*FOUND* PULL DOWN RAM DRIVER V1.0 by R.S.ANDERSON

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
SimonSideburns

*FOUND* PULL DOWN RAM DRIVER V1.0 by R.S.ANDERSON

Post by SimonSideburns » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:40 pm

Sorry for the capitals in the subject line, that's the identification string in a ROM image I've found on one of my floppy images.

I've searched online but have found nothing at all about it, so I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it, or could provide any assistance on what the ROM is.

There are no commands listed in *HELP to allow further information to be displayed.

I've included the file so you can insert it into your configuration in BeebEm.
Attachments
ramdrvr.rom
ROM image ready to import into BeebEm
(16 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Last edited by SimonSideburns on Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!

SimonSideburns

Re: PULL DOWN RAM DRIVER V1.0 by R.S.ANDERSON

Post by SimonSideburns » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:00 pm

I've looked at the ROM using the ADT *MEX command (memory examine) and here's a snippet of the commands the ROM accepts.

Code: Select all

8AF0 PCAT -.PLOAD ].PSAVE ..PCLEA       
8B0C R Y.PFREE ..PFORMAT ..PDELET       
8B28 E f.PRENAME ..PBLOAD ~.PBSAV       
8B44 E I.PCOMPACT ....bad format.       
8B60 no room.file not found.illeg       
8B7C al filename.missing filename       
8B98  parameter.illegal address.m       
8BB4 issing address parameter.fil       
8BD0 e already exists.RFORM (BASI       
8BEC C) bytes free...............       
I seem to recall (although I still cannot find anything about it online so far) that there was a memory board that could be built, maybe in one of the Bodybuilding articles in The Micro User and back in the day I may have bought some Veroboard and components ready to build one, but I never got around to it. It may well have connected to the beeb through one of the ports rather than being inside the main case.

I think I was going to combine it with one or two other bodybuilding devices onto one board to save space, but it was so long ago I really am not sure which ones. If only I could find those magazines to give me some clues. I had a subscription for a year or two back in the early 1990s (around the time of the Chameleon colour board article) but I really have no clue where those magazines went.

Now I've just got to go through some TMU magazines online to see if my hunch is correct.

Does that ring any bells to anyone?

SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:04 pm

The floppy that came with Volume 8 issue 6 of TMU includes software to test a RAM board and firmware for a RAM board.

I guess that may well be the issue I'm looking for.

I will see if there's source code for that ROM.

SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:15 pm

Found it.

It's by Rob Anderson and is a 32K (or 64K with additional chips) Veroboard based add-on that connects to the 1MHz bus, comprising of 32K static ram and supporting chips, doubling up the ram for the 64K version.

Check out page 74 onward in the July 1990 edition of The Micro User for the circuit layout, and page 99 onward the following month for the ROM and test software.

I never did get around to making this (I believe I still have some of the parts that have never been used).

Good times, and I've thoroughly enjoyed looking back through those two magazines, albeit in PDF format now.

I wonder how well this device would work with other devices plugged into the 1MHz bus (such as the DataCentre).