Speech

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
ihardcas

Speech

Post by ihardcas » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:59 pm

While going through my old tapes the other week, I came across this. UEF and DSD attached.

"Speech by D.A.W. and C.J.H."

Plays a sample of digitised speech.

I remember it as a kid. Pretty sure it was before Superior Software Speech came out.

It doesn't appear to work on the Windows emulators but it obviously does on real hardware.

Just wondered if anyone else came across this or had any info on it etc...

And what is the voice saying?

cheers
Attachments
Speech.zip
(121.09 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

Pernod

Re: Speech

Post by Pernod » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:22 am

ihardcas wrote:It doesn't appear to work on the Windows emulators but it obviously does on real hardware.

Just wondered if anyone else came across this or had any info on it etc...

And what is the voice saying?
Never seen or heard this before, it works in MAME :)

It's a sample from The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy:
"Hi there guys! This is Eddie your shipboard computer welcoming you back on board the starship Heart of Gold. We are currently heading away ..."
- Nigel

BBC Model B, ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:33 pm

Pernod wrote:Never seen or heard this before, it works in MAME :)
How does one set up MAME and run this speech software?

Never tried to install MAME before. I'm on a Mac, and I just went for what I hoped would be the easy option and used Homebrew, which I'd already installed. It installed a load of dependencies and then grabbed https://github.com/mamedev/mame/archive/mame0195.tar.gz

I can now launch MAME from the commandline, and it takes over the whole screen. I can select a "BBC Micro Model B" to be the emulated machine but then I get an error message saying I'm missing "one or more required ROM or CHD images". Any idea how I fix this?

Have I basically downloaded and set MAME up right? Or do I need to start again?

:?:
Screen Shot 2018-03-05 at 19.27.51.jpg

vanekp

Post by vanekp » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:27 pm

you need the "ROM" set for the bbc which consists of a number of zip files with all the different DFS, BASIC, OS ROM's etc. I will add a set for all the bbc electron acorn roms unzip the contents into your mame\ROMS folder.
Peter.
Attachments
BBCroms.zip
(1.38 MiB) Downloaded 22 times

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:45 pm

vanekp wrote:you need the "ROM" set for the bbc which consists of a number of zip files with all the different DFS, BASIC, OS ROM's etc. I will add a set for all the bbc electron acorn roms unzip the contents into your mame\ROMS folder.
Thanks. I've got MAME emulating a Model B now, with your help and Pernod's.

=D> =D>
ihardcas wrote:While going through my old tapes the other week, I came across this. UEF and DSD attached. "Speech by D.A.W. and C.J.H." Plays a sample of digitised speech. ... It doesn't appear to work on the Windows emulators but it obviously does on real hardware.
Thanks. Impressive speech sample. Shame that MAME is the only emulator that'll play it correctly though -- BeebEm, B-Em and JSBeeb just hiss and grumble.

:(

vanekp

Post by vanekp » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:19 pm

Your welcome.
O by the way if your going to play with mame be very carefull if you want to write to disc's it has a nasty bug in there (I don't think its been fixed as yet) that it screws up the disc structure and makes the disc no longer usable.
Peter.

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:28 pm

Here's an audio recording of the sampled speech being played in MAME emulating a Model B:
:idea:

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:35 pm

^a bit scratchy...

still think this bangs it totally : Reet Petite -Jackie Wilson 8)
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4277&p=37664&hilit ... ite#p37664
ImageImageImage

CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:37 pm

& here it is straight from a actual modelB iss4 into laptop, MP3 128k :
Attachments
speeDIG.zip
MP3 mono128
(145.23 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
ImageImageImage

tricky

Post by tricky » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:10 pm

I can't see why it wouldn't work on the emulators, it seems to set the frequency counter to 8, rather than 0 (SMS) or 1 (beeb) and does seem to run at a slightly low bit rate, but other than that and leaving ...
Doh!, it doesn't turn the slow data bus connection to the sound chip off, maybe that has something to do with whether those emulators are checking for new values - I don't remember seeing that code, and I might just have miss-read the disassembly!

RobC

Post by RobC » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:58 pm

How long does it leave between flipping the write enable line to the sound chip? You're supposed to leave 8uS but I think you can get away with less on a real Beeb...

Rich Talbot-Watkins

Post by Rich Talbot-Watkins » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:23 pm

RobC wrote:How long does it leave between flipping the write enable line to the sound chip? You're supposed to leave 8uS but I think you can get away with less on a real Beeb...
Only if you're lucky. I think the point is that the sound chip only takes data off the bus every 8us, so if you get lucky it'll work, otherwise you'll lose the write.

tricky

Post by tricky » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:48 pm

RobC wrote:How long does it leave between flipping the write enable line to the sound chip? You're supposed to leave 8uS but I think you can get away with less on a real Beeb...
I might have missed it, but I don't think it does flip it, I think it just leaves it write enabled all the time, which made me think that maybe the emulators are only reading when the write enable is turned off.

NB I may have just miss-read the code!

tricky

Post by tricky » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:38 pm

I've had a bit more of a dig into the assembler and an older version of beebem 4.0.3.

The code sets the frequency counter to 8 and then repeats: set DDRA, set Slow data bus value, Enable Sound; which should be OK if a little unnecessary.

beebem 4.0.3 does have an if that looks wrong, but doesn't fix the sound:

Code: Select all

...\BeebEm\Src\sysvia.cpp

#ifdef SOUNDSUPPORT
  if (((oldval & 1)) && (!(IC32State & 1))) { Sound_RegWrite(SlowDataBusWriteValue); }
  // now, this was a change from 0 to 1, but my docs say its a change from 1 to 0. might work better this way.
#endif
I don't think the code should be checking for a transition from disabled to enabled.

If I change the frequency from 8 to 1 or 2, I can make out the speech, although it isn't great and only improves slightly when fiddling with the emulators sound options.

My conclusion is that the simulation is doing the correct thing, but maybe needs a better model of the sound waves produced. :-

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:36 pm

CMcDougall wrote:still think this bangs it totally : Reet Petite -Jackie Wilson 8)
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4277&p=37664&hilit ... ite#p37664
Wow! I'd missed that one.

Interesting that it exposes another difference between emulators: BeebEm can play it, but JSBeeb can't! (In JSBeeb the audio is quiet and distorted.)

:roll:

Matt Godbolt

Post by Matt Godbolt » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:02 pm

Rich Talbot-Watkins wrote:
Only if you're lucky. I think the point is that the sound chip only takes data off the bus every 8us, so if you get lucky it'll work, otherwise you'll lose the write.
This might be why it doesn't work on jsbeeb...to "fix" other issues in the sound ( https://github.com/mattgodbolt/jsbeeb/b ... hip.js#L16 ) we only read the sound bus every few cycles...

lurkio

Post by lurkio » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:03 pm

tricky wrote:My conclusion is that the simulation is doing the correct thing, but maybe needs a better model of the sound waves produced. :-
Erm, if you say so..! :oops: This is beyond me, but I can at least raise the issue on Github:
:idea:

Matt Godbolt

Post by Matt Godbolt » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:20 pm

..though indeed if WE stays low maybe this should be ok? I'll have to dig a bit more :)