The Entertainer and Software

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
BobsBoard

The Entertainer and Software

Post by BobsBoard » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:29 pm

Hi All, it has been some time since my last post.

Back in the day I had a tape version of a music composing software that had some supporting tracks. One of these tracks was "The Entertainer" by Scott Joplin. I can't find the tape in any of the places that I store Beeb stuff and now cannot remember the product name nor the vendor - As I'm sure it is in one of the archives can any one help me with the name of the software so I can continue my search with more than half a chance of finding it !

Extra point for including a link !

It might have been called music, it might have been by computer concepts. There was a disk version, but I had tape. The cover was Yellow with black text, might have been yellow !

Many thanks.

AndyF

Re: The Entertainer and Software

Post by AndyF » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:53 pm

The only one I have to hand is this and its not quite original IIRC in that the program was played about with a bit, but it sounds OK at least:
Enter.ssd
(5.25 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
:)
Andy

* NEW * The Jetset Willy and Manic Miner community :)

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

BobsBoard

Post by BobsBoard » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:58 am

Thanks Andy.

I think I'm looking for the software that created it, with The Entertainer as a sample file. Are you aware of how your version was created. - If only I could find the original tape !! ah....

Roger.

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:04 pm

You're welcome.

Unfortunately not no. I can see how its done in that its read from that block of code, I did have a version I put together that displayed the appropriate "SOUND A,B,C,D" for each erm 'note' as it played too at one point.

But I do not have any of the erm "composer" for it , only what you see attached. I'm not even 100% sure the speed/timings of it is quite right either.
Andy

Adventure games ported across to the BBC (in progress) as soon as I can find some time!

BobsBoard

Post by BobsBoard » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:31 pm

Thats interesting... it might have been called "Composer". I'll search for that now.

Richard Russell

Post by Richard Russell » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:03 pm

AndyF wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:04 pm
I'm not even 100% sure the speed/timings of it is quite right either.
Unrelated to the OP's question, you might want to compare it with entertainer.bbc supplied with all editions of BBC BASIC for SDL 2.0 which I think has the correct timings (speed is of course more subjective, Scott Joplin himself famously wrote "It is never right to play Ragtime fast"). Unfortunately this rendition cannot easily be back-ported to the BBC Micro because it takes advantage of the ability of BB4W and BBCSDL to switch SOUND channel 0 to be a tone rather than a noise channel, so it's 'four voice' rather than 'three voice''.

Dave_E

Post by Dave_E » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:32 am

I'd be surprised if it wasn't included on the one of the famous BBC PD "Music Discs" (available from 8BS or on www.everygamegoing.com).

http://www.everygamegoing.com/egg/landi ... der/bbcpd/

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:04 am

Dave_E wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:32 am
I'd be surprised if it wasn't included on the one of the famous BBC PD "Music Discs" (available from 8BS or on www.everygamegoing.com).

http://www.everygamegoing.com/egg/landi ... der/bbcpd/
It is :)

http://www.everygamegoing.com/egg/landi ... Demos-005/

M128 may be needed (or perhaps B / B+ with ADFS, did not check that regarding an insane PAGE value lol) , its on D6 and D7 as well but I did not see if it was the same version or not on those.

Sounds a bit better and has a neat bit of VU type bar on the leftside too:
enter.png
enter.png (1.44 KiB) Viewed 374 times
EDIT... Disc 6 and Disc 7 are DFS images which might be a bit easier perhaps. D6 contains two versions and D7 contains one version. All these three as well as the one on D5 are different. So at least there's plenty of choices. One on D6 has some neat options actually too.
Last edited by AndyF on Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
Andy

BobsBoard

Post by BobsBoard » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:23 am

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies.

Although I was more looking for the editing software rather than the entertainer, it was just that I recall it as one of the demo tracks.

Now looking over everygame going for the next 4 hours.... :D

Cheers,

Roger
Last edited by BobsBoard on Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:57 am

It is there, well I think it is the one you wanted. It is on one of the linked discs ;)

Here le me assist a bit more > http://www.everygamegoing.com/egg/landi ... Demos-006/

Download that one "disc six" , (download link is right at the end of the page) and fire it up in your emulator / real machine. From the menu choices choose "The Entertainer 1" not "2"

Pic:
choices.png
Last edited by AndyF on Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

BobsBoard

Post by BobsBoard » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:12 pm

Thanks @AndyF

I was looking and playing so did not update that I had found it. I had to change the tempo to 4 to get it to sound on BeebEm as it did on my series 3.

the software looks familiar, but I thought I could enter notes and compose a tune. But until I find my original I think I concur that the software was Music2 (c) 1983 by N.Gamble/Viewfax- the instruction page rings a bell, but I thought it would be easier to code.

Thanks all,

Roger
Last edited by BobsBoard on Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndyF

Post by AndyF » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:32 pm

You're very welcome Roger. :)

I'm afraid that is all I could see "composer-wise" as such. Having said that it is quite possible one of the PD discs *does* have a composer of some description on it, tis a question of looking through them I suppose. In reality it would probably not take too long.

I thought the one with The Entertainer 'already loaded' as such was the one. :mrgreen:
Andy