DFS to ADFS floppy file transfer

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
aferenbach

DFS to ADFS floppy file transfer

Post by aferenbach » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:57 pm

Hi all

I followed the fine guide from AlchemistResearch and made myself a 3.5 inch drive for my dear old BBC Master. I got an old EPROM programmer complete with programming software on 5.25 floppy and a bunch of floppies full of rom images. The writer works fine but it is a pain doing all the floppy switching to choose the rom images - and my 5.25 drive is not getting any newer. I used my GoMMC on my BBC model B (yes, i have a collection!) to transfer all the 5.25 discs onto the MMC and I can now either pop them onto 3.5 inch DFS format floppies or extract the disc images using my PC and a MMC reader.

Then a thought occurred - it would be really great to put all the contents of these several discs onto one 640K ADFS floppy and no more disc changes for me! What would be the best way to do this? Is there a program for the BBC that will kindly copy files from a DFS floppy to an ADFS floppy. Then either i could use the BeebEm to combine the disc images extracted from my GoMMC into an ADFS disc and use Omniflop.

Or is it a case of running DFS explorer and ADFS Explorer at the same time and dragging the files over that way?

Has anyone done anything like this? or can anyone offer any insight?

alchresearch

Post by alchresearch » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:52 am

Isn't there a utility on the Master welcome disk to do this?

EDIT:

Hmm, there is a utility called COPYFILES in the ADFS Utilities but it only mentions BASIC programs.
Andy Davis.

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:15 pm

Advanced Disc Toolkit 1.78 rom, works a treat! or on a PC with A/DFS explorer :wink:
ImageImageImage

alchresearch

Post by alchresearch » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:39 pm

and I guess you could load that into the Master's sideways RAM as well!
Andy Davis.