Microbrush art package

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
RobC

Microbrush art package

Post by RobC » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:25 pm

Browsing thorugh some old Acorn Users yesterday, I came across an advert for the "Microbrush" art package for the Beeb. The artwork for the advert was done with the package and looks amazing - almost like Artworks for the Beeb!

I remember it coming out but think I was put off at the time (1987/88) by the price and by an unfavourable review in one of the mags (probably also Acorn User).

Did anyone ever use it? If so, can you remember what it was like? I'd really like to get hold of a copy if anyone has one for sale!

timmy

Re: Microbrush art package

Post by timmy » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:05 pm

Hmm i was always an AMX sort myself, but this doesn't ring any bells. Although i see it was reviewed in the Jan 88 AU, but i don't have my old back issues any more.

Have you got a scan of the advert at all?

RobC

Post by RobC » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:05 am

I also had the AMX package and think that the AU review said something like "this isn't for people just looking for an upgrade of SuperArt" - it (and the price!) put me off at the time because that's exactly what I wanted...

Should've said that I was browsing through the magazines to decide which ones to keep as I was having a bit of a clear out. I'll have a look to see if there's a copy of the advert in any of the magazines I've kept.

The advert was full page and showed a spaceship drawn with the package. It was done in very high resolution with dithered colours.

I've also found some info written by the author of Microbrush:

http://www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/ab/index.htm

I've e-mailed him and will let you know if I get a reply.

Cheers,

Rob

timmy

Post by timmy » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:40 pm

What an interesting bio! I wonder why diatbetes forced him out of the music biz tho... Anyways, nice to put a name to those fantastic Artworks pics.

But Microbrush "consisted of 4, 16Kb eproms, with a separate eprom that would render objects in perspective." wow. Microbrush isn't messing about! Are they on a seperate board?
Interesting that he was still using Microbrush as late as 1992.

RobC

Post by RobC » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:03 pm

Sadly, I've discovered that Alan Burns, the authour of Microbrush, passed away last year:

http://site.xara.com/news/november08/

However, as I've now got the AU DVD, I've been able to discover some more about Microbrush - it was the main news story in the May 1987 issue:
microbrush.jpg
microbrush.jpg (357.25 KiB) Viewed 822 times
It also appears that Alan wrote another art package for the Beeb called "AB2". I'd never heard of this but it is mentioned in a 1985 issue of AU as having been around for 3 years but "still taking some beating". I suspect that this is what Alan described as "the only true interactive graphics package for the machine at that time" in http://www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/ab/index.htm

Has anyone ever seen Microbrush or AB2? It would be really good to discover if his packages were as good as they seem.

Cheers,

Rob

Dave Footitt

Post by Dave Footitt » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:19 am

It did look good that, I would love to see it...