IRATA.online - a PLATO-like online space for retrocomputing

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
BigEd

IRATA.online - a PLATO-like online space for retrocomputing

Post by BigEd » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:35 am

If you like retro online services, this might be up your street. Especially if you like multiuser online systems with device-independent text and graphics.
IRATA.online.png
Especially if you fancy a multiplayer dogfight game over the internet using an 8-bit computer as a terminal. Although you'd have to stay up very late into the early hours of Sunday to enjoy the first session...

Unfortunately, there's not yet a Beeb (or Archimedes) port of the client: you'd need a Commodore or Atari. However, your PC or Mac can run a client, and there's a C client which could probably be the basis of a port to a Beeb, or maybe a Master, and surely for an Archimedes.

"We not only provide a complete protocol specification, but also two complete implementations in C, as well as the source code to the Atari PLATO cartridge."
- IRATA.online ("A Community For Retro-Computing Enthusiasts") is the place to sign up, and to get your client software. There isn't presently an in-browser client.

I'd be interested to know: how many here have a setup to connect their Acorn kit to an internet service? I think that means either a serial cable to a host computer, or a Wifi adapter thingy.

"PLATO, (Programmed Logic for Automatic Teaching Operations), was a computer-based education system created in 1960."

Edit: tweaks
Last edited by BigEd on Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

tschak909

Re: IRATA.online - a PLATO-like online space for retrocomputing

Post by tschak909 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:55 am

Hey Ed! Good to see you here. :)

For everyone else in this thread, I'm the guy behind IRATA.ONLINE.

I've found a github fork of CC65 which has preliminary support for the BBC Micro. An implementation of TGI would need to be done to handle the dot and line drawing, but it is doable. A serial driver would also need to be done for communication, but again, doable by those who understand the machine. Once those bits are done, a port would come together _very_ quickly.

-Thom

Elminster

Post by Elminster » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:39 am

Daniels WiFi modem running from the serial port is nearly ready (hopefully).

I have had long to look but we are talking an rs232 terminal running over internet via WiFi dongle (as the freewifi device does).

BigEd

Post by BigEd » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:02 pm

Welcome Thom! It would be good to see some Acorn client action, but at best I can only help with a bit of testing.