UberCassette Multiplatform tape archiving software

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
ukretrogamer

UberCassette Multiplatform tape archiving software

Post by ukretrogamer » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:51 pm

This just turned up in my Twitter feed: UberCassette

From the author's web-site:
UberCassette is my solution for the archival and restoration of programs on cassette tapes for 8-bit machines from the 80's - I want it to archive just about any format's tapes.
There are many programs out there for doing this, some of them work, some don't so well. Many of them work as long as you have an old enough machine to run them on. No other program does many different types, though.

Seems interesting.

regregex

Re: UberCassette Multiplatform tape archiving software

Post by regregex » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:39 am

Ta for the heads-up -- Nice agile-looking project. Off to a good start, it takes a lot less code than I thought!

However:
const unsigned char cDummyByte[] = { 0,0,0, 1,1, 0,0,1,0,0,1,0,0,1,0,0,1,-1 };
You sure?

I've already put Ubercassette in the Wikipedia article on UEF.

Best of luck, Ian!

--Greg
Last edited by regregex on Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: ta

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:09 am

I don't see much that can't be done already. Accurate CSW and UEF files can already be made with csw.exe by Ramsoft or indirectly with CSW Viewer and MakeUEF makes UEF files. A new version of CSW Viewer will be ready soon.

ukretrogamer

Post by ukretrogamer » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:20 pm

This isn't my project. It just showed up from someone else's tweet in my Twitter feed.

I'm quite sure all this has been done before but to have a multi-micro tape conversion tool which runs on multiple modern platforms I think, is quite unique.

I've lost count of the number of times I've found myself excluded because I choose to run something other than Windows!

Spirantho

Post by Spirantho » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:15 am

Hi everybody,

This is my project. :)

Thanks for the mentions, it's nice that people have seen it - wish I had a bit more feedback (only had one C64 user say anything so far) but it's good that it's noticed.

The cDummyByte is not what it seems, i.e. it's not a bunch of zeroes and ones as the BBC understands it. Each wavelength corresponds to a zero or one internally to my program, so your wave fits to my dummy byte - see how it's short,short,short,long,long,short,short,long etc.

The beauty of the project is that it re-uses the same code for all platforms... the wave detection is shared because all cassettes use similar forms, viz. the wavelengths, in some form or another. From the wavelengths the pitch can be derived so Atari cassettes can work too (what I'm currently looking at).

I tried using MakeUEF before but the only way I could get it to work was by ramping the cassette volume up so high it became a square wave, and some tapes were very reluctant to work.. hence I thought it time to make my own solution.

Another thing I'm trying to do is basic error detection and correction... sometimes wavelengths go a bit wrong so the code will retry using different thresholds between zero and one, which helps. Also you can change the 'zero point' as some of my tapes (like Repton 2) have small sine waves way above ground level, and use a different algorithm to work out the wavelengths. Things like that can throw CSW creators quite easily.

If anybody can help by testing the code I'd be grateful though! I've managed to successfully archive all my Electron tapes but the more data the better!

Thanks again for the interest!

--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (but it's a nEt not a nIt!)
Ian Gledhill
Mutant Caterpillar Games Ltd.
Repairing 8-and 16-bits computers since 2009!
http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/

Fraser

Post by Fraser » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:10 pm

I have a new version of CSW Viewer at world of spectrum that would probably interest you.

I usually keep the volume quite low now or the hiss inbetween files would be amplified and might start creating readable waves. MakeUEF is mainly designed for accuracy and not to read the worst of recordings.