Educational Games for 3-5year olds, any Recommendations?

bbc/electron apps, languages, utils, educational progs, demos + more
mark71

Educational Games for 3-5year olds, any Recommendations?

Post by mark71 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:59 am

Hi All

Anyone got some good recommendations for 8bit learning games numbers/letters and other suitable for 3-5year olds?, start getting my two children ready to use computers for there future as IT hackers :D . Eldest likes Hopper on the Elk.

Mark

flaxcottage

Re: Educational Games for 3-5year olds, any Recommendations?

Post by flaxcottage » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:09 am

Hah! With one question you have highlighted a gap in the searching algorithms for my archive! :(

I'll see if I can fix that today. In the meantime you could try some of these;

Micro Primer
Mr T`s Alphabet Games
Mr T`s Measuring Games
Mr T`s Money Box
Mr T Tells the Time
Mr T`s Shape Games
First Steps with the Mr Men
Shapes
Amazing Ollie
Letters
Numbers and Pictures
Number Puzzler
Fun School - Under 5s
Primary Maths Course
Movaword
Pip Goes to the Moon
Ollie Octopus' Sketchpad
Amazing Ollie & Ollie Octopus' Sketchpad
Kindercomp
First School Programs Set 1 & Set 2
Infant Maths Snap
Miscellaneous 1
One To Nine

All are downloadable from the archive and can be found by a search on the package title.
- John

mark71

Post by mark71 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:54 am

flaxcottage wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:09 am
Hah! With one question you have highlighted a gap in the searching algorithms for my archive! :(

I'll see if I can fix that today. In the meantime you could try some of these;

Micro Primer
Mr T`s Alphabet Games
Mr T`s Measuring Games
Mr T`s Money Box
Mr T Tells the Time
Mr T`s Shape Games
First Steps with the Mr Men
Shapes
Amazing Ollie
Letters
Numbers and Pictures
Number Puzzler
Fun School - Under 5s
Primary Maths Course
Movaword
Pip Goes to the Moon
Ollie Octopus' Sketchpad
Amazing Ollie & Ollie Octopus' Sketchpad
Kindercomp
First School Programs Set 1 & Set 2
Infant Maths Snap
Miscellaneous 1
One To Nine

All are downloadable from the archive and can be found by a search on the package title.
Hi John

Was why i posted as couldn't see an easy way to search in that manner on your site :D

Mark.

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:05 pm

The ability to search for titles in an age range has been added. This is a beta version. Please let me know if there are any issues (there may be 'features' though :lol: )
- John

steve3000

Post by steve3000 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:28 pm

Great addition to the search, but not entirely working I think? I tried entering 0 to 6, 1 to 5, 2 to 5, 3 to 5, 4 to 5 and 5 to 5. Only 3 to 5 returns any results... Luckily that's what my 4-year old needs, for now :)

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:31 pm

That is a 'feature'. :wink:

The search algorithm looks for a match on the first age and then checks for any programs that are from the first age to less than or equal to the last age.

A search for an age that is less than the start age will not produce any results. A search for a start age that is not in the database also will not produce results. So far the lowest age in the archive is 3 years old therefore a search for 0 - 6 will find nothing. There are no titles with ages 4 - 5, 3 - 6, 5 - 6 or 5 - 5. The only search where start and end ages are the same is for Adult titles, of which there are a few.

I did try a search based on greater than or equal to the first age but the number of results returned was not helpful as very many hits were included.

Maybe what is wanted is to search for ages that are greater than or equal to the start age and less than or equal to the end age and are less than or equal to the end age. I'll look into it.
- John

mark71

Post by mark71 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:54 pm

flaxcottage wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:31 pm
That is a 'feature'. :wink:

The search algorithm looks for a match on the first age and then checks for any programs that are from the first age to less than or equal to the last age.

A search for an age that is less than the start age will not produce any results. A search for a start age that is not in the database also will not produce results. So far the lowest age in the archive is 3 years old therefore a search for 0 - 6 will find nothing. There are no titles with ages 4 - 5, 3 - 6, 5 - 6 or 5 - 5. The only search where start and end ages are the same is for Adult titles, of which there are a few.

I did try a search based on greater than or equal to the first age but the number of results returned was not helpful as very many hits were included.

Maybe what is wanted is to search for ages that are greater than or equal to the start age and less than or equal to the end age and are less than or equal to the end age. I'll look into it.
Hi John

Tried out the new feature :D , found the Mr T games and downloaded a few :) , the fun thing i found is the download file is called Download.zip, any chance in changing it so it has the title in the filename?.

Plan on getting my two monsters to use the old 8 bit acorns as they are quite robust compared to letting my son of 2 loose with a expensive laptop as if it can be broke, they will find a way. My old ipad got dropped and the glass cracked as one of them wanted to pay with it and pulled the cord whilst on charge and it fell onto the floor.

Mark

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:55 am

mark71 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:54 pm

Tried out the new feature :D , found the Mr T games and downloaded a few :) , the fun thing i found is the download file is called Download.zip, any chance in changing it so it has the title in the filename?.
Yes, that is quite easy. Right click the download link and save linked content as and type in the name you want. Simples. :twisted: :lol:
- John

Return to “8-bit acorn software: other”