Haunted Abbey protection

Post by Fraser » Wed May 04, 2011 5:25 pm

Theres something in this mag about the protection scheme in Haunted Abbey:
ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sincl ... 600001.jpg

Rich Talbot-Watkins

Re: Haunted Abbey protection

Post by Rich Talbot-Watkins » Thu May 05, 2011 2:56 pm

Hmmm, interesting...
http://www.zxsoftware.co.uk/8bitgamer/?cat=36 wrote:LATEST in the line of software protection devices is Imprint 2 from A & F Software.

Imprint 2 has been developed from a system copyrighted by Jim Lamont in 1978. It was a later anti-piracy device of his that was seized by the MoD earlier this year.

The device is incorporated into the program in two stages; the first during the actual writing and the second at the duplication stage. Anyone who makes a copy of a protected program will find that it crashes while loading.

“We are 99 per cent certain that people won’t be able to get round this device,” said Mike Fitzgerald of A & F. “A lot of people are going to try very hard to do so, but they’ll find it extremely difficult.”

Jim Lamont has successfully applied for a patent for Imprint 2.

A & F is not the only company to be developing his idea, but it is the first to produce a completed version.

“A number of software houses are interested in our version,” Mike Fitzgerald continued. “As yet, we have not decided whether to supply houses with the complete system, or whether to manufacture a ‘master’ package which they can use to package Which they can use to protect programs, without actually discovering the method.

“There are only four people - the developers themselves - who do know how it works.”

A & F’s first program with the incorporated imprint will be Haunted Abbey for the BBC, available in two to three weeks time. It will cost £6.90, as opposed to A & F’s usual price of £7.90, in anticipation of increased sales. Chuckie Egg for the Commodore 64 should follow shortly afterward, and all A & F’s future programs will contain Imprint.
I wonder how it worked. I noticed that the tape version in the Acorn Preservation Project archive doesn't load (it forces a reset after the first two files have loaded). I presume it was something to do with how the audio was actually recorded on the tape...

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Fri May 06, 2011 9:22 am

I've not looked at it for a while but I remember that some odd stuff is thrown in between data bytes and the actual data is unaffected. B-Em only implemented reading the more important UEF chunks and skipped all the odd stuff. The game loaded on it.

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Fri May 06, 2011 10:56 pm

A'n'F, as far as I can tell, went rather over the top with anti-copy protection - ultimately in June 1984 they chatted with The Micro User about the £20,000 development of a piece of software which was intended to enable an anti-copying device to become 95% effective and scupper the school children and computer clubs they believed to be illegally sharing copies of their software, as well as the professional pirates. Unfortunately, the costs continued to mount - perhaps because the hardware device that had originally prompted the discussions A'n'F had begun with the manufacturer, was snapped up by the Ministry of Defence and an embargo placed on it, forcing them to evaluate an earlier system from the same manufacturer.

By November 1984, they announced to TMU their departure from the BBC Micro market ... :/

Sam.

mga1103

Post by mga1103 » Sat May 07, 2011 2:39 am

Folks, this bit of history is fascinating, great to read! But, what's even more impressive is ye've got the ability to describe that happened almost 27+ years ago in great detail!

@Samwise, just one question, how do you do it? You've got to be relying on hand-written notes or an incredible memory?!

Unfortunately, I can't rely on either (the former is gone and the latter is well gone! :roll: ).

-Martin.

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Sun May 08, 2011 4:08 pm

The clue's in the post ... that info is straight from the pages of The Micro User, from the months I listed.

As to how I remembered it, you're right that I didn't go looking for it. I have a specific interest in A&F, and researched the company for a previous project.

Sam.

vanekp

Post by vanekp » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:01 am

what do the ftp links point to as it asks for a user name / password to access the ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/ links ?

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:04 am

Magazine scans
ImageImageImage

vanekp

Post by vanekp » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:44 pm

yes gathered that only the worldofspectrum.org site has changed due to abuse and you cant access them anymore off those link's and cant find them on the site itself anymore.
Was interested to read the article about the copy protection.
Peter.

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:00 pm

PopularComputingWeekly84042600001.jpg
PopularComputingWeekly84042600005.jpg
The other pages from the above links are attached.
Attachments
PopularComputingWeekly.zip
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 15 times
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

vanekp

Post by vanekp » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:10 pm

Peter.