Code editors for Elk and b+

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
rmbrowngr

Code editors for Elk and b+

Post by rmbrowngr » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:13 am

I found several references to an advance basic editor ROMs for both the Elk and Beeb. Where can I find these and which version for Elk and B+?

For assembly I find references to starmon and exmon. No idea which is good or bad.
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and issue 6 with Master RAM Board, Acorn Plus 1, AP6, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi 2nd Processor, GoSDC MBE with Elk2GoSDC and Cart2GoSDC.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS

0xC0DE

Re: Code editors for Elk and b+

Post by 0xC0DE » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:52 am

Are you interested in external editors or are you only looking for editors on the machine itself?
0xC0DE
:idea: Follow me on Twitter :idea: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro

tricky

Post by tricky » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:09 am

On the b+, ADE for assembler, but I think it works best with dual floppies - I haven't tried with SD
For cross assembly, any editor + beebasm, vscode has code colouring for basic and asm
I'm sure I've seen basic tokenisers on mdfs.net, but beebasm can also do that.
For all my stuff (mainly asm) I use visual studio with an nmake project (not actually any make though) to give me a command line which runs a .bat file that links together image and sound converters, compression and beebasm.

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:08 am

rmbrowngr wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:13 am
I found several references to an advance basic editor ROMs for both the Elk and Beeb. Where can I find these and which version for Elk and B+?
Richard . . .

I'll send you the ROM images for the Electron ABE (Advanced BASIC Editor) and the User Guide. You'll need to put them in adjacent sideways banks.

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:22 am

daveejhitchins wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:08 am
rmbrowngr wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:13 am
Richard . . .

I'll send you the ROM images for the Electron ABE (Advanced BASIC Editor) and the User Guide. You'll need to put them in adjacent sideways banks.

Dave H :D
Thanks Dave. :D
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and issue 6 with Master RAM Board, Acorn Plus 1, AP6, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi 2nd Processor, GoSDC MBE with Elk2GoSDC and Cart2GoSDC.

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:23 am

0xC0DE wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:52 am
Are you interested in external editors or are you only looking for editors on the machine itself?
Actually both now I think about it.

I'm torn between both ways because of usability issues. If I can find editors with better UX experience on real hardware it'll be a big improvement.

Example for Basic, On a Windows PC I've tried coding within Elkulator and ElectrEM. Both have pluses and minuses.
  • ElectrEM has a nice feature where you can copy-pastes code, or insert code from a file on your pc. Nice but if you do it too often the emulator does crash.
  • Keyboard mappings. Here in Greece you find Greek\US English keyboards which isn't quite the same as UK layout. ElectrEM doesn't let you define your own keyboard mapping. Elkulator does :D , but you can't save it. :x
  • BeebEM, has both code copy-paste and keyboard mapping, but is of course a Beeb and not an Electron, so not good for simulating running code on an Electron.
And BTW, I do hate having line numbers in BASIC! How did I ever put up with them in the past! :x Never use goto or gosub!
Last edited by rmbrowngr on Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard B

0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:33 am

I use VSCode+BeebAsm to develop my 6502 code on a Windows machine and test the resulting disk image in an emulator. Alternatively, Notepad++ with BeebAsm works equally well. Both VSCode and Notepad++ can do 6502 code syntax coloring, which is essential to me.
0xC0DE
:idea: Follow me on Twitter :idea: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:46 am

0xC0DE wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:33 am
I use VSCode+BeebAsm to develop my 6502 code on a Windows machine and test the resulting disk image in an emulator. Alternatively, Notepad++ with BeebAsm works equally well. Both VSCode and Notepad++ can do 6502 code syntax coloring, which is essential to me.
That's certainly something I need to check out. BTW, which is the latest version of BeebASM?
Richard B

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:49 am

tricky wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:09 am
On the b+, ADE for assembler, but I think it works best with dual floppies - I haven't tried with SD
For cross assembly, any editor + beebasm, vscode has code colouring for basic and asm
I'm sure I've seen basic tokenisers on mdfs.net, but beebasm can also do that.
For all my stuff (mainly asm) I use visual studio with an nmake project (not actually any make though) to give me a command line which runs a .bat file that links together image and sound converters, compression and beebasm.
That looks like a good setup. I think I've seen in this forum that you also combine in your development environment BeebEM so you can run and debug the code.
Richard B

0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:49 am

0xC0DE

tricky

Post by tricky » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:16 pm

rmbrowngr wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:49 am
tricky wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:09 am
That looks like a good setup. I think I've seen in this forum that you also combine in your development environment BeebEM so you can run and debug the code.
I set the debug command line for a "debug" build to run beebem and "release" to run b-em. For beebem, I have also hacked labels and preserving watches and breakpoints across runs.