Read Word Wise Plus files on PC

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
hiddenevil

Read Word Wise Plus files on PC

Post by hiddenevil » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:51 am

Has anyone had any success getting documents written in Word Wise on to a modern computers? I used my new data center to copy the file over, but opening the file results in garbage, just a document full of hash characters.

hoglet

Re: Read Word Wise Plus files on PC

Post by hoglet » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:54 am

I think Jon Welch's DFS Explorer can show the contents of a wordwise file (using the right-click View as Wordwise option).
https://www.g7jjf.com/dfs_explorer.htm

I don't know how well this works with Wordwise Plus.

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:20 am

Wordwise Plus files are simple text files and so load directly into word processors and text editors. Control codes are not implemented, however, and appear as ˥ for the green control code and • for the white one in MS Word on my PC.

One sequence for x2 could be x˥ES83,0•2˥ES84• Not an easy sequence to decipher. :(

However, it should be quite easy to write a Word macro to parse the text and to replace the green and white codes with the appropriate MS Word formatting effects. Calling machine code routines and WW+ programs would have to be ignored, though. Mmm - sounds like an interesting project ...
- John

Why do I keep collecting Acorn gear? I'm going to need a considerably bigger man-cave. :?

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:49 am

You can use the spool text option within Wordwise, it should output to a file in plain text format.

hiddenevil

Post by hiddenevil » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:27 pm

Well I'm not sure what has gone wrong then, I copied a WordWise document over to usb pen last night and when i tried to load it up in Libra Office. The result was a page and a half of #######

hiddenevil

Post by hiddenevil » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:42 pm

UPDATE

I installed DFS explorer on my old Dell Win XP laptop, I created a blank floppy SSD and dragged the text file over. Once in DFS explorer i tried using the 'View as Wordwise' and was told that my document does not appear to be a wordwise file.

I've now tried loading it up in MS Word and instead of a page and a bit of ###, Word displays squares. RetroClinic Mark was the chap who explained how to copy the file off floppy to usb, so we can be sure I copied the file right (hopefully). Atm I'm kind of worried that it didn't copy correctly. I'm going to make another document and see what happens. I'm a little annoyed tbh as while i was faffing about, I somehow managed to erase the contents of the file on my floppy disk. So when I open it in WordWise its showing as a blank document. Gah! over a thousand words gone and my only hope that its saved rests on whatever was copied last night to usb from my floppy drive.

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:59 pm

I know this might be like rubbing salt into an open wound but why not use your backup? :?
- John

Why do I keep collecting Acorn gear? I'm going to need a considerably bigger man-cave. :?

hiddenevil

Post by hiddenevil » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:52 pm

Your right, it was :-P Someone should take the salt off you, your officially band from salt lol

And to answer your question, qu'est-ce que c'est? Backup?
Think I learnt my lesson, save more then one copy *face palm*

Prime

Post by Prime » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:00 pm

What I'd have done in the first place is to make a disk image of the floppy first (onto the USB), then work with that.

Cheers.

Phill.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:40 am

Prime wrote:What I'd have done in the first place is to make a disk image of the floppy first (onto the USB), then work with that.
In fact, DON'T TOUCH THE DISK!!! Image it straight away, then you can access the imaged sectors to recover the file. When you delete a file on most filing systems, all you do is remove the entry in the catalog. As long as you don't anything to the disk after you've deleted the file the file's contents will still be there.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.25
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2015
>_

hiddenevil

Post by hiddenevil » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:24 am

Never tried to recover a file on the beeb, how would I go about that?

crj

Post by crj » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:38 am

No doubt there are utilities tailor-made for the job, but the main thing to be aware of is that neither DFS nor (an 8-bit version of) ADFS ever fragments files. If you can find the start of the file, the rest of it will follow in consecutive sectors.

What I would personally do is make a copy of the disc, then use the Advanced Disc Toolkit. *DFIND some word you know was in the file, to see which disc sectors contain it, then *DEX to take a look around and figure out where the file used to start and end. Use *SECTORS to load the file into RAM, then *SAVE to put it on some other disc. That's a bit manual, but also pretty reliable if the data is still there.

MartinB

Post by MartinB » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:58 am

You should find you can still image it directly to your PC with UPURS - just use the I, I4 or I8 switches to ignore any errors if your problems are more than just accidental deletion. (There is a disc screwed-up threshold below which UPURS won't go but hopefully you've not reached that with this disc!)

hiddenevil

Post by hiddenevil » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:42 pm

Simon has saved the day, sent him a disk image and he's pulled the document out of the hex :-)

Thank lord for that!

Now I know to make a back up!!!

Prime

Post by Prime » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:16 pm

jgharston wrote:
Prime wrote:What I'd have done in the first place is to make a disk image of the floppy first (onto the USB), then work with that.
In fact, DON'T TOUCH THE DISK!!! Image it straight away, then you can access the imaged sectors to recover the file. When you delete a file on most filing systems, all you do is remove the entry in the catalog. As long as you don't anything to the disk after you've deleted the file the file's contents will still be there.
Yeah that's what I meant, work with the image not the media.

Cheers.

Phill.

tautology

Post by tautology » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:24 pm

I have a half written Interword convertor somewhere, that I could probably mangle to do Wordwise.

One of these days I ought to properly script these up to convert WW/View/IW to HTML (or similar).