it's listed as "archived - and we'd like to know who currently owns copyright". Maybe offer copies of the archived image to people who submit an archive copy of their own (e.g. to replace a virus-damaged disk). If the developer still exists - well, point them in the right direction.
The main thing being to get this stuff preserved (a la a library) while it's still readable, and copyright issues can be dealt with as an ongoing process.

Incidentally I'm sitting on some software which was released to me with the intent of making it open-source -- Merlyn Kline / dEC_dATA's ClearView hypertext documentation system for one, Jacob Rief's PowerRouter PCB router for another. I really need to get my RISC PC working and release those... ClearView for instance is fully 32-bit compatible, provided you don't use Ace animations in your files (the Euclid module isn't 32bit clean).

As for the APDL situation -- I'd take that down the path of approaching the people maintaining the website and asking for permission to release the older versions. It might get them a bit of breathing space to finish sorting through the APDL hard drives!
Last edited by philpem on Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danielj

Post by danielj » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:31 pm

I think that sounds good, but it is a lot of work!

re. APDL, AFAIK they've rebuffed all offers of help and release requests. Which frankly is a crying shame.

d.

philpem

Post by philpem » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:35 pm

danielj wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:31 pm
I think that sounds good, but it is a lot of work!

re. APDL, AFAIK they've rebuffed all offers of help and release requests. Which frankly is a crying shame.
The difficulty is going to be tracking down the current copyright owners. For some products like Clearview it's clear-cut, for others it's a twisty maze of sales, contracts, agreements and he-said-she-said.

For an apps list, I was thinking the old RISC OS Products Directory might be a good data source, but the data will need curating.

In re APDL.. yeah, I've seen the posts on CSA.*. It can't be an easy task, I wouldn't envy the poor soul who had to go through my PC's hard drive and filter out the wheat from the chaff!
Some of the stuff I've taken on was zipped up development directories with invoices, timesheets, other commercial software and so on included. While it's interesting (in the sense of giving an insight into development processes), it's also the sort of stuff one generally doesn't release publicly without express permission!
I can only imagine that the APDL situation is a mix of that, magnified, with real-life time pressures thrown in for good measure. I'm not in the business of lobbing rocks, it doesn't half hurt your arms after a while!

davidb

Post by davidb » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:49 am

It would be good to have a list of titles kept somewhere. It could just be in a repository on one of the popular project hosting sites (GitLab, GitHub, etc.) if things were to be done minimally. There's a stardot Github organisation you can join if you want to do things there.

You probably know about these activities, but maybe it's worth mentioning them here:
  • David Pilling has released a lot of his old software.
  • John (flaxcottage) is archiving 8-bit educational software, though I did send some 32-bit stuff his way (mostly scans).
  • The Archiology site has images of Acorn's application and support disks.
  • A few people have private archives of imaged floppy disks. We could usefully go through these and make the metadata available.
I was in touch with Merlyn a few years ago regarding Impulse. It would be good to see some of the resources around that being made available, but I'm less optimistic about that now. The same goes for ARX. I realise that this is tangential to what you're aiming for.

So, please start a project for this if you want to. It would be extremely useful, especially as the 32-bit stuff gets more attention from retro-enthusiasts and collectors.

z0m8ied0g

Post by z0m8ied0g » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:32 pm

I've been archiving a pretty large collection of Risc OS applications that I've got.
The disks are all being run through my Kryoflux but I've got a lot of work to do. The intention is to scan the manuals and boxes.
I've thought about setting up a database containing all the bits for each title.
Acorn... lots of Acorn... http://blog.retroacorn.net