Writing ssd disk images on a BBC Master

bbc/electron apps, languages, utils, educational progs, demos + more
CJE-4D

Writing ssd disk images on a BBC Master

Post by CJE-4D »

Is there any software that will run on a BBC Master to write 100K SSD etc. disk images?

I've tried searching the Forum and used Google but not found anything.

I can easy download disk images on to a 3.5" ADFS disk and have a 3.5"/5.25" dual drive on a Master!
RobC

Re: Writing ssd disk images on a BBC Master

Post by RobC »

MartinB

Post by MartinB »

If you mean specifically DFS ssd/dsd images (as opposed to AFDS images which you also mentioned) and if you are equipped to make a cable, UPURS is designed for this specific purpose....

https://www.retro-kit.co.uk/UPURS/
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Since you have the ssd file on ADFS already the attached program could help

The simplest way is to have a 80T disk in drive 0 with the ssd file on it (Use ADT2 to move the SSD from ADFS to disc using the *XFER command). The ssd file must be named "SSD". A blank, formatted 40T disk goes into drive 1 then run the program "WRT".

It is simple and slow because it is in BASIC but it works both on BeebEm and on a real Master.
Attachments
Write SSD to disk.ssd
(200 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

I think there might be a bit of a Catch-22 here...in order to use the program which will write an SSD image file to a floppy disc, you have to have a program which will write the SSD image file with the program on it to a floppy disc in order to use it to write the SSD image file to a floppy disc...
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

It would require a bit more hardware, but if you had a Gotek as drive 0/2 and a physical floppy 5.25" as drive 1/3, could you not just mount the SSD image in Gotek and do a backup from one drive to the other?

You could probably do something similar with SD card based file system, although you'd need to switch between file systems (eg MMFS to DFS) to do the backup. I think there is already software to do that, but I'm not certain.
MartinB

Post by MartinB »

Ian wrote:I think there might be a bit of a Catch-22 here...in order to use the program which will write an SSD image file to a floppy disc, you have to have a program which will write the SSD image file with the program on it to a floppy disc in order to use it to write the SSD image file to a floppy disc...
Many floppy users solve this common conundrum with the rom (viz eprom) version of UPURS
CJE-4D

Post by CJE-4D »

Thanks very much for all the info. I'll look into the options when I get back from my holiday.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: other”