Speech!

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
Neon_Knight

Speech!

Post by Neon_Knight » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:40 pm

Speech!

OK, I've never used a beeb emulator before, and I've never used a speech synthesis module on the bbc micro I have. (The harddrive has subsequently stopped working - rendering it useless).

Basically, I want to get those retro speech synthesis sounds because they sound cool and they're all good and stuff.

Like the start of 'Citadel'. Or anything similar.

All modern text-to-speech programs sound too good and not retro enough for me.

Retro = cool, see?

Yes, anyway, seeing as I'm totally new to beeb emulators and I haven't used the ol' BBC for many many many years, could somebody please explain to me exactly what I need to download and install, what setting to put where, and exactly what to type to get my computer to say stuff to me in that old voice I so dearly remember?

I have already downloaded BeebEm version 3.7

I read in the readme that if I typed "Sound -1, 179, 0, 0" it would say "computer" at me, but that didn't actually do anything.

T_T

Any help, guys? Thanks.

I never knew places like this existed on the internet. Brings back memories. 8)

Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:49 pm

Assuming you've got BeebEm installed ...

Download Superior Software's Speech! disk image from here:

http://www.stairwaytohell.com/bbc/archi ... Speech.zip

Then extract the Speech.ssd file into the BeebEm\DiscIms folder which BeebEm has already created in your My Documents folder.

Then run BeebEm and select File / Load Disc 0 and select the Speech.ssd file. Now type in the emulator:

Code: Select all

*SPEECH
*SAY I AM A COMPUTER
If you want more examples on how to use it, boot the disk (hold down Shift and Tap the F12 key) to see some more examples of how to use commands like *SPEAK (which takes phonetics rather than trying to read English).

HTH,

Sam.

g7jjf

Re: Speech!

Post by g7jjf » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:57 pm

Neon_Knight wrote:I read in the readme that if I typed "Sound -1, 179, 0, 0" it would say "computer" at me, but that didn't actually do anything.
You need to make sure you have Speech enabled on the Sound menu and you have BBC Model B selected off the Hardware / BBC Model menu. Reset the emulator after changing the settings (Ctrl-F12) then the SOUND -1, 179, 0, 0 will speak !

Jon.

Neon_Knight

Post by Neon_Knight » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:41 pm

AH, wow!

Thank you, so much, this is rather cool.

Thanks g7jjf, that worked too! :D

:roll:

Oh, by the way, any chance of getting this to run on my PSP beeb emulator? It'd be so cool to have this portable. 8)

frutbunn

Post by frutbunn » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:23 am

Neon_Knight wrote:AH, wow!
Oh, by the way, any chance of getting this to run on my PSP beeb emulator? It'd be so cool to have this portable. 8)
I think ZX81 based PSP beeb on version 0.0.4 of my UNIX BeebEm port, and that was prior to John's Speech chip support. It should be quite easy to add though.

There's always the Superior Speech software, and I've found that to work quite well for me on the old GP2X!