Retro Revolution - 1st Oct 2011 - Chelmsford

threads relating to past classic gaming/computing events
StarshipUK

Retro Revolution - 1st Oct 2011 - Chelmsford

Post by StarshipUK » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:12 pm

Retro Gaming Revolution is a retro gaming event being held at The Red Lion in Chelmsford, Essex on Saturday 1st October 2011. The Pubs Postcode is CM2 0AA. The event runs from Midday to 2AM. Entry is FREE!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=248880938472846

I am also pleased to announce that the event will be featuring Atari User Live (http://www.atariuser.com). There will be a few tables full of Atari systems including an Atari 7800 and Atari Jaguar CD.

For those drinking and staying down, the cheapest and closest hotel is: http://www.southlodgehotelchelmsford.co.uk/ and not too far away is: [url]http://www.travelodge.co.u​k/hotels/info?hotelId=384[/url] and for those with more money, another closer hotel is: [url]http://www.miamihotel.co.u​k/[/url]

TRANSPORT INFO:
By Air
The nearest major airport is Stansted Airport and is 19 Miles from Chelmsford. There are two bus services which run between Stansted Airport and Chelmsford. The Stansted Aircoach X30 which costs £12.50 for a return ticket and Local service bus 42A, which also stops close to The Red Lion.

By Rail and Bus
The nearest train station is Chelmsford, with trains departing London Liverpool Street on a regular basis. The train station is 15 Minutes walk to The Red Lion and also has a never-ending supply of Taxis. It can also be reached from the train station by bus, with the bus stops and bus station located directly next to the train station. The nearest bus stop is called Chelmsford Queen Street and is 5 stops away, and stops just past The Red Lion going out of Chelmsford, and just before The Red Lion when going towards Chelmsford.

The buses which stop at Chelmsford, Queen Street are:
14 or 15 Bus towards Wickford, Railway Station from Stand 10.
32 Bus towards Ongar, Two Brewers from Stand 11.
42 or 42A Bus towards Galleywood, West Lawn from Stand 11.
100 Bus towards Lakeside, Bus Station (via Basildon) from Stand 5.
351 Bus towards Brentwood, Railway Station from Stand 5.

For national rail enquiries, please go to http://www.nationalrail.co.uk or call 08457 484950. For local bus and information please go to http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/essex/ or call 08456 020121.

By Car
The venue is 10 minutes from the A12 and can easily be accessed via Junctions 15, 17 or 19. Due to the close proximity of the town centre and Moulsham Road (a popular one-way shopping road leading from the town centre) all of the surrounding roads have 1 hour and resident permit parking only restrictions, with strict enforcement. There is however a public car park just across the road from the venue called “Moulsham Street Mixed Stay Surface Car Park” which is a pay and display car park which can be paid with coins or credit/debit card (minimum payment £3.90). The postcode given for the car park is CM2 0LG, although this can be inaccurate and I recommend you follow signs for Moulsham Street Car Park and view the Chelmsford Car Parking Map: http://www.chelmsford.gov.uk/media/pdf/ ... 090407.pdf and look for car park 25 on grid G8. The Red Lion is located in grid F9 on the corner on New London Road and Anchor Street.

Car Park Tariffs:
Saturday and Sunday (08:00-23:59):
Not Exceeding 1 Hour: Free
Not Exceeding 2 Hours: £1.70
Not Exceeding 3 Hours: £2.40
Maximum Stay: £3.90
Evening (17:00-23:59): £1.00

retroclinic

Re: Retro Revolution - 1st Oct 2011 - Chelmsford

Post by retroclinic » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:38 pm

OMGLOCAL! :lol:

Circumstances permitting, I'll probably pop along to that. Would you want me to bring along a machine or two (Beebs) for extra gaming, or are you sorted for that?

Thx, Mark.

StarshipUK

Post by StarshipUK » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:28 pm

Hi Mark, It would be good to see you there.

I am taking my beeb, which has an RetroClinic CF card device with most of the recent retro software releases installed on it, and a mmbeeb.

Thanks for the offer of bringing kit. It is a small pub, so to get a good variation of different systems there is only room for the one beeb this time, but hopefully if all goes well and there is a good turnout at this event, I may do another one in the future, perhaps at a different larger venue.

flynnjs

Post by flynnjs » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:33 pm

I'll try to get along too, although I've got alot on my plate around that time so it might need a bit of careful thought to plan it into the mix. Less than an hour away for me :D

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:52 pm

Yes, I'm going to do my darnest to get there too!

I'm glad I had the chance to give flynnjs a pointer to this last week. His eyes lit up with feverish plans on how he could rearrange his plans to get there. =D>

Sam.

flynnjs

Post by flynnjs » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:23 pm

Well, I've decided I'm not going as I've just got the beginning of a cold today and by the time I've finished a week at work I'll probably want to flake out at home all w/e.

Hope everyone enjoys...

TopBanana

Post by TopBanana » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:09 pm

retroclinic wrote:OMGLOCAL! :lol:

Circumstances permitting, I'll probably pop along to that. Would you want me to bring along a machine or two (Beebs) for extra gaming, or are you sorted for that?

Thx, Mark.
I thought that too - Mark, I'll buy you that pint I promised you ages ago :D

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:41 am

OK, it's looking like I'll be heading down with a mate for the evening. So we'll probably get there sometime around 18:00.

@TopBanana, do hunt me out if you're going to be around ...

Sam.

TopBanana

Post by TopBanana » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:33 pm

@Samwise - will you be wearing a pink carnation ? :D :lol:

Should be there in time for Gorf @1700

However, if England lose to Scotland tomorrow morning, I'll be in no fit state to play it :shock:

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:57 pm

haha. no way, man. I'll be the one with the Chuckie Egg T-shirt! :)

Sam.

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:15 am

Just got back in from a very enjoyable evening out at Retro Revolution, a fabulous well-organised event by our own StarshipUK and RG forum member Rinoa. =D>

When we arrived, as well as hailing StarshipUK, we were immediately greeted by RG forum members boggyb68 and retrogamefest - both now amply recovered from the Eurogamer Expo (though boggyb68 is still counting the cost of one memorable evening that weekend!). After brief introductions and meeting boggyb68 Jr. for the first time, we sat down for a drink and a chinwag. It wasn't long before I was delightfully surprised that long-time STH contributor regregex had made the trip over, and came outside to say hullo. Excellent!

If that wasn't enough, after eventually moving inside and having a play on some of StarshipUK's personal collection and the admirable collection of Atari gear (more Jaguar carts than I've ever seen in real life before!), I swapped a few words with Rinoa and then settled in to have a bit of fun on the beeb. I had only just got going when I had a tap on the shoulder - STH forum member jbnbeeb had popped in to see what was going on. It was great to put another face to a name, and we swapped stories for most of the rest of the evening.

All in all, this was a really chilled, relaxing event which was just great for chatting to ppl that I hadn't even been expecting to be there. No stress attached and it's great to see an event happening on this side of the country too.

Had a great time. :)

I took a few snaps of people which are included below - of particular note is the one of StarshipUK proudly demonstrating just how much it costs to post 6.5 Kg of jelly babies, as given away as prizes for the competitions held throughout the day. :lol:

Sam.
Attachments
IMG_0677.JPG
IMG_0677.JPG (82.83 KiB) Viewed 3030 times
IMG_0676.JPG
IMG_0676.JPG (68.19 KiB) Viewed 3030 times
IMG_0675.JPG
IMG_0675.JPG (76.83 KiB) Viewed 3030 times

retroclinic

Post by retroclinic » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:32 am

Sorry I missed this... :cry: ...Family issues meant I couldn't get any "time off" and was housebound for the day.

Looks like a nice local even tho from the pics.

Mark.

Stoppers

Post by Stoppers » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:50 am

Cool! A floating head!

TopBanana

Post by TopBanana » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:04 am

It was heaving when Mrs TopBanana and I got there, very little room to move around. There was a great selection of consoles set up and running and nearly all the machines were in use :D

Had a quick go on Gorf on the Jaguar and was absolutely pants - I used to be able to clear 5 or 6 levels on the arcade machine back in the day, didn't even get past the first warp stage :( So Mrs TopBanana and I played on the Binatone up at the bar and snagged the last two remaining packets of crips in the pub - apparently all the others had been munched earlier on in the day the barman said :lol:

Mrs TB was pleasantly surprised at the lack of Unix Beards and normal looking people in the room - for some reason she thinks all computer bods are geeks with comb-overs and unkempt beards :shock:

Sounds like we missed you Samwise, we left around 6pm and I didn't see anyone wearing a carnation or a Check Egg t-shirt :wink:

Must say well done to StarshipUK for arranging the event, top marks ! Great to have something local. When's the next one ?

Andy

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:43 pm

Yes, I'm afraid we were delayed coming down on the A12 so I think we just missed you. I believe we also missed firthmj of this parish, who made it down for the afternoon.

Ah, well. I'm sure our paths will cross again ... judging from the feedback topic in the RG forum it sounds like StarshipUK was happy with this event, and may well look at repeating his success around the same area next year.

Sam.

StarshipUK

Post by StarshipUK » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:06 pm

Just a quick post to thank all the STH forum members who came along.

Apologies for the lack of room. The pub told me 50 people would fit in the room I had the machines set up in, although it seemed crowded with just 20 people in there.

Far more people turned up than I expected. Rinoa will tell you I was a bit worried the night beforehand that no one would show up, or the pub would pull out or something would go wrong, but it all went fairly smoothly. I also was not expecting the first people to show up to later, but quite a few people showed up before the event officially started which was fantastic :)

I think the pub was also a bit surprised by the amount of people which showed up, so apologies for the lack of crisps - I'm just glad the beer did not run out :)

I am not sure if I will do another one, or if I do when it would be - But I have got March 2012 on my mind which is about 5 months from now.

The big question will be does it get held at the same pub, or should somewhere larger be found?

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:37 pm

It was a great night out, Steve. :)

If you do decide to host another one, I'm sure you'll get a decent turn-out again - as well as the other peeps mentioned in this topic, I know at least one other person from our gang who was disappointed his circumstances didn't permit him to attend.

Maybe it was because we arrived late, but it didn't seem too busy. I can imagine there were probably more ppl around earlier on in the afternoon, though.

Good job, tho =D> - thanks for putting in the time, effort and kit to give us another excuse to get together and extra bonus points for choosing a locale at this end of the country. :)

Sam.

firthmj

Post by firthmj » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:43 pm

StarshipUK wrote:Just a quick post to thank all the STH forum members who came along.

Apologies for the lack of room. The pub told me 50 people would fit in the room I had the machines set up in, although it seemed crowded with just 20 people in there.

Far more people turned up than I expected. Rinoa will tell you I was a bit worried the night beforehand that no one would show up, or the pub would pull out or something would go wrong, but it all went fairly smoothly. I also was not expecting the first people to show up to later, but quite a few people showed up before the event officially started which was fantastic :)

I think the pub was also a bit surprised by the amount of people which showed up, so apologies for the lack of crisps - I'm just glad the beer did not run out :)

I am not sure if I will do another one, or if I do when it would be - But I have got March 2012 on my mind which is about 5 months from now.

The big question will be does it get held at the same pub, or should somewhere larger be found?
I should have remembered to say thanks for organising the event in my post on the RG forum!

The venue gets good marks from me for convenience of location, even if the room was a little railway carriage like.

If somewhere a little larger was equally convenient and co-operative that would get my vote.

If a larger one was arranged in East Anglia, I'd be happy to bring along a Beeb or two if that would be useful (though I'm sure lots of people here will say the same)

Thanks again for all your efforts

Michael
Had fun at the
Meeting 21st September 2019

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:33 am

Just like to add I really enjoyed my fairly brief stay too at Retro Revolution and to say that as I live in Chelmsford, if you need an extra pair of hands next time let me know ;)

Return to “past events & exhibitions”