Getting .SSD or .DSD images onto real floppies.

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
stephen_usher

Getting .SSD or .DSD images onto real floppies.

Post by stephen_usher » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:04 pm

I've just got a Raspberry Pi 2nd processor module for my BBC Master 128K and would like to get CP/M up and running.

I've found .SSD and .DSD disk "images" of the CP/M disks on-line but these "images" are not byte-for-byte copies of the disks I can use the UNIX/Linux dd utility with to write directly onto the USB floppy drive I have.

There are links to a number of old Windows utilities on-line but these are ancient and won't work on any modern version of Windows.

Does anyone know of a utility which can generate a real image of the floppy data from a .SSD or .DSD? Preferably it will be just source and able to be compiled on any POSIX compliant operating system.

P.S. The file extensions chosen are very confusing. .ssd would suggest single-sided, single density, not single-side-at-a-time. Similarly .dsd.
P.P.S. I can run RiscOS on a Raspberry Pi, but that doesn't have USB floppy support and my real A4000 doesn't have networking to transport the data. So a bit stuck.

sweh

Re: Getting .SSD or .DSD images onto real floppies.

Post by sweh » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:27 pm

Dunno if Martin's UPURS ROM can write CPM formatted images... if they're a normal size image (200K per side) then I don't foresee any problems.
Rgds
Stephen

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:27 pm

I thought SSD stood for Single Sided Disk and DSD for Double Sided Disk. Or is that too simple? :lol:

There is a utility, OmniFlop, which works on Windows XP. It needs a real, motherboard floppy disk controller to work.

A Gotek floppy drive emulator can make real disk copies from images but you would need a floppy + Gotek dual drive to do it.

If you can find one a Datacentre can make real floppy copies of images.

At a pinch you could use a MMFS device to hold the images and then copy them across to a real disk. TurboMMFS would be my favourite due to its copier ROM.
- John

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:16 pm

Stephen wrote:Dunno if Martin's UPURS ROM can write CPM formatted images... if they're a normal size image (200K per side) then I don't foresee any problems.

Yep, you are quite correct Stephen - UPURS can happily transfer these images and write them to real (formatted) floppies. It does though need to be ssd and dsd images as we all generally understand them (being single-sided and double-sided interleaved) so these on Jon Welch's site are fine but others are not. (e.g. If I remember correctly, the ones as hosted by JGH don't work with UPURS - something about ssd meaning sequential something or other and not single-sided but I don't tend to listen when I'm being shouted at I clearly wasn’t paying proper attention to the answer :) )

Last edited by MartinB on Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danielj

Post by danielj » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:28 pm

Now now...

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:42 pm

8)

danielj

Post by danielj » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:44 pm

MartinB wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:42 pm
8)
:roll:

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:51 pm

I can confirm UPURS does do the 'CPM' discs as they are just SSD or DSD 8)
ImageImageImage

DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:16 am

Omniflop is probably the fastest and most convenient way but yes, it takes an XP computer with a 1.2 FDD and a compatible (old) motherboard.

My second favourite way is using the UltraX DFS ROM. It lets you copy between virtual and real disk drives. You'll need sideways RAM or be able to blow an EPROM. This DFS is not quite as polished as MMFS and, as far as I know only works with an 8271 disc controller.

See this link for more "instructions" and a copy of the rom: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14404&p=192603#p192603

I have both real FDDs and an MMC interface hanging off the user port, UltraX is my default DFS.
Paul