Monitor test program on ROM?

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
CanonMan

Monitor test program on ROM?

Post by CanonMan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:03 am

Hi everyone

I know there are programs available for producing test patterns for monitors, such as those on the Watford Electronics diagnostic disk, but has anyone ever produced a similar program on ROM?

Failing that, is there a utility that would allow a BASIC program to be burned onto ROM with a bootloader that would move the program to the correct place and execute it?

Cheers,

Dave

paulv

Re: Monitor test program on ROM?

Post by paulv » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:14 pm

CanonMan wrote:I know there are programs available for producing test patterns for monitors, such as those on the Watford Electronics diagnostic disk, but has anyone ever produced a similar program on ROM?
Sorry, I have no idea about that....
CanonMan wrote:Failing that, is there a utility that would allow a BASIC program to be burned onto ROM with a bootloader that would move the program to the correct place and execute it?
I know for a fact that the Micron EPROM programmer has the facility to do just that but whether or not there's a utility that can create a ROM image suitable for saving as a file rather than blowing to an EPROM I don't know.

Paul

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:39 pm

Isn’t there a type of ROM file that acts like a read only cassette and the OS loads the stored file just like it was on tape, that is to say, it serial loads (copies) it from ROM to RAM?
Or am I mixing this up with another computer that also used ROM carts?

Mark

paulv

Post by paulv » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:49 pm

1024MAK wrote:Isn’t there a type of ROM file that acts like a read only cassette and the OS loads the stored file just like it was on tape, that is to say, it serial loads (copies) it from ROM to RAM?
Or am I mixing this up with another computer that also used ROM carts?

Mark
Yes, that's what the Micron EPROM programmer software does AFAICT.

Paul

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:20 pm

I'm sure that there's a routine in one of the ADT ROMs that makes a bootable ROM image for cartridge use. May have been an ABR utility . . . ? Sorry no time to check for you this evening as we're getting ready for holidays (in this weather :roll: :? )

Hope that helps, anyway.

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:23 pm

paulv wrote:but whether or not there's a utility that can create a ROM image suitable for saving as a file rather than blowing to an EPROM I don't know
i had two BITD, will have to search for them, sure it was by BeeBug mag :?
acts like a read only cassette and the OS loads the stored file just like it was on tape, that is to say, it serial loads (copies) it from ROM to RAM
yes, the RFS, Rom Filing System, thats what Electron carts like Hopper, Snapper & Starship command are on :wink:
You can make your own aswell, will also have to find the proggy :roll: . I blew 4 eproms BITD for my elk plus1 on Master carts with DDDenis, ChEgg, Super Pool and munchyman 8)
just typed : *ROM (get into RFS) then CH."pool" etc
ImageImageImage

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:48 pm

CMcDougall wrote:yes, the RFS, Rom Filing System, thats what Electron carts like Hopper, Snapper & Starship command are on :wink:
You can make your own aswell, will also have to find the proggy :roll:
RomFiler
CMcDougall wrote:just typed : *ROM (get into RFS) then CH."pool" etc
And Space-Shift-Break does *RUN !BOOT from ROMFS so with a CFS/RFS-only Beeb you can set the keyboard link to autoboot and it will boot from RFS. Alternatively, create an RFS ROM with a bit of code at the start that selects RFS and puts */!BOOT (or even *EXEC !BOOT) into the keyboard buffer.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

Haqa

Post by Haqa » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:24 pm

I think I saw somewhere a RamFS which used SWRam and wrote RomFS compatible images (Though maybe I was wrong about that last part) anyway, it allowed you to create FS images which could then be saved on disc or kept in battery backed SWRam.

Problem is I'm sure it was a mag (Probably Acorn User) I read about it in, and I no longer have my collection. I was never an Electron user but I've found this link from EUG where Sprow talks about something similar...

http://www.acornelectron.co.uk/eug/50/a-ramf.html

It seems that might achieve what you are talking about, perhaps?

H.
If at first you don't succeed, blame the cat...

CanonMan

Post by CanonMan » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:26 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. Plenty for me to have a go at, once I get a spare moment :)

Cheers,

Dave