ProWord by T Hall

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
Kecske Bak

ProWord by T Hall

Post by Kecske Bak » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:22 pm

Did anyone else ever use ProWord, an excellent word processor by T Hall, the author of "Twin Kingdom Valley"?

Hall marketed the word processor himself with adverts in the back of mags like "The Micro User", and it never got the attention it deserved.

ProWord was a WYSIWYG word processor, and it was far better than View. You could highlight text and make it bold, undelined or italic and it would appear that way on screen.

It had an excellent manual written by T Hall and you could do all manner of things with it that were very difficult to achieve in View.

There was a ROM image available for the BBC Master, and a 16K ROM for the BBC B.

alchresearch

Post by alchresearch » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:02 pm

Andy Davis.

Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:47 am

Many thanks for the links!

ProWord is actually damn site better than WordWise. I did my A-Level Biology fieldtrip coursework using it, and the only questions I got were to do with "How did you do that on a BBC?".

However these days, I'll think I'll stick to OpenOffice! I can't wait for Fru T Bun to cread a debian package of BeebEm so I can run it under ubuntu GNU/Linux!

CMcDougall

m

Post by CMcDougall » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:16 am

Tries to give it a go last night, how do you get it to run? Done *wor. , *prow. etc, cant get it to go! *mdump'ed it, no commands stick out!

So, your write, WWise+ v2 all the way, least it doesnt need a degree in Word Processing to get it to go!

Cheers CM :wink:

PS wheres that numpty pen24! hes a ---- ---- (2nd bit head!)

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:42 am

Your right, can't see any commands to start it. I got it going this way.

Ensure You've got the rom configured to run on a master 128.

Run BeebEm and select Master 128 as your hardware.

At the command prompt type

*CO. LANG X

Where X is the rom position of proword, you can find that out with a *ROMS.

Do a reset from the File menu of BeebEm and it should launch into Proword.

All that's happened is that you've set rom X as the default language for the computer. All ROMS have an entry point, and if you knew the right command for ProWord it would usually start the rom from this entry point, The OS sees you've selected rom X as the start rom and runs the code at this entry point.

Actually it doesn't do that, that's a simplistic view. If memory serves me right there are two bytes in the ROM header always at a fixed position (which I forget now) that are the offset address to the start address where you want the BEEB to start executing code from. There are quite a few different offset address's at the start of a ROM for various things. The *HELP entry point being another which ProWord does not support.

From now on though you're on your own. When I tried it was producing some very odd characters for normal keyboard letters. Maybe someone has an instruction manual.

alchresearch

Post by alchresearch » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:50 am

I tried this the other day and found the same problem - couldn't find how to start it, so I chose it as the default ROM and then had the odd characters.

There was a great interview with the creator of Wordwise here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/28/techscape_moir/
Andy Davis.

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:59 am

Were you using Master 128 as well ?

alchresearch

Post by alchresearch » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:03 am

Is it *WP ?

I tried the ROM on a Beeb rather than a Master and there is no corruption.
Andy Davis.

alchresearch

Post by alchresearch » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:06 am

F9 (PC) brings up the menu.
Andy Davis.

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:12 am

Nice one :D Can confirm that *WP is the command, yes found F9 for the menu whilst pressing all the function keys :)

I'm guessing it was written before the master came out and that it is not quite compatible.

I wonder how you do everything else on it, i.e. the wysiwyg that Kecske refers to.

alchresearch

Post by alchresearch » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:18 am

I've been playing with the database, which seems quite nice.

In fact, I'm starting to like it more and more - particularly the word processor font.
Andy Davis.

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:22 am

Excellent, we can expect a reverse engineered manual very shortly then :D

CMcDougall

thanks

Post by CMcDougall » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:29 am

Thanks lads, you have been busy while i was doing/printing out lots of Tax Returns!

I'am thinking of taking the government to court, as its a false advert 'Tax doesnt have to be taxing' well, it fecking is, a big pain in the beep! Dont thing i will bother, they will proberly have me shot! and cover it up like all the other stuff we dont know about!

Good one Sorvad, never thought of that Master thing. I have my emulators all set up as my beloved beeb B.

Ta, happy *wp!

CM :wink:

PS maybe 'Kecske' will point us in the right direction for a manual!

Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:46 pm

I have a manual in the UK, as well as both a BBC Master ROM image and a "HiWord" version that uses the second processor. The manual is quite comprehensive and contains a lot of program listings.

When I am in the UK next (in January) I'll OCR the manual (I usually live in Hungary).

Last time I was in England I found my British Gas "CEDRIC" suite of tapes for calculating energy usage in the home and an educational game called "Nuts" from Thorn EMI (the people that David Braben tried to sell Elite to - their software house was called Creative Sparks - bloody dull sparks for passing on Elite!) - I've got loads of rubbish in my parent's loft!

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:10 am

Scanned in Manual, that would be good, many thanks. Why does it have program listings in the manual ? Do you mean source code for ProWord ? Seems odd. Or just program listing for something else that are used as examples for using ProWord ?

alchresearch

Post by alchresearch » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:38 pm

Kecske Bak wrote:Last time I was in England I found my British Gas "CEDRIC" suite of tapes for calculating energy usage in the home
I remember that well! It was part of the ENERGY STUDY UK project that all middle schools took part in. I was in charge of entering data from a particular class into CEDRIC!
Andy Davis.

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:45 pm

Kecske Bak wrote:When I am in the UK next (in January) I'll OCR the manual (I usually live in Hungary).
I've got loads of rubbish in my parent's loft!
Why come back here, is fecking freezing cold :oops: , weathers crap, and your pension is worth feck all! :evil:

If you do come back, i will buy you your dinner, if you are still Hungry :roll: (sorry crap joke alert!) + some new 8) for going back!

Parents loft are great arent they! I bet theres hidden treasure everywhere!

Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:55 pm

CMcDougall wrote:
Kecske Bak wrote:When I am in the UK next (in January) I'll OCR the manual (I usually live in Hungary).
I've got loads of rubbish in my parent's loft!
Why come back here, is fecking freezing cold :oops: , weathers crap, and your pension is worth feck all! :evil:
Sadly cold weather and bad pensions are not exclusive to the UK. In fact, most nurses here would get a pay rise if they got the UK State Pension instead of their salary...

CMcDougall

ye

Post by CMcDougall » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:13 am

Yeah but, no but ((little britain was ok last night!)TV prog) i bet you your dinner that the price of living is very cheap. Fags proberly <£1 a pack, not £5, tax rates are next to zero, and a pint is 10p not £2.5+, petrol 35p litre, not 90p.

Pity about the weather/nurses. They should get loads.

CM 8)

PS we are not called rip off Britain for nothing you know!

Kecske Bak

Post by Kecske Bak » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:36 pm

Er, I don't know which Hungary you think I live in, but I wish I lived there.. :D

Gas - costs the same as in the UK For most married couples living in a family house one salary goes entirely on the heating in the winter so the other salary has to go on everything else. By the way, the gas prices rise by a lot on Jan 1 each year. So the gas company gives you tiny "estimated" bills for Oct, Nov, Dec, reads your meter on January 1st and then charges you the new increased price for three months of last year's gas. The electricity company does the same.

Petrol - costs the same as in the UK. Equivalent of it costing more than three and a half times as much here.

VAT - 25% - for workers on low salaries it is crippling.

Income tax - same as in Britain, but on much lower incomes.

Inflation - double figures, unlike wage rises. Most Hungarians are getting poorer in real terms.

Fags are cheap, reflected in Hungary's highest cancer rate in Europe, booze is cheap as well and alcoholics are two a penny here. You don't see many elderly men in Hungary outside of Budapest.

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:43 pm

Great! another crap place to live!

Put a jumper on and coat, that what i do, so can save money to turn on the Beeb B!.

Yeah your right, was crap at Geography at school. Always got really pissed at The Royal Highland Show (tractor racing etc), and teachers always gave me a row, but the best bit was, the teacher who told me off big time, got off the bus and threw up! ((he was guttered!) less than me!)