Can't remember name of an educational series

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
NinjaRabbit

Can't remember name of an educational series

Post by NinjaRabbit » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:28 pm

I hope I have the right section for this post - I wasn't quite sure if educational games would fall under the description of games, or educational software. Please move it if I've put it in the wrong place.

Anyway, I've been trying and failing to remember the names of a series of educational games for the BBC Model B, that I remember playing in school in the late 1980s. Here's what I remember;

The main character was a red, cartoony blobbish creature, who was named either "Pip" or "Chip". I lean towards it being Pip, for some reason.

I recall there being at least two, or possibly even three, games in this series. Unfortunately, I don't remember who made them.

Relating to the above, for a long time, I remembered the name of one of the games as being "Pip's Adventure", and another possibly being called "Pip's Challenge", but I've looked through a complete alphabetical list of BBC Micro releases that have been dumped/preserved, and was not able to find anything by that name at all.

The one that I remember as being called "Pip's Challenge", I recall having a mathematical theme.

The one I recall as "Pip's Adventure" featured the character arriving on an island (I remember a map of this being shown towards the beginning of the game). I do remember that it was possible to get caught by some sort of bad guy or group of natives on the island, which would result in you being put in a dungeon, but I can't remember if this was Game Over or if you could solve some puzzle in order to get out (though I have the vaguest memory of the latter being the case). I don't know what the educational purpose of this game was, though, but I sort of remember it being similar to Granny's Garden in execution, so I assume it was meant for building keyboarding and puzzle-solving skills.

That's all I have, I'm afraid, and some of this could be a bit mixed-up due to it being decades since I first encountered these games.

I would be very grateful if anybody could help me to figure out what these games were called. I'd love to know if they've been preserved and if any video footage exists of them anywhere.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out! :)
"PC" is short for "Personal Computer", not "Microsoft Windows and Intel x86".

leenew

Re: Can't remember name of an educational series

Post by leenew » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:32 pm

Hmmm. Unsure, but the red blob could be Podd?

NinjaRabbit

Post by NinjaRabbit » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:50 pm

Thanks for the post. :)

I don't think that the red blob was Podd, though I do vaguely remember Podd, as well. The character I remember was in that sort of vein, though, but was smaller on the screen.

leenew

Post by leenew » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:05 pm

NinjaRabbit

Post by NinjaRabbit » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:43 pm

Thanks very much!

I think I do remember Play With Pip vaguely, but the games I'm recalling were on separate disks, and had title screens much like the Jack & Jill titles in the same post do.

I may well have ended up mashing together multiple games here, it seems. Maybe the character wasn't called Pip after all?

I do hope that the ones I'm thinking of weren't just completely lost when so many schools threw out their old BBC Micros and software...

Is there a comprehensive listing of all of the known educational releases for the system, anywhere, please?

NinjaRabbit

Post by NinjaRabbit » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:20 am

I'm really sorry for the double-post, but I've still been unable to find anything even remotely like these games, anywhere. I'm starting to think that they're undumped, at this point.

Is there a lot of BBC Model B stuff that's still unpreserved? :cry:

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:52 am

NinjaRabbit wrote:Is there a lot of BBC Model B stuff that's still unpreserved? :cry:
I would imagine lots of educational stuff is missing as they weren't generally commercial releases. Many were probably developed by the LEA (local education authority) for specific use in schools in the area.
Unless the teachers were enthusiasts and dumped the software then most will have been lost over the years.
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:59 pm

Pernod wrote:
NinjaRabbit wrote:Is there a lot of BBC Model B stuff that's still unpreserved? :cry:
I would imagine lots of educational stuff is missing as they weren't generally commercial releases. Many were probably developed by the LEA (local education authority) for specific use in schools in the area.
Unless the teachers were enthusiasts and dumped the software then most will have been lost over the years.
Unfortunately this is very true. I collect educational software and from the literally thousands of titles available BITD very little remains. LEAs did not archive their software and publishers just let Acorn titles disappear. :( :(

I have managed to collect some pieces from retiring teachers. Approaching schools direct produces only heartache; many schools have had new builds and anything remotely old was thrown out.

I have gathered way over 200 educational titles, most are archived. As soon as I obtain a title, the first thing I do is convert it to .SSD format to keep the code safe.

Documentation is another issue. Most discs I 'find' are teacher's copies and do not come with documentation. Occasionally educational titles do appear for sale but at ridiculous prices e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Huge-collecti ... 58a3c367dd :shock:

Even if the price of the title is reasonable, say £3-£5, there is P&P to add and multiply these titles by the hundreds out there and preservation becomes a hugely expensive concern. :!:

The National Computing Museums at Cambridge and Bletchley Park do have many 'missing' titles and the TNMOC in particular are not averse to digital preservation by interested parties. For me, though, they are not on the doorstep and a visit has to be carefully planned as it is quite a journey. :(

Lastly there needs to be an easily accessible on-line source for these titles. That is something I am looking into. For the price of a couple of pints of beer a month I can host up to 50Gb. Maybe I need a new hobby ... :wink:

- John
- John

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:10 pm

Thanks to leenew, I've got quite a few of the Sherston titles, which are protected with bad sectors at the end of the disk, so can't be freely copied without first being "cracked", or FSD'd! :wink:
I've also got some Anita Straker titles and various LEA titles. Really must catalogue them ASAP :?

NinjaRabbit

Post by NinjaRabbit » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:22 pm

Thanks for the very informative posts, guys. I'm unsure as to whether the "Pip" titles that I remember were a local thing or not, though nothing in their content suggested that they were. It's something to look into, though! :D

@billcarr2005 - Any idea if you've got what I'm recalling in your collection, there? :?:

paulc

Post by paulc » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:43 pm

I remember this game! it was awesome!!!!!!!!!

A couple of night's ago while trying to remember the first computer game i ever played Pip's Adventure popped in to my head, a quick google search for "BBC computer game Pip's adventure" later and here I am!

I was also a child in the late 80's early 90's and remember the 30 minutes allotted to pupils to use the computer in pairs! I also remember that my primary school tried a number of fund raising activities through out the year to buy more computers at the end of the year we had raised enough to buy 3! which were proundly displayed during assembly. (I don't recall if these were BBC or some sort of new flashy windows systems)

From photos on the net i'm sure the system we played the Pip game on was a BBC, I recall the distict keyboard.

Adding to your description, NinjaRabbit, of Pip's adventure I also recall the landing on a island then maybe a cave or passage way and encountering a native of some sort and one of the first challenges being some sort of word guessing game like traditional hangman but you may of been given a few of the letters to start, every time you got a letter wrong the native would move forward too many incorrect guesses and he would touch and capture Pip. (This may have been a mathematics problem also maybe a guessing game? not sure) We got captured the first time but learned from our mistakes on a second play-through and narrowly avoided capture (I think! - I recall relief). I vaguely recall an underground environment that may of been the dungeon you mention and you could move Pip around using the arrow keys though this may of been a later puzzle. There were definitely more characters through the adventure that stopped and challenged you along the way too. I'm sure there was some sort of serpent or dragon like character near the end of the adventure that also challenged you with another puzzle.

I hope that due to time I haven’t mixed up many different games in to one. But I'm encouraged that we shared similar memories before I read your original post

I think the character looked very similar to the Play with Pip graphic, as I remember thinking at first that the antenna were his arms and debating this with a classmate. But do remember him being distinctly red not the purple seen in Play with Pip

Your note that the main character may have been called Chip does actually make me question my own memory! Maybe he was called Chip (but then what are the chances of us both being identically incorrect?) Do too many of our memories support Pip for it to be a coincidence? Maybe it was a new character? Pip does have a brother Pop in 'Play with Pip' maybe you were playing as Pip or Chip and trying to find Pip or Chip? Maybe my imagination is taking over it's done this before with fond memories like adding in particular shots or scenes to movies i've watched which don't exist but are as clear a day in my mind????

I may have played "Play with Pip" also at school as (from playing the emulation from leenew) recalled the ship graphic and the treasure hunt map. but this may be incorrect and what i am actually remembering is Pip's Adventure and changing my memories to suit.

As part of the exercise at school we had to print our progress at each stage and, I think, colour Pip in as we only printed black and white!) and stuck them on to large sheets of sugar paper to create an book fastened with split pins that we all called "Pip's Adventure". This was my favourite project and I allways kept it on top of all the other piles of school work I done and brought home from primary school :D

I think i remember the detail of the game so clearly as we (me and a class mate) really did only have 30 minutes to play through the game once each. I allowed my friend to go first (or he just sat in front of the keyboard first - not sure) and remembering it taking ~20 minutes for his play-through and me getting worried that I would not finish the game in time when my turn came. Of course I didn't finish my play-through it in time and we were kicked out of the room to make way for the next pair, my adventure print outs unfinished! I remember trying to hand draw the last one or two parts copying from what I’d seen earlier and from friends which I think was the dragon/serpent bit or a challenge from another native type character. Thus solidified my fear of failure and not finishing what I start! ha ha (maybe seriously!)

That is my entire memory dump ha ha!

...Now years on I’m a 3D artist and novice Unity 3D developer. I'm making a casual game and considering an educational side plot to it, you could say partly inspired by Pip's Adventure!

If anyone else is reading this (at any point in the future) has any more info on Pip it would be great to learn more, are you the person that programmed or knew someone that worked on the game? come on help us restore some fond memories! :D :D :D :D

Thanks for the trip down memory lane guys!

lavendersweeprecords

Pip’s Adventure game info required

Post by lavendersweeprecords » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:55 pm

Hi, I also remember playing this game in school. Probably in the early to mid nineties. I also found this post from googling ‘Pip’s Adventure’.

I’m not sure if it’s the same game (maybe another in the series) or if I’m mixing it with another game but I’m sure I remember him being in space or even on the moon at one point?

I’m based in Swansea so it would be interesting to hear where @paulc and @NinjaRabbit were based to see the game was local to Wales or the South Wales area.

Any info on this would be very much appreciated

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:45 pm

Pip.png

lavendersweeprecords

Post by lavendersweeprecords » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:04 am

Ha that’s him I think! Is that from the Play With Pip game?

Any idea who made this game?

billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:24 am

lavendersweeprecords wrote:Ha that’s him I think! Is that from the Play With Pip game?

Any idea who made this game?
It's from "Pip's Island Adventure"

Published by NORICC / Northern Micromedia

Code: Select all

Authors:
      NEPCUG

Graphics:
   Malcolm Fagan

Programming:
   Clive Hodgson

aqarius

Post by aqarius » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:08 am

Such a bizarre coincidence that I've just googled this subject, read the thread from the top (noting it was several years old) and wondered whether it was ok to resurrect it with my memories, then I see it's become active in the last day! :)

We definitely played all 3 parts of Pips Island Adventure at school (I thought it was just Pip's Island), and that was in Scotland. If I remember correctly, the first part involved choosing a mode of transport to go to the island and crossing the sea where you would encounter math-based challenges that you had to succeed in to continue. One was an octopus that we particularly dreaded! The second part had more of an arcade style to it, with a section where you had to progress past spiders going up and down, and then a maze - I forget what was after that, I think most in the class didn't get further than the maze. The third part was more of a straightforward decision based adventure, with problems like how to get over a pit - there might have been an element where you needed to choose the right equipment to bring, without knowing which of several obstacles you'd encounter. I don't think many got through this part either, but I believe there was a prize of some sort at the end.

billcarr2005

Pip's Island Adventure / Pip Goes to the Moon

Post by billcarr2005 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:55 pm

NinjaRabbit wrote: @billcarr2005 - Any idea if you've got what I'm recalling in your collection, there? :?:
Got it, I believe from Arcadian, some time in 2015!
Pip's Island Adventure.zip
Pip's Island Adventure
(139.53 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
lavendersweeprecords wrote: I’m not sure if it’s the same game (maybe another in the series) or if I’m mixing it with another game but I’m sure I remember him being in space or even on the moon at one point?
I believe that would be the following...
Pip Goes to the Moon.zip
Pip Goes to the Moon
(42.9 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Both titles require that "Write Protect" is toggled off / Write is enabled... Pip Goes to the Moon switches between two catalogues, Pip's Island Adventure requires write access too :)

lavendersweeprecords

Post by lavendersweeprecords » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:06 pm

@aqarius Cheers for the memories and that really is a coincidence that you should also decide to search for this now too :D

@billcarr2005 thanks for posting these, really looking forward to checking them out. Do you have any links for a good emulator by any chance?

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:32 pm

lavendersweeprecords wrote:Do you have any links for a good emulator by any chance?
http://www.mkw.me.uk/beebem/

:idea: