CET Microsmile "The next 17"

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
gazj82

CET Microsmile "The next 17"

Post by gazj82 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:36 pm

I have spent many years looking for "The next 17" by Microsmile that I used to play at school, I mainly want it for my kids to have a go. Here is what I know about the software.

There were 3 sets of software in the series.

The first 30
The next 17
11 more

The first 30 are quite easy to find, they are split over three disks and can be found on the STH website and by searching these forums,

The next 17, this is the one I am really after, someone has uploaded one of the disks, but the other one (maybe two) seem to be missing - The one disk can be found in this thread in a zip file named "Education disks 1" viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5165&hilit=CET

11 more, I have never seen this at all.

I seem to remember the whole of "the first 30" being one one disk at school, would this have been possible. Did bigger capacity disks come along later that would have allowed all 3 disks to be merged?

I am looking in particular for a game called "Multi" (if I remember correctly). I believe it was on "The next 17". It was a kind of space invaders type maths game. Aliens used to come down from the top of the screen with a multiplication question inside it. You would move your ship along the bottom of the screen, type in your answer. When pressing return your attack would destroy the alien if the answer was right. I haven't seen this game since the age of 9 so I hope I have got the details correct.

Many thanks in advance
Gary

flaxcottage

Re: CET Microsmile "The next 17"

Post by flaxcottage » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:04 pm

Just looked through my archive.

I have the Next 17 disk as an SSD. Unfortunately only programs 0-8 are on the first side, the other 9-17 should be on side 2 and of course this is missing. :(

If you catalogue the image you will see there is a file NEXT17O (capital O not zero). This is the menu for side 2 but it does not appear to contain a file called MULTI.

I still have literally 100s of programs to archive - it may be among those. I am also designing a database that will let me search for those elusive titles so that questions like yours can be answered. If I find it I shall post immediately.

All 30 of the MicroSmile programs could easily fit onto one double-sided 80 track disc BITD.
- John

gazj82

Post by gazj82 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:17 pm

Thank you flaxcottage,

I loaded the file next17o, but this menu does display the same programs as the menu called next17, so hopefully disk 2 will contain different programs.

I guess we had them on double sided disks, it would have been in the late 80's when I played them.

Multi could even be on the 11 more disk yet! But I was pretty confident it was in the next 17. I think we even had these disks on our risc os machines later on. I don't think it was an official conversion (seem to remember a micro emulator for risc os). In fact I never saw the original disks even for the BBC micro, the ones in our classroom were copies.

Thanks for your help, fingers crossed to finding it one day. The museum for computing history is just a few miles from me. I should pop in and ask to look through their disks at some point.

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:27 pm

In the large number of discs Arcadian left with me I think that I saw a title "The next 17" maybe disc 2 is on the other side of that. I'll look it out. :D

In fact I found it but Multi is not on that disc. Sorry. :?
Smile Next17 part 2.zip
(149.41 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
- John

gazj82

Post by gazj82 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:49 am

Hi Flax cottage,

Seems like that image is the same as the side 1 posted sometime ago! Which seems a bit strange. I wonder if you already extracted side 2 last time and thought it was side one. Would be interesting to know what is on the other side of the current Next17 disk you have.

Thank you for all your help so far. :)

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:12 pm

Sorry if I messed up, Gary. :oops:

It may be that the disc was mis-labelled, though. Attached are SSD files for the two sides. The menus are very different and the programs are different too. Between the two menus are 17 files as well. :D

Only works on a model B so far. It does not like a master. :(
Next17-1.jpg
Next17-2.jpg
Attachments
Next17.zip
(188.35 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
- John

gazj82

Post by gazj82 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:30 pm

Thankyou Flaxcottage it really is highly appreciated. I do recongise every single program on the disks from my youth :) I can only assume multi was on the Smile disk set called "11 more". That's if it was by Smile at all :S. Dam my primary school memories #-o

Thank you very much for all the work you have put into my personal vendetta to track this game down, especially considering I am probably the only person around who even remembers this game or cares about it :)

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:00 pm

No problem, Gary. If I come across it I shall post.

Problem is, my memory keeps losing bits. :? :(
- John

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:53 pm

flaxcottage wrote:Problem is, my memory keeps losing bits. :? :(
Pack them altogether in a byte? :lol:

Mark

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:14 pm

An update to this thread ...

The attachment below now includes the documentation for The Next 17.
Attachments
The Next 17.zip
(1.23 MiB) Downloaded 18 times
- John

gazj82

Post by gazj82 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:10 pm

Hey this is great. Good to see the Microsmile that I remember so fondly coming together and getting archived.