Software in "other" programming languages

bbc/electron apps, languages, utils, educational progs, demos + more
roland

Software in "other" programming languages

Post by roland » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:02 pm

In the "Today I received" topic, but also in other topics, you see posts about Pascal, Forth, Lisp and maybe some other programming languages for the Beeb, Elk and sometimes even for the Atom.

Are there any actual programmes written in other languages than basic or assembly (commercially) published, albeit as a compiled executable?

I'm just wondering if these languages were ever used besides a bit of playing and a "Hello world!" programme.... :-k
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:

Prime

Re: Software in "other" programming languages

Post by Prime » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:10 pm

I'm guessing (from personal experience when I was at college in the late 80s**), that Pascal at least may have been used in some schools / colleges to teach programming, so while it possibly didn't yeild any commercial software, it would have been used for more than 'hello world' :)

**We used Turbo Pascal v3.01 on PCs, but a couple of years earlier we may well have used Acorn Pascal on the Beebs. I do know the college I was at used COBOL on a Z80 equipped Beeb, as one of the lecturers mentioned it in passing.

Cheers.

Phill.

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:34 pm

Atom, issue 5
Elk
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
USA Model B
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA

ajcduggan

Post by ajcduggan » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:02 am

I did quite a bit of work on a hobby project version of the paper/role-playing game "Source of the Nile", written in BCPL...

It never got all the way to a usable game, though.
a.

geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:53 am

This is not Pascal on a BBC, but the PC versions of Repton 1 and 2 were written using Delphi.
Gerald Holdsworth
Repton Resource Page
www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk

roland

Post by roland » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:49 pm

For PC's you can expect that programs are written in different languages. Still, nice to know that Repton was written in Delphi. I also tried that language for a month (free evaluation version). I wrote a "memory" game but I lost it somewhere. It was a translation of my "memory" game that I wrote for the Atom-in-PC board. It had a nice feature, you could increase the number of "same cards". Normally you look for two cards but this game had the option to search for two, three, four, six, eight, twelve en twenty four cards.
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:

SteveBagley

Post by SteveBagley » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:57 pm

Wasn’t the BBC Domesday software written in BCPL?

Steve

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:49 pm

I have a PIP programmable vehicle. The communication software between the vehicle and the BBC micro was written in FORTH I am assured. I contacted the developer and was told they used a version of compiled FORTH. Unfortunately the source code has long since gone.
- John

Coeus

Post by Coeus » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:49 am

We can also add at least some of the Music 87 software, i.e. as supplied by Peartree with their rebadged Music 500/5000, which was written in BCPL.

Then, of course, AMPLE as supplied by Hybrid with the Music 500 / Music 5000 is a Forth-based language with only the core implemented in 6502 assembler - some of the supplied AMPLE words are implemted in AMPLE from the core word.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: other”