Black Angel

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)Related forum: adventures

Dunkinator

Re: Black Angel

Post by Dunkinator » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:16 pm

@jms - No error message, just no option to reply or PM you!

jms2

Post by jms2 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:37 pm

Are pms enabled for you generally? I see you've only made 15 posts in total, so maybe not yet.

Solution: I will PM you my email address.

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:11 pm

Thought I'd give this game another try as I still need to record a video of it. I've still not figured out how to jump between systems, but am pretty sure it can be done as you can buy gate passes from planets and space stations.

The other issue I'm finding is how to navigate around a system, for example you might take a job to deliver a parcel to planet Dill - but have no idea where Dill is in the system. Added to that, the whole "press L" to log messages in the ships log is frustrating as its easy to forget.

I'd say the game also has some major bugs, for example other ships in the area always stay in your local space - as if the game isn't adjusting their position relative to you based on your vector/speed. The other big issue appears to be the Save option, which is invariably greyed out - I'll have to have a look at the BASIC code to see why it's doing this, as it doesn't appear to be consistent.

jpagen

Post by jpagen » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:07 pm

Hi, I've been trying to image disc 1 of black angel using ADFFS but it reports a bad block towards the end. I guess 25+ years is a long time to expect magnetic media to last! I came across this relatively recent discussion.

Can anyone help please?

Disc 2 backed up fine but that is not much on it's own! :)

Thanks

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:22 pm

jpagen wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:07 pm
Hi, I've been trying to image disc 1 of black angel using ADFFS but it reports a bad block towards the end
If you're imaging to a JFD using ADFFS 2.70 the last two blocks should be marked as protection sectors. If you're attempting to image to ADF, it would probably show them as bad blocks.

If you are seeing bad sectors imaging to JFD, carefully clean both sides of the disc surface with a Q-tip and something alcohol based such as floppy cleaning fluid or cheap nail varnish remover. Clean the heads of the floppy as well, with a suitable floppy head cleaning disc/fluid.

You might also want to try increasing the retry count. I've not put an option in the imager GUI for it yet, but if you edit !ADFFS.imaging.imageJFD2 just increase the "retries" variable on line 6.

jpagen

Post by jpagen » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:47 pm

Thanks sirbod!
Yes I am using ADFFS and trying to image to a JFD file. I was on v2.68 so I have updated to v2.70

I tried cleaning and increasing the retries to 10 but it still aborts about 7 blocks from the end with a bad block(ie shaded red).

I wondered if there is a way of getting ADFFS to continue rather than abort when it hits a bad block? I can copy the files off the floppy OK so I guess the bad block is in an unused area of the disk. Of course the remaining blocks may also be bad but I cannot get that far. Strangely, if I try a '*VERIFY' of the disc is passes.

Thanks

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:10 pm

sirbod wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:22 pm
cheap nail varnish remover.
Not this - it's acetone, it does horrible things to many plastics. Floppy cleaning fluid (which is Isopropyl Alcohol)! You can actually use soapy water on a floppy disc, but it takes ages to dry.

d.

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:28 pm

jpagen wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:47 pm
Thanks sirbod!
I tried cleaning and increasing the retries to 10 but it still aborts about 7 blocks from the end with a bad block(ie shaded red).

I wondered if there is a way of getting ADFFS to continue rather than abort when it hits a bad block? I can copy the files off the floppy OK so I guess the bad block is in an unused area of the disk. Of course the remaining blocks may also be bad but I cannot get that far. Strangely, if I try a '*VERIFY' of the disc is passes.
It shouldn't abort when it sees a bad sector, many games rely on bad sectors for protection, it should just carry on until it's reached the end of the disk.

Is it actually crashing, or reporting an error? Does it save JFD at the end of it?

I'll double check the code over the weekend, but I'm sure I've imaged dozens of floppies with bad sectors. That said, I may have introduced a bug in recent patches.

If you're imaging it having selected Black Angel from the drop down, the sector contains something important as ADFFS only grabs sectors required by the game. Unless of course you have a different release of Black Angel that I haven't seen yet. I've imaged a few copies and none had bad sectors, just two protection blocks at the end of the floppy.
danielj wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:10 pm
sirbod wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:22 pm
cheap nail varnish remover.
Not this - it's acetone, it does horrible things to many plastics.
I'm possibly getting confused with something else then, the stuff I have is alcohol based from Tesco - the sort of stuff no woman would ever buy as it's absolutely useless at removing nail varnish. As you say though, floppy cleaning fluid is the best option.
Last edited by sirbod on Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jpagen

Post by jpagen » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:01 pm

Thanks sirbod and danielj.

Maybe !ADFFS was getting to the end but the last 6 blocks stayed white. The last block attempted was showing red(ie bad) rather than yellow for protected.

Just tried again but now I have 3 bad/red blocks near the end. That proves it is not aborting after the first red block.
Hopefully I just moved some of the dirt around and have not caused damage. I have ordered some more isopropanyl alcohol so will try again when it arrives and then report back.

Thanks again

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:36 pm

jpagen wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:01 pm
Maybe !ADFFS was getting to the end but the last 6 blocks stayed white. The last block attempted was showing red(ie bad) rather than yellow for protected.

Just tried again but now I have 3 bad/red blocks near the end. That proves it is not aborting after the first red block.
I've updated the How to image a floppy disc with ADFFS page, to clarify some of the issues you've seen. The final six tracks wont be imaged for most games, as they're tracks 160 to 165.

Whilst creating the PNG files, I also fixed a bug that's preventing selection of the correct recording file via the title drop-down menu. How that issue got past testing I dont know :oops:. As it may be a few weeks before ADFFS 2.72 is released (it's in final beta testing), I've attached the corrected imageJFD file for you, just overwrite !ADFFS.imaging.imageJFD with the contents of the attached ZIP (now removed as it would seem there's possibly more issues with it)
Last edited by sirbod on Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

jpagen

Post by jpagen » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:20 pm

Thanks for the updated file and clarifying the instructions.

I got around to re-cleaning both sides of the disc with some more Isopropyl alcohol today. After replacing !ADFFS.imaging.imageJFD with the file in the ZIP, I am unable to select Black Angel from the drop down menu so I went back to v2.69.

Unfortunately it is still reporting the last block as bad/red when creating the JFD. I guess the disc is corrupt :(

Thanks for trying!

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:34 am

jpagen wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:20 pm
After replacing !ADFFS.imaging.imageJFD with the file in the ZIP, I am unable to select Black Angel from the drop down menu so I went back to v2.69.
I'm sure I fixed that issue, so will test it yet again :roll:
jpagen wrote:
Unfortunately it is still reporting the last block as bad/red when creating the JFD. I guess the disc is corrupt :(
Did you try the resulting image file?

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:23 pm

sirbod wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:34 am
jpagen wrote:
After replacing !ADFFS.imaging.imageJFD with the file in the ZIP, I am unable to select Black Angel from the drop down menu so I went back to v2.69.
I'm sure I fixed that issue, so will test it yet again :roll:
I double checked the version of imageJFD I posted for you, and it definitely resolved that particular issue. Could you please describe what you did and what happened, so I can see if I can recreate the problem.

jpagen

Post by jpagen » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:32 pm

Thanks for following up.

I reinstalled v2.7 of !ADDFS, deleted !ADFFS.imaging.imageJFD and unzipped the new imageJFD file to the !ADFFS.imaging directory.

I'm fairly sure I did it correctly but I will give it another go in the next day or so. v2.69 allows me to select Black Angel from the drop down list but I don't get a usable JFD file (it reboots). I've tried creating other JFD files which work fine.

jpagen

Post by jpagen » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:35 pm

Just tried unzipping V2.70 ADFFS again and overwriting the ImageJFD with the one posted on 15 Feb 2019 (removed on 19th Feb).

Unfortunately I can confirm that I am unable to select Black Angel from the drop down menu when trying to create a JFD. I tried doing a DOS FC comparison of the old and new ImageJFD Basic files but it reports they are the same.

Sorry to mention DOS on this forum...I cannot remember if there is a way to compare files on Riscos :)

Going back to v2.69 the resulting JFD causes a reboot. Clearly others have successfully created JFDs from disc 1 of black angel so it is probably an issue with my disc which must be around 26 years old.

sirbod

Post by sirbod » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:03 am

jpagen wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:35 pm
I tried doing a DOS FC comparison of the old and new ImageJFD Basic files but it reports they are the same.
I've reattached it for you to grab again as I definitely fixed the selection bug. I've done an FC /B and this is definitely the fixed version.
Attachments
imageJFD.zip
(6.09 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

jpagen

Post by jpagen » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:13 pm

Thanks for uploading again...that fixed the drop down menu :) Disc 1 still reports bad on the last block which causes a reboot if I try and use the JFD. Tried cleaning the disc again so I think there is not much else we can do.

Thanks again.