Proposal: San Francisco Bay Area user group

meet fellow forum members at these classic gaming/computing events
8bitkick

Proposal: San Francisco Bay Area user group

Post by 8bitkick » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:41 am

Hi - this merits its own thread I think :)
myelin wrote:
atcurtis wrote: is there an Acorn fan/user group in the San Francisco bay area? I'm in the south bay area.
No idea if there's an official group, although I imagine if we keep mentioning SF on Stardot, more of us Bay Area folks will come out of the woodwork!
I'm in San Jose. It would be great to get a Acorn & BBC micro User Group going in the USA (assuming there isn't already)! On the STH map there are 4 of us pinned in SF Bay Area (also in Portland, Seattle on the West coast)... hopefully more will emerge... :D

Per other thread - I'm a fan of the Vintage Computer Festival West and the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California, which hosts it.

As a start, I was thinking about applying to exhibit Acorn machines at VCF West next year. The more the merrier if anyone wants to come along / bring machines and represent 8)

Anyone interested?

atcurtis

Re: Proposal: San Francisco Bay Area user group

Post by atcurtis » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:41 am

I think exhibiting Acorn computers would be a great idea since so few Americans even know of their existence.

Would be cool if someone had an early A310 machine to show off an example of 1987 technology. I tried to snag a A3000 from ebay but it moved out of my price range.

myelin

Post by myelin » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:12 pm

Sounds like an excellent idea! I'd love to bring some of my expansion hardware (mainly for Electrons) along to VCF West next year.
SW/EE from New Zealand, now in Mountain View, CA, making BBC/Electron hardware projects for fun.
Most popular: fast serial port, FX2+PiTubeDirect Tube/Cartridge adapter, USB cart interface.

8bitkick

Post by 8bitkick » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:17 pm

atcurtis wrote:I think exhibiting Acorn computers would be a great idea since so few Americans even know of their existence.
myelin wrote:Sounds like an excellent idea! I'd love to bring some of my expansion hardware (mainly for Electrons) along to VCF West next year.
Great! I’ve sent a mail to VCF, I will let you know when they respond. Electron stuff for sure! I have an A3000 I could bring but would love a 'proper' Archimedes to show. Of course the Beeb should be represented too.

Meanwhile lets see if there are any other Acorn users in the area...
Multiwizard wrote:Greetings, Wim... :-)
Greetings from California!

8bitkick

Post by 8bitkick » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:18 pm

Good news! SF Bay Acorn users are invited to exhibit at VCF West next year!

This year was excellent. Tons of vintage machines (Atari, Apple, Commodore, IMSAI, etc), talks from the likes of Chuck Peddle (designer of the 6502, Commodore PET...). But not too many Acorn / British computers represented in the exhibit, it being in the US. http://vcfed.org/wp/festivals/vintage-c ... ival-west/

Next year we can represent with some Acorn machines, and hopefully inspire others to join our ranks :D

It's not until 4-5 Aug 2018... so we have plenty of time to get organized...

Any other Acorn Users in the SF Bay / West Coast let us know if you want to be involved. Once there is enough of us we can do some events of our own...

Lion

Post by Lion » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:48 am

Hey there. I'm in Woodside CA and have a BBC Master 128 (working great), a B+ (untested but probably fine), an Acorn A3020 (should be fine), and a multi-standard Sony PVM for displaying things on.

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:53 am

So, you’re just missing the important one?

What do you mean “what’s that” Shame on you :lol:

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

8bitkick

Post by 8bitkick » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:40 pm

daveejhitchins wrote:So, you’re just missing the important one?

What do you mean “what’s that” Shame on you :lol:

Hey, any Acorns that have made it 6000 miles to these Pacific shores are important...

PS I already have a BBC B and an Atom :P

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:45 pm

8bitkick wrote:Hey, any Acorns that have made it 6000 miles to these Pacific shores are important...
Of course . . . (is there a tongue-in-cheek Emoji?) But the Electron is so cute and travels well as it's half the size of a Beeb! I could arrange one for you :D

Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

8bitkick

Post by 8bitkick » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:57 pm

daveejhitchins wrote:
8bitkick wrote:Hey, any Acorns that have made it 6000 miles to these Pacific shores are important...
Of course . . . (is there a tongue-in-cheek Emoji?) But the Electron is so cute and travels well as it's half the size of a Beeb! I could arrange one for you :D

Ahhh... Agreed the Elk is cute, portable, and conveniently (for those taking the machine to the USA) has a standard input for an external PSU...

Thanks for the offer, I think Myelin is the local Acorn Electron department... (or at least, he offered to show some Elk peripherals so I assume the Elk comes too)

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:50 am

Let me know, if you have an interest in the future.

8bitkick

Post by 8bitkick » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:26 am

Lion wrote:Hey there. I'm in Woodside CA and have a BBC Master 128 (working great), a B+ (untested but probably fine), an Acorn A3020 (should be fine), and a multi-standard Sony PVM for displaying things on.
Good news! I just heard back. Looks like we are accepted to exhibit at VCF West at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California this year :)

Thanks for the offer Lion - BBC Master + PVM sounds like a good combo. Do you have any peripherals / games / demos to run on it?

Myelin I think will be the Acorn Electron dept.

I was thinking of bringing along my Atom, BBC Model B and A3000... I only have one CRT though #-o ...

Any other Acorn users in the area let me know if you're interested to be involved :D

Lion

Post by Lion » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:44 pm

8bitkick wrote:Thanks for the offer Lion - BBC Master + PVM sounds like a good combo. Do you have any peripherals / games / demos to run on it?
Yes, lots. It has a DataCenter in it loaded with every piece of beeb software I know of. Plenty of music, at least one rolling demo, probably *all* games. I also have 5.25 and 3.5" floppy drives. It's also fitted with a PiTubeDirect co-pro.

I also have an Econet Clock sitting in a drawer. I've never even tried using it, but my A3020 has a fileserver installed on it, in case anyone wants to try to get an actual Econet going? Might take a bit of hacking.

myelin

Post by myelin » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:36 am

I'm (very slowly) putting together an Econet, although I don't have any original equipment so I'm doing it with my own designs (http://myelin.nz/acorn/ecohub etc). If I can get that working, we can swap in your original clock and give it a try!
SW/EE from New Zealand, now in Mountain View, CA, making BBC/Electron hardware projects for fun.
Most popular: fast serial port, FX2+PiTubeDirect Tube/Cartridge adapter, USB cart interface.

Lion

Post by Lion » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:44 am

Both my BBC Master and my A3020 are fitted with Econet and I think I might even have a cable or two.

I always wished someone would make an Econet-Ethernet bridge, for teleporting Econet signals over the internet via a central server. Then we could all share one single global Econet.

...might be impossible, of course.

8bitkick

Post by 8bitkick » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:31 am

Lion wrote:Both my BBC Master and my A3020 are fitted with Econet and I think I might even have a cable or two.

I always wished someone would make an Econet-Ethernet bridge, for teleporting Econet signals over the internet via a central server. Then we could all share one single global Econet.

...might be impossible, of course.
OK so maybe the question is how much space do you and myelin need... a table each, 3 total, might make sense?

I asked about table size-
Most of the tables are standard 2.5' x 8' or 10' tables. We sometimes employ narrower classroom tables if we need to.

Tables, table cloths and power drops (not local power, but a plug for you to plug in your power strips/extension cords) will be provided.
Could you each fill one up? (I think I can... but only one crt to run a machine)

myelin

Post by myelin » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:46 pm

I could probably fill up a whole table if I brought more than one machine... would need to dig up another screen from somewhere though. I feel like half a table (4' width) would probably be nicer though.

What are we aiming for here? One of each machine? Lots so people can play with them?

Lion

Post by Lion » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:27 pm

It has nothing to do with Acorn, but I also have a fully functional Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh. They're pretty rare.

8bitkick

Post by 8bitkick » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:46 pm

myelin wrote:I could probably fill up a whole table if I brought more than one machine... would need to dig up another screen from somewhere though. I feel like half a table (4' width) would probably be nicer though.

What are we aiming for here? One of each machine? Lots so people can play with them?
1x usable machine from us each plus peripherals / historical notes sounds like a good start.

But we can just measure up what we want to exhibit, request the space and see what they say ! (I will do this with my machines when I can and send photo.

EDIT - I am thinking my Atom + BBC B with only one connected to CRT at any time.... plus the Acorn A3000 + flat screen monitor)

Here are examples from last year
IMG_3555.JPG
IMG_3554.JPG
IMG_3559.JPG

myelin

Post by myelin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:47 pm

I'm excited for this, after seeing your photos :)

Let's go for the three tables then. I can bring a bunch of machines as long as they don't all have to be online at once, and I'm sure there might be overflow between us.

8bitkick

Post by 8bitkick » Wed May 02, 2018 7:09 pm

myelin wrote:I'm excited for this, after seeing your photos :)

Let's go for the three tables then. I can bring a bunch of machines as long as they don't all have to be online at once, and I'm sure there might be overflow between us.
Great! I will update the write up and stuff this weekend now I'm back.

UPDATED: Our new and official looking logo 8)
AUG2.jpeg
Last edited by 8bitkick on Fri May 11, 2018 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

8bitkick

Post by 8bitkick » Wed May 02, 2018 7:25 pm

Lion wrote:It has nothing to do with Acorn, but I also have a fully functional Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh. They're pretty rare.
That would be great to show. How much area do you think you need for your stuff (a whole table)? Let me know what you'll show and I'll put it in the write up.

There is an Acorn connection with the Mac somewhere... http://www.businessinsider.com/how-arm- ... th-2010-10

Lion

Post by Lion » Thu May 03, 2018 12:48 am

Depends how big the tables are, but if you're interested in the TAM, I can bring that, my BBC Master, and my Acorn A3020 as well. That would probably fill a table. If we're short on space I can drop the A3020, it's the least interesting.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Thu May 03, 2018 9:05 am

Been suggesing to the wife the next ime we go o US to go to SF (she has been before and already done the sites, hey let her out of Alcatraz) I will have to make sure any furture holidays coincide when some of you are displaying at a retro show, completely by coincidence of course.

8bitkick

Post by 8bitkick » Thu May 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Elminster wrote:Been suggesing to the wife the next ime we go o US to go to SF (she has been before and already done the sites, hey let her out of Alcatraz) I will have to make sure any furture holidays coincide when some of you are displaying at a retro show, completely by coincidence of course.
:D

Alas ours is only an event 4-5 August but it's inside the permanent Computer History Museum (near the Google campus) which is well worth visiting...