Vantage - any way to get this working?

chat about arc/risc pc gaming & RISC OS software here (NOT the core OS!)Related forum: adventures

philpem

Vantage - any way to get this working?

Post by philpem » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:07 pm

Hello folks,

Some time ago, a work colleague gave me a box full of CD-ROMs and manuals for RISC OS software. I've got a bunch of fonts, Datapower, and a few other things... but most interesting to me is a copy of Cerilica Vantage.

There are two CDs and a manual. One CD has the "Vantage" inlay in the jewel case, "Copyright 2001 Cerilica". The second CD has no inlay at all, the CD reads "Copyright 1999 Cerilica".

I seem to recall the copy protection on Vantage being somewhat onerous... though it was some time ago, so perhaps I'm misremembering.

Before I go digging the RISC PC out, does anyone know if it'd be possible to get Vantage up and running?

I remember seeing it running at the Wakefield RISCOS Show back in the Thornes Park days, and seeing the Vantage demo (and Cerilica's talk of the Nucleus machine). It'd be very cool to have a proper play with it myself!

Cheers,
Phil.

sirbod

Re: Vantage - any way to get this working?

Post by sirbod » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:44 am

philpem wrote:I seem to recall the copy protection on Vantage being somewhat onerous... though it was some time ago, so perhaps I'm misremembering.

Before I go digging the RISC PC out, does anyone know if it'd be possible to get Vantage up and running?
A quick Google finds this article which states the copy protection was removed in v1.11. So if your query is about how to circumvent the protection, you need to find the upgrade.

EDIT: A bit more Googling found these: ReadMe.txt, v1.10, v1.10c, v1.11

philpem

Post by philpem » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:26 am

sirbod wrote:A quick Google finds this article which states the copy protection was removed in v1.11. So if your query is about how to circumvent the protection, you need to find the upgrade.

Ah ha! Nice one! I had no idea there was a "remove the copy protection" patch released. I found a different Drobe article on my travels, but not that one. In my defence, I was always an ArtWorks bunny :D

I might well have to dig out a copy of RPCEmu (unless there's something better out now) and give it a shot!

philpem

Post by philpem » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:58 pm

sirbod wrote:
philpem wrote:I seem to recall the copy protection on Vantage being somewhat onerous... though it was some time ago, so perhaps I'm misremembering.

A quick Google finds this article which states the copy protection was removed in v1.11. So if your query is about how to circumvent the protection, you need to find the upgrade.

I've just given this a go, and it seems that while the registration requirement is gone, you still need a valid "Cerilikey" file to get the software running.

So without that floppy disk, it seems the CDs are scrap -- which is a shame, as one of them contains the V0.10 pre-release and the other contains the final Vantage release software which upgrades cleanly to 1.10c and thence to 1.11.

:(

davidb

Post by davidb » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:52 pm

Have you asked about this on the ROOL forums? I'm sure there are people reading those who had something to do with Cerilica back in the day.

nytrex

Post by nytrex » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:27 am

davidb wrote:Have you asked about this on the ROOL forums? I'm sure there are people reading those who had something to do with Cerilica back in the day.
The author of Vantage, goes by the name of 'Nemo' on the ROOL forums, so that would be a great place to ask. He's not on that often so prepare for a wait to get a reply though.

davidb

Post by davidb » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:09 pm

That's the fellow. :)