This year's Replay / 13-14 Oct 2012 / Manchester

threads relating to past classic gaming/computing events
Arcadian
Site Admin

This year's Replay / 13-14 Oct 2012 / Manchester

Post by Arcadian »

The dates (13/14 October) and location (Manchester) were recently confirmed for this year's Replay Expo via the Replay Events Twitter Feed.

Later tonight the actual venue - as well as the new name for the event - will also be confirmed, exclusively to newsletter subscribers.

Anyway, as a quick heads up for any StarDot members that are planning on attending this year's event whom would like to get a hotel real close to the venue, I'd recommend you get onto this place asap: http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/MANT ... entre-west

Because once word gets out about the new venue, hotel prices at this (and others in the vicinity) will keep on going up as more and more people book.

(I know there's another Premier Inn right behind this one - Trafford Centre South - but it's much smaller and we've already snagged all of the twin rooms there!).
For a "Complete BBC Games Archive" visit www.bbcmicro.co.uk
Arcadian
Site Admin

Re: (RE)PLAY 2012 / 13-14 Oct 2012 / Manchester

Post by Arcadian »

sorvad

Re: This year's Replay / 13-14 Oct 2012 / Manchester

Post by sorvad »

Poo, can't make these dates :( Oh well, enjoy whoever goes.
TopBanana

Post by TopBanana »

So Mrs TB said to me ther other night "Would you like to go to the gaming thing in Manchester in a couple of weeks time ? I'll come with you"

"Why on earth would you want to go to that ?" I asked, slightly bemused ....

"Because I can go shopping while you play with your friends" she said.

So chaps, a good offer ? Or is my credit card going to take a battering if I let her loose in the local shops ? :shock: :) :lol:
retroclinic

Post by retroclinic »

TopBanana wrote:So Mrs TB said to me ther other night "Would you like to go to the gaming thing in Manchester in a couple of weeks time ? I'll come with you"

"Why on earth would you want to go to that ?" I asked, slightly bemused ....

"Because I can go shopping while you play with your friends" she said.

So chaps, a good offer ? Or is my credit card going to take a battering if I let her loose in the local shops ? :shock: :) :lol:
Well, better go to that than Eurogamer - let her loose in West London and there's Harrods just down the road :shock:

Mark.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Mein gott! Actual, real, genuine, authentic interest in this year's show! :shock: ;)

Anyway, for anyone wondering how Replay (or should I say, re.play at Play Expo) compares to the 2010/2011 events in terms of scale - check out the following clip, which I recorded last month whilst traipsing around the venue:

(God the place is big ... I needed a good sit down after filming that walkthrough!!).

Tickets still available from http://www.playexpo.net/tickets ... grab yours while you still can! etc etc!
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Forgot to say, the three Premier Inns around the Trafford Centre have been booked up for a long time, but I need to return some double/twin rooms that we no longer require at Premier Inn Trafford Centre South (which is the closest hotel to the venue ... literally next door!).

The reservations are for Friday and Saturday night and cost £65 per night.

If anybody would like me to transfer the reservation across to them, please drop me an email at dave.moore AT replayevents DOT com

Ta.
Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise »

If anyone has any questions they'd like to put to Martin Edmondson (Ravenskull, Codename: Droid etc.), take a look at this topic.

Cheers,

Sam.
regregex

Post by regregex »

I do like to jump in late to these things... not this time though.

But, in case the video doesn't make it clear, that place is big - you could fit six Norcalympias in there. Have a great time everybody!

Greg
tubbyasstoo

Post by tubbyasstoo »

regregex wrote:I do like to jump in late to these things... not this time though.

But, in case the video doesn't make it clear, that place is big - you could fit six Norcalympias in there. Have a great time everybody!

Greg

Ah.... memories of the mid 80s computer shows at earls court olympia

Both halls packed out...all levels filled...deafening music being played...some fantastic bargains to be had....lots of freebees ....i wonder what happened to all my acornsoft pin badges ? Schoolboys rocking up to the acornsoft stand and blatantly pirating stuff off their econet system LOL
The Kraken

Post by The Kraken »

So... no write-up yet? Then I'll do my best :)

Jonathan and I turned up immediately after breakfast on the Saturday, and were very glad we did... I estimate there were about 100 people ahead of us, and 1000 in the queue total by the time the doors opened! Unlike previous events, there was nothing in the corridor outside, the anticipation focused entirely on the moment of stepping through the door. And what a moment! As you can see even just from the thumbnail of the above picture, the hall was *huge* -- everything that was at previous Replay events in a single room -- rows and rows of computers and consoles; a section of arcade machines and another of pinball machines; a tournament area; a stage for announcements and the cosplay section -- and then once you started exploring, you realised that that was only the first half!

As I can't possibly describe everything that was there, I'll follow tradition and describe only the things I did, to give you a picture of the event from one player's perspective. Well, I started by making a beeline for the consoles, and was very pleased to see Sonic 3 making its first appearance at a Replay event. I spent quite a bit of time on that game on both days, but didn't complete it -- the last level has a few too many terrain traps where you can get stuck and have no choice but to wait for the timer to expire. After that, I wandered around to see what else was there... each year, there's always one new fighting game that I get really absorbed by, and this time it was Persona 4 Arena. There were just three machines, and for most of the day they were in constant use. I got a few goes, but I was most looking forward to a one-player game, which I got at the end of the day. However, I hadn't anticipated that it began with around ten minutes of storyline... and I was just getting close to the start of actual play when the man came to pack up! He was very understanding and waited while I played one match :)

In between, I stepped outside of the main hall for a while and actually got to meet Martin Edmonson, of Ravenskull fame :) There wasn't time for a long chat, but I let him know that I'm a big fan, and got a photo :)

On the second day, it was time to get serious. They had a really neat system where there were even more games available than were in the machines, and you could request what you wanted to play. So, Sonic 2 went in, and I completed it after over an hour of play, my first time on an actual console :) After that, I finally managed to find a BBC Micro with a full games menu, and made another assault on that ancient but still formidable stronghold, Repton 2. After a couple of preliminary skirmishes, on my third attempt I put together a score of 27,313 with only parts of Screens E and H remaining, a personal best on an actual machine (though I have previously completed the game on an emulator).

I'm sure there were many other remarkable achievements that weekend -- the other one I witnessed was a player maxing the score counter on a Mr. Do arcade machine, reaching Scene 60-something. And, of course, the Mario Kart world record attempts, though I don't know whether they succeeded.

I didn't spend much time in the other "arm" of the T-shaped hall, but on one of my visits there, I was delighted to see Twinkle Star Sprites, the game I was so disappointed to have missed at a previous event. This time I finally got to have a go on it, and surprised myself by actually being quite good -- I reached Memory, the final boss, but couldn't beat her. It was a little disappointing that the event was so noisy, I couldn't hear Memory's theme, which is by far the best music in the game -- one of the best in any game.

By this stage, Sonic 2 had come out again and Sonic 3 was back in, and I spent some time watching a player who managed to get all the Chaos Emeralds (so far, my best is only two!) He still didn't complete the game, though, which just shows how extremely difficult the final boss is. While this was going on, Jonathan was happily playing Doom and trying to get 100% secrets on every level.

In a way, it felt like it was over too soon, though I can't really think of anything else I would have done if there had been more time. At any rate, I'm eagerly looking forward to next year :)
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Thanks Michael, appreciate you taking the time to write up and share your experiences - glad you had a good time! :)

Though I've got to say, it's such a shame that, after having such a strong presence at events between 2009 and 2011, the initial enthusiasm from within the Acorn/BBC community has evidently petered out completely. :(
Prime

Post by Prime »

Arcadian wrote: Though I've got to say, it's such a shame that, after having such a strong presence at events between 2009 and 2011, the initial enthusiasm from within the Acorn/BBC community has evidently petered out completely. :(
Not completely, I was there, IanS was there with the chap who's name I can't remember, as was samwise, so that's 4 of us....... :) :) :)

Cheers.

Phill.
Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise »

Yeah, that sounds a little unfair. Putting aside my own contributions in the days before and during the event, GaryF was there with IanS, as was Phill/Prime, plus Michael/The Kraken and Jonathan/kingcobra. Given we purposely agreed to reduce the number of events we push to the Acorn crowd here to just a couple (Wakefield and The Videolympics) at the start of the year as we'd kinda oversaturated last year, that seems to me to be a pretty good turnout!

I do have to make a personal apology to Michael - sorry if it seemed like I was rushing off with Martin Edmondson when we bumped into you in the entrance hall. He was due on stage as part of the first Q&A panel, and I genuinely thought that you could catch up with him again at his own Q&A session later in the afternoon. Alas, without the audio-visual gear turning up, the talks on Sat. ended up being cancelled. I did have a look through the crowd for you later, but didn't spot you again. Still, at least you got a pic. :) I also managed to get a few copies of some of his games signed which I'll try and get into a charity auction at some point ...

Sam.
TopBanana

Post by TopBanana »

Arcadian wrote:Though I've got to say, it's such a shame that, after having such a strong presence at events between 2009 and 2011, the initial enthusiasm from within the Acorn/BBC community has evidently petered out completely. :(
I wouldn't say the enthusiasm has petered out. Times are tough Dave and Manchester is a long way for us Southern Softies to drive to, especially if it might rain on us too :shock: It would be a fairly expensive weekend - £150 on fuel, £100 on a hotel, eating out, the price of tickets and miscellaneous expenses would take the total cost to about £400 and that's cash that can be put towards next years holiday (see below).

I also found it difficult to ascertain what arcade machines would be there - it's a long way to come hoping to see some rare cabinets and be disappointed - more information would be great :D :D

So for me, I'm saving for next years holiday which will include 2 days dedicated to the American Classic Arcade Museum at Funspot - Mad Planets, Star Force, the obligatory Defender and Stargate, Robotron, Space Invaders pt II, Cosmic Alien, Jump Bug, PacMan, Gorf, Ghosts and Goblins, Mr Do, Mr Do's Castle and proper Gauntlet arcade machines for Mrs TopBanana to play on :D :D :D

Match that line up and I'll be first in the queue =D>
sweh

Post by sweh »

TopBanana wrote:the total cost to about £400
That was a brand new Beeb, BITD
Rgds
Stephen
Dave Footitt

Post by Dave Footitt »

I agree, it's not so much enthusiasm has waned, it's the cost of the entire weekend running into hundreds of pounds for me, I just can't afford that sort of money now.

I try and pick a few lower-profile shows to attend, since I figure the Play Expo can do just fine without my presence :)
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

I'll come to Replay 2013 if there is one! Missed this years, but went to the Kent GEEK event earlier in the year and the first two Replays which were utterly fantastic.

I really wanted to go to a couple of Acorn specific ones this yr too (the anniversary thing at ARM HQ and also Wakefield), but I was out of work for a while, so couldn't justify the expense (ticket price in Cambridge case and travel in Wakefield case).

Please continue to publicise retro events. I'll be sure to turn up to some now that I'm back in work!
..I'll be at the Virtual Acorn meetup for Cambridge Computer Museum May 16th 2020
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

The Kraken wrote:While this was going on, Jonathan was happily playing Doom and trying to get 100% secrets on every level.
Good man! Wondering if he plays online at all...?
helpful

Post by helpful »

jbnbeeb wrote:Please continue to publicise retro events. I'll be sure to turn up to some now that I'm back in work!
Not sure if it is retro enough for you, particularly as our Beeb quota this year is very low :-( but the RISC OS London show is next Saturday, and it's only a fiver to get in :-)
http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

Return to “past events & exhibitions”