Wanted: ENFS

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
dangardner

Wanted: ENFS

Post by dangardner » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:32 am

I recently saw an eBay listing for a Beeb with ENFS 3.60, which was an extension of NFS by some clever chaps at Oundle school to add ANFS-like buffering. I can't find it in any of my ROM collections. Does anybody happen to have a copy of this ROM?

matt_nottm

Re: Wanted: ENFS

Post by matt_nottm » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:42 pm

Does this work for you, sorry I am unable to test.
Attachments
ENFS_0_85.zip
(10.79 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

dangardner

Post by dangardner » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:03 pm

That's the one, thank you!

sweh

Post by sweh » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:04 am

That's funny.... "Supplied to The Isle College, Wisbech". My cousins live just 17 miles away from there (Cowbit). I may have been in that town once or twice, as a kid.
Rgds
Stephen

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:51 pm

I would strongly recommend using ANFS 4.18 on a BBC Model B, which has almost all of the extensions found in Master 128 ANFS including solving the dog-slow OSBGET and OSBPUT. As an alternative SJ Research supplied PUTGET as a library utility which does effectively the same thing.

crj

Post by crj » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:31 am

sweh wrote:That's funny.... "Supplied to The Isle College, Wisbech".
Maybe we should hack a "Supplied to Stardot" version...

crj

Post by crj » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:35 am

BeebMaster wrote:I would strongly recommend using ANFS 4.18 [...] As an alternative SJ Research supplied PUTGET
It would be interesting to see a comparison of how much memory each of these used, and where it got it from, if anyone happens to know.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:32 am

crj wrote:
BeebMaster wrote:I would strongly recommend using ANFS 4.18 [...] As an alternative SJ Research supplied PUTGET
It would be interesting to see a comparison of how much memory each of these used, and where it got it from, if anyone happens to know.
Both of them claim memory underneath PAGE - where else would you get memory on a BBC?

ANFS claims 3 pages for three channels. With an NFS-only Beeb that pushes PAGE up from &1200 to &1500. With a DNFS Beeb that pushes PAGE up from &1900 to &1C00, disabling the NFS in DNFS. I think (....but aren't sure...) that is "recycles" the channel buffers if you have more than three open by flushing the oldest buffer to use for newer file access.

ENFS claims 1 page, and disables the NFS half of any fitted DNFS ROM. I think it buffers the first channel you open, though I haven't checked recently. It could well use several buffers smaller than 256 bytes for several channels, and could well recycle the buffers. ENFS can be configured with the keyboard links to default to buffered or unbuffered filing, and default to PROTted or UNPROTted. ENFS has a few commands that are named slightly differently to ANFS; *SETFS and *SETPS instead of *FS and *PS, doesn't have *PROT in ROM to protect the security of the *PROT command. Has a couple of extra commands, including *SLAVE that I can't remember how to use.

Somewhere I've got the documentation, I really should get around to scanning it and uploading it.

Edit: And for PUTGET:
Run with *PUTGET. Any BASIC program will be lost and PAGE will be raised by
&300. PUTGET remains active over Break. Running PUTGET twice results in a
message "PutGet already active".

One fast input channel and one fast output channel now available. PTR# not
usable on the fast input/output channels. The first channel opened for
input is a fast channel, the first for output a fast channel, subsequent
channels opened are unbuffered.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

crj

Post by crj » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:56 am

jgharston wrote:Both of them claim memory underneath PAGE - where else would you get memory on a BBC?
  • Hijack page &0A
  • Use sideways RAM
  • Make more efficient use of the same amount of memory traditional NFS claims

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:13 am

crj wrote:
jgharston wrote:Both of them claim memory underneath PAGE - where else would you get memory on a BBC?
  • Hijack page &0A
  • Use sideways RAM
  • Make more efficient use of the same amount of memory traditional NFS claims
There is no spare memory that can be used.
&E00 is the current context, NetPrint context, and space for transient networking commands
&F00 is the file server transaction buffer
workspace+&000 is the open receive blocks
workspace+&100 is the saved context from &E00
That's the absolute minimum you can get away with.

You can't use &0A as that is telling users that they they are banned from using the serial system if they want to use NFS. Plus, &09/&0A is the standard non-filingsystem-specific transient command buffer, so you'd be telling users that they're banned from using file-based *commands if they want to use NFS.

The object of ENFS was a replacement ROM, not something that required loading into RAM.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_