Mainframe - Talk To Me

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
msknight

Mainframe - Talk To Me

Post by msknight » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:38 pm

Hi Folks,

My BBC related activities have been quiet for a while as I've been digitising my record collection and doing my cack handed repair of walkmans and things.

Anyway, I came across, "Talk To Me," by a short lived group called, "Mainframe." They released code on the B side of the record which basically turns the computer into a simple colour display that reacts to the tape in port, if I remember.

I've put it up here for those interested - http://msknight.com/bbc/mainframe.html - audio files are recorded as flac.

lurkio

Re: Mainframe - Talk To Me

Post by lurkio » Thu May 16, 2019 6:45 pm

Some more info about the band Mainframe and their computer programs on vinyl, from the January 1984 issue of Computer Answers magazine. (Content warning! You wouldn't get away with this sort of language in Micro User...):

IMG_4353.jpg
Article

Has anyone tried to load and run the program in the audio file linked from msknight's original post, above?

:?:

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Thu May 16, 2019 9:42 pm

^just seen this, will give it a 'spin' tomorrow after 7pm... don't get hopes up as it says only cost £1.50 for the vinyl :shock:
ImageImageImage

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Fri May 17, 2019 4:39 pm

here we are :
Attachments
BBCB-TalkToMe.uef
uef
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
ImageImageImage

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri May 17, 2019 9:13 pm

CMcDougall wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:39 pm
here we are :
Cheers! The program was designed to react to audio signals coming into the tape socket on the Beeb, and the idea was that you were supposed to plug a cassette recorder or record player into your Beeb to get a sound-and-light show.

I'm not with my Beebs at the mo, and I can't play music into a real machine, so the only way I could see if the program worked was by trying to find an emulator that would play a UEF even when no CHAIN or *RUN command had been issued. The only one I tried that did was B-Em:

Pernod

Post by Pernod » Fri May 17, 2019 9:22 pm

lurkio wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:13 pm
Cheers! The program was designed to react to audio signals coming into the tape socket on the Beeb, and the idea was that you were supposed to plug a cassette recorder or record player into your Beeb to get a sound-and-light show.
There was a similar program published in C&VG called Disco Lights. It's on my Graphic and Drawing Programs disc at viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5802&p=73044#p73044

PS. You'll need a Watford DFS supporting 62 files for some of the menu items.
Last edited by Pernod on Fri May 17, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Sat May 18, 2019 12:25 am

Pernod wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:22 pm
lurkio wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:13 pm
The program was designed to react to audio signals coming into the tape socket on the Beeb, and the idea was that you were supposed to plug a cassette recorder or record player into your Beeb to get a sound-and-light show.
There was a similar program published in C&VG called Disco Lights. It's on my Graphic and Drawing Programs disc at viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5802&p=73044#p73044
Thanks. Looks like the C+VG program was also the work of Colin Holgate of Mainframe (as was the program on the LP):

:idea: