I'm pleased to announce another ABUG meet-up at the Cambridge Centre for Computing History over the weekend of 28th - 30th June 2019
This is the forth year they're hosting us, which is great news
Please note that there will be slightly fewer tables available this year than in previous years. So if you wish to attend, please post in this thread clearly stating the days you would like to attend on, if you want a full table to yourself, half a table or not bringing kit (aka a "No-Kitter" ).
Space wise, there will be:
- 10 full tables (1 table per person)
- 10 half-tables (2 people per table, total of 5 tables)
- up to four people with no kit.
- If you are attending the event for entire weekend (two or more days), the fee will be £16 - to be paid as an £8 museum entrance fee on two consecutive days.
- If you are attending for one day, then fee will be £8.
- Please inform the staff that you are attending as an ABUG attendee.
- Just as any other paying visitor, you're free to wander around the museum and play with all the retro computers they have!
Friday 28th June - 4.00pm til late (no earlier than 4.00pm please, as we don't get the room until then)
Saturday 29th June - 9.00am til late
Sunday 30th June - 9.00am-4.00pm
Dave Hitchins will be helping out with getting the room ready on the Friday afternoon and on the Sunday afternoon to restore the room back after we leave. I would be very grateful if some other ABUG attendees could assist him in anyway they can. Please contact him if you can offer help. We would like the goodwill we have with the museum to continue.
Centre for Computing History
Acorn & BBC Micro User Group (ABug) meet-ups are open to enthusiasts of the BBC Micro, Acorn Electron, Atom and Archimedes/RISC OS machines.
Attendees will typically stay for two if not all three days. The meets are always very informal and can involve:
- members bringing their own hardware to set up and show off
- time spent working on hardware and programming/games projects
- exchange of ideas/knowledge
- upgrade and repair of poorly Acorn machines
- collaborative work on community projects, such as software preservation, preparation/planning for displays at other events etc.
- sale of items by members (not guaranteed, but there are often opportunities to buy bits)
- general socialising, food/drink and the odd hi-score competition!
These are the hotels that people stayed at in previous years:
Oakley Lodge hotel
627-631 Newmarket Rd, Cambridge CB5 8PA
It's just over a mile away from the museum.
Travelodge Cambridge Newmarket Road Hotel
180-190 Newmarket Road
If you have any other recommendations, please let me know so that I can post the details here.
Food and drink
Friday night - previously, we've ordered take out pizzas and brought our own beer.
Saturday night - previously, we've booked a table for us all at the same local pub as in previous years, as everyone seemed happy with it. It isn't a large menu but good and reasonably priced with vegetarian options. It's about 15 mins walk from the venue. As neither myself or Jason are able to attend this event, it will require someone else to arrange this if you want to do the same again. If there are any difficulties with this, Jason is happy to help with the booking.
For lunch: the museum has a snack bar for tea, coffee, soft drinks, chocolate, crisps etc . There are a couple of fast food places nearby as well as an M&S (and I *think* an ASDA) for sandwiches etc.
Parking is available at the museum. Note that hotels may charge additional fees for parking. In previous years, some folks have left their cars overnight in the museum car park (including me) at their own risk.
Total of TEN full tables available:
Classroom1. daveejhitchins (Dave). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
2. jgharston (Jonathan). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
3. flaxcottage (John). Saturday only.
4. sbadger (Stewart). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
5. z0m8ied0g (Steve). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
6. mattyj (Matt). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
7. JudgeBeeb (Robert). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
Total of TEN half-tables (two people per table) available:
11. SarahWalker (Sarah). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
12. flibble (Peter). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
13. markdryan (Mark). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
14. Elminster (Duncan). Arriving Saturday morning , leaving Sunday afternoon.
15. MattH (Matt). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
16. Paul (Paul). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
17. andrewvideo (Andrew). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
18. anightin (Andy). Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Saturday.
People coming along that don't require a table
Total of FOUR places for people with NO KIT available:
21A. Pernod (Nigel) Saturday only.
21B. Prime (Phill). Sunday only.
22. helpful (Bryan) Arriving Saturday morning, leaving Sunday afternoon.
23. oPless Arriving Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon.
24. Diminished (Ali) Saturday only.