Anything coming up in SW UK?

meet fellow forum members at these classic gaming/computing events
guddler

Anything coming up in SW UK?

Post by guddler » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:06 pm

As title. I'd like to head to the event in Cambridge but I totted up the last time I went there to exhibit and talk at an arcade get together and it cost me around £500, was a 5h drive each way and, well, won't be doing that again! I should have known, I lived in Cambridge in my early 20's.

So was just wondering if anything is coming up down this way a bit more (Somerset).

Been out of the loop for years now. Not really getting back into the loop but would be nice to catch up and see what's what in the Acorn hardware world.

Elminster

Re: Anything coming up in SW UK?

Post by Elminster » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:13 pm

There was the Hampshire meet up earlier in the year. Was a sucess and i beleive good chance it will happen again next year.

JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:14 pm

In terms of the 8-bit world, he most south-westerly thing we have done recently was ABUG in Hampshire in June. I am keen to set up a date for a repeat visit in the New Year. I may discuss dates at Cambridge. Keep your eyes on the forum.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?

JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:14 pm

Elminster wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:13 pm
There was the Hampshire meet up earlier in the year. Was a sucess and i beleive good chance it will happen again next year.
Beat me to it!
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:14 pm

JudgeBeeb wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:14 pm
In terms of the 8-bit world, he most south-westerly thing we have done recently was ABUG in Hampshire in June. I am keen to set up a date for a repeat visit in the New Year. I may discuss dates at Cambridge. Keep your eyes on the forum.
Beat me to it!
Beat you by seconds :)

Reminds me I need to book Hotel for Cambridge. Only 90 mins away but easier if doing 2 days.
Last edited by Elminster on Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:23 pm

The Hampshire venue is about a 3h drive from West Somerset.

guddler

Post by guddler » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:37 pm

Hampshire's do-able. Mind you, a lot of places are do-able, I'm just getting a lot less tolerant of long journeys than I used to be.

Let's face it, it's nearly an hour's drive just to civilisation where I am (as in the motorway!)

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:57 pm

guddler wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:37 pm
Hampshire's do-able. Mind you, a lot of places are do-able, I'm just getting a lot less tolerant of long journeys than I used to be.

Let's face it, it's nearly an hour's drive just to civilisation where I am (as in the motorway!)
You have to be careful, usually when people wish there is an event closer to them they end up become the organiser !

I think there are a number of members Bristol, Cornwall, Devon way. Perhaps a 'very' SW event is needed.

guddler

Post by guddler » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:06 pm

Don't think anyone apart from DaveM (Arcadian) knows me on here - that would be a very quiet get together :D

Actually that's not entirely true. I've been to a couple of gatherings and met a few people, but unless everyone has changed their forum names, I don't really recognise any now.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:53 pm

Well hopefully they will just read and post on this thread.

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:23 pm

There's more than half a dozen of us, according to the map of world domination:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll ... 78rSgP_GfQ

RobC

Post by RobC » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:22 pm

It's not for a while but there's the RISC OS SW Show: http://www.riscos-swshow.co.uk/

I usually go and have had a stall with 8-bit kit in the past. I'd be happy to do something similar again if there's enough interest.

It's at a new venue next year so it would be encouraging to see some new faces there.

guddler

Post by guddler » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:36 pm

Now we're talking - Bristol's a bit more like it =D>

There's a few venues I could think of with bars if there was the interest for a day or weekend by the sea, and if people really felt like being masochistic there's that famous holiday camp too (won't catch me there though). But I don't have the energy for organising it at the moment. Still far too busy with "real world" stuff for that, but not like I haven't done it in the past.

helpful

Post by helpful » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:23 pm

guddler wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:36 pm
Now we're talking - Bristol's a bit more like it =D>
There is a Bristol users group which meets every two months. Next meeting is Wed 12th September.
Or there's the Wessex user group in Ilchester, their next meeting is Sat 8th September.

Details of user groups here - http://www.riscository.com/calendar/

The next big show is London on Saturday 27th October, which is of course a bit of a trek for you but at least it's west of London!

Bryan.
RISC OS User Group Of London - http://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - http://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:39 pm

There's a possibility of an RC2014 event in Bristol, on a Tuesday evening. Spencer would need to see some interest though, so it would be worth pinging him if you're up for it:
(RC2014 started life as a Z80 mini-backplane design, but can take a 6502 or 6809 CPU board, or can be seen in a single board format. It can run Fuzix, if appropriately configured, or of course CP/M, or whichever monitor program you can write or port. Or boot to Basic, as originally envisioned.)

Edit: explain and linkify
Last edited by BigEd on Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:42 pm

Note you can’t do much with the 6809 board currently as a monitor is still on Ben’s todo list. I have 2 spare 6809 pcb’s if people go that route. I think the Bristol one is probably off, next one is Cambridge in Oct. although Spencer is at comp museum in Cambridge next weekend. But that isn’t very south west :D