Acornsoft Master/2P C compiler

bbc/electron apps, languages, utils, educational progs, demos + more
Elminster

Re: Acornsoft Master/2P C compiler

Post by Elminster » Tue May 12, 2015 4:01 pm

I haven't split the double pages up (yet). So not sure if that will make it go mad. But no pictures apart from the from cover.

danielj

Post by danielj » Tue May 12, 2015 5:05 pm

Hmm... Dubious result - needs a bit of work to "white" the pages... Don't have time at the mo :?

d.

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Tue May 12, 2015 5:07 pm

Doesnt surprise me. Which is my I left it on my 'todo' list.

IBM portable PC

Post by IBM portable PC » Sun May 17, 2015 6:15 am

Elminster wrote:Scan of the Acornsoft version of C. All 250 odd pages of it.......

300MB Version

100MB Low Qual Version

Enjoy
Many, many thanks for doing this. That's one more manual that won't be lost in time.........
WISH LIST: Acornsoft C Compiler PDF manual, Anything 68008/68000 related, LVL Upgrade manual/ROMS, Watford Floppy Drive Selector, Commodore (CBM) PET ROM/S for CST Procyon IEEE-488 Interface", Beeb on a Eurocard systems

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sun May 17, 2015 10:35 am

Kept me busy for a few evenings. Shame Acorn didn't develop this further Ion the BBC to create standalone code like I assume they did do more C on the later ARM machines.

IBM portable PC

Post by IBM portable PC » Mon May 18, 2015 11:48 am

Okay, I've just found this little tool for the Mac (there is a Windows version though).

It has a smart cropping feature and it can also split double scans into single pages.

I'll share a result in a few days, customized for the iPad Air at 2048 x 1536 pixels.

http://pd4ml.com/djvu.htm

**** 2 days later and I'm not going to bother with pd4ml, the smart crop feature is not smart enough for this manual.
WISH LIST: Acornsoft C Compiler PDF manual, Anything 68008/68000 related, LVL Upgrade manual/ROMS, Watford Floppy Drive Selector, Commodore (CBM) PET ROM/S for CST Procyon IEEE-488 Interface", Beeb on a Eurocard systems

stevendt

Post by stevendt » Sat May 23, 2015 5:45 pm

Hi folks,

I have given the high quality version a quick run through Adobe Acrobat X, you can find the result here :

http://www.primrosebank.net/computers/b ... m#software

This is a rough 'n' ready first pass, it is searchable, but does not have hyperlinks, clickable TOC, etc. I will try an improve it when I get a bit more time

regards
Dave

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Sat May 23, 2015 7:38 pm

Good show. Getting there. Just needs to be split and cropped. I usually do that but with 250 pages I skipped that bit.

stevendt

Post by stevendt » Sat May 23, 2015 8:22 pm

I think that it will probably be much better when the pages are split. Acrobat tries to square up the page when it does the OCR, two pages with different slopes are a bit too much for it.

The number of pages put me off splitting and cropping too :-)

regards
Dave

pstnotpd

Post by pstnotpd » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:29 am

Elminster wrote:Scan of the Acornsoft version of C. All 250 odd pages of it.
COOL =D>

I've been tied up in other projects lately but this might prompt me to fire up the master again (and fix the corrupted CF)

Great work guys!

flibble

Post by flibble » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:53 pm

I have managed to run this one on my master, and even compile up hellow world and mod it a little.

I was rather hoping I could use it to compile standalone programs (or programs that used a SW ram loaded runtime). But it seems that even the programs you make have to be run inside the 'C' IDE. Does anyone have any experience with the Beebug C system, is it similar?

IBM portable PC

Post by IBM portable PC » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:35 am

Has anyone had a chance to split and crop the pages etc?

Or, can anyone suggest a Mac tool that will do this?

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:19 pm

I had a quick play. (The scan isn't ideal but I know it's tedious to scan large documents. No harm intended!) A rough and ready cut can separate the pages, and the archive.org can assemble a set of one-page images into an OCRd flipbook with pdf and text views. But archive.org's OCR in this case isn't excellent. Here are four pages I uploaded as a test:
https://archive.org/stream/AcornsoftCMa ... t_djvu.txt
and here's the flipbook:
https://archive.org/stream/AcornsoftCMa ... 0/mode/1up
The OCR might be good enough for searching and some copy/paste.

What I did:
- manually rotated the images - the first ten scans are one way around, subsequent ones are the other way around, both cases sideways. (Using Preview)
- automatically cut into pairs down the halfway point. This turns out to work, I think, even though the images are not consistently aligned. (Using netpbm, installed as a "port")
- assembled a zip of the page images, as *_images.zip
- uploaded to archive.org

There is a command line tool called "unpaper" (available as a "port") which might be able to do some bulk processing, including splitted paired pages, but I'm not sure how to cope with the alignment variations.

IBM portable PC

Post by IBM portable PC » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:11 am

Sounds good... although I continue to wait for a copy to appear on eBay, which I will de-spine, scan and recycle.

After removing the spiral binding, I will also have the holes guillotined off and so the 600DPI scan should be very nice indeed :D

Of course I will instantly share my work here and will probably leave the OCR'ing to others.

It's just a matter of time...

IBM portable PC

Post by IBM portable PC » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:15 pm

I just tried running the scan we have through Briss, the PDF cropping tool, in order to remove binding and borders etc. However, the page alignment varies too much for Briss to work as well as it could.

Back to waiting for an original manual on eBay, my guillotine and scanner are very patient...

Return to “8-bit acorn software: other”