Code editors for Elk and b+

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
rmbrowngr

Code editors for Elk and b+

Post by rmbrowngr » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:13 am

I found several references to an advance basic editor ROMs for both the Elk and Beeb. Where can I find these and which version for Elk and B+?

For assembly I find references to starmon and exmon. No idea which is good or bad.
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and issue 6 with Master RAM Board, Acorn Plus 1, AP6, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi 2nd Processor, GoSDC MBE with Elk2GoSDC and Cart2GoSDC.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS

0xC0DE

Re: Code editors for Elk and b+

Post by 0xC0DE » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:52 am

Are you interested in external editors or are you only looking for editors on the machine itself?
0xC0DE
Visit my YouTube channel featuring my demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro

tricky

Post by tricky » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:09 am

On the b+, ADE for assembler, but I think it works best with dual floppies - I haven't tried with SD
For cross assembly, any editor + beebasm, vscode has code colouring for basic and asm
I'm sure I've seen basic tokenisers on mdfs.net, but beebasm can also do that.
For all my stuff (mainly asm) I use visual studio with an nmake project (not actually any make though) to give me a command line which runs a .bat file that links together image and sound converters, compression and beebasm.

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:08 am

rmbrowngr wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:13 am
I found several references to an advance basic editor ROMs for both the Elk and Beeb. Where can I find these and which version for Elk and B+?
Richard . . .

I'll send you the ROM images for the Electron ABE (Advanced BASIC Editor) and the User Guide. You'll need to put them in adjacent sideways banks.

Dave H :D
Parts: UM6502CE, GAL22V10D, GAL16V8D, AS6C62256A, TC514400AZ, WD1772, R6522, TMS27C512, AT28C256
Products: ARA II, ARA III, ABR, ATI, AP6, MGC, AP5 . . .
For a price list, contact me at: Retro Hardware AT dave ej hitchins DOT plus DOT com

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:22 am

daveejhitchins wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:08 am
rmbrowngr wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:13 am
Richard . . .

I'll send you the ROM images for the Electron ABE (Advanced BASIC Editor) and the User Guide. You'll need to put them in adjacent sideways banks.

Dave H :D
Thanks Dave. :D
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and issue 6 with Master RAM Board, Acorn Plus 1, AP6, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi 2nd Processor, GoSDC MBE with Elk2GoSDC and Cart2GoSDC.

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:23 am

0xC0DE wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:52 am
Are you interested in external editors or are you only looking for editors on the machine itself?
Actually both now I think about it.

I'm torn between both ways because of usability issues. If I can find editors with better UX experience on real hardware it'll be a big improvement.

Example for Basic, On a Windows PC I've tried coding within Elkulator and ElectrEM. Both have pluses and minuses.
  • ElectrEM has a nice feature where you can copy-pastes code, or insert code from a file on your pc. Nice but if you do it too often the emulator does crash.
  • Keyboard mappings. Here in Greece you find Greek\US English keyboards which isn't quite the same as UK layout. ElectrEM doesn't let you define your own keyboard mapping. Elkulator does :D , but you can't save it. :x
  • BeebEM, has both code copy-paste and keyboard mapping, but is of course a Beeb and not an Electron, so not good for simulating running code on an Electron.
And BTW, I do hate having line numbers in BASIC! How did I ever put up with them in the past! :x Never use goto or gosub!
Last edited by rmbrowngr on Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard B

0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:33 am

I use VSCode+BeebAsm to develop my 6502 code on a Windows machine and test the resulting disk image in an emulator. Alternatively, Notepad++ with BeebAsm works equally well. Both VSCode and Notepad++ can do 6502 code syntax coloring, which is essential to me.
0xC0DE

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:46 am

0xC0DE wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:33 am
I use VSCode+BeebAsm to develop my 6502 code on a Windows machine and test the resulting disk image in an emulator. Alternatively, Notepad++ with BeebAsm works equally well. Both VSCode and Notepad++ can do 6502 code syntax coloring, which is essential to me.
That's certainly something I need to check out. BTW, which is the latest version of BeebASM?
Richard B

rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:49 am

tricky wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:09 am
On the b+, ADE for assembler, but I think it works best with dual floppies - I haven't tried with SD
For cross assembly, any editor + beebasm, vscode has code colouring for basic and asm
I'm sure I've seen basic tokenisers on mdfs.net, but beebasm can also do that.
For all my stuff (mainly asm) I use visual studio with an nmake project (not actually any make though) to give me a command line which runs a .bat file that links together image and sound converters, compression and beebasm.
That looks like a good setup. I think I've seen in this forum that you also combine in your development environment BeebEM so you can run and debug the code.
Richard B

0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:49 am

0xC0DE

tricky

Post by tricky » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:16 pm

rmbrowngr wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:49 am
tricky wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:09 am
That looks like a good setup. I think I've seen in this forum that you also combine in your development environment BeebEM so you can run and debug the code.
I set the debug command line for a "debug" build to run beebem and "release" to run b-em. For beebem, I have also hacked labels and preserving watches and breakpoints across runs.