Teletext?

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
rainbird rich

Teletext?

Post by rainbird rich » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:58 pm

Not sure if this was possible or not, but would anyone have been able to capture or save off teletext pages from BBC2 in the mid to late 1980s? I used to write stuff on CEEFAX and it would be interesting to see some of it again. Unfortunately, the discs I wrote the pages on are long gone...
Richard Hewison

http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk
memories of Telecomsoft

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:37 am

You could easily capture from Ceefax using the teletext adapter but it's more a case of whether anyone captured your pages and also saved them. Probably remote.

Although, as teletext is sent along at the top of the video page does this mean the pages that were sent then are recorded onto tape from back then ? You'd just need an old episode of Blue Peter and your away ! I'm sure I've seen somewhere that this isn't possible though :(

rainbird rich

Post by rainbird rich » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:01 am

Apparently it was possible to record CEEFAX pages if you taped on S-VHS but otherwise... :-(
sorvad wrote:You could easily capture from Ceefax using the teletext adapter but it's more a case of whether anyone captured your pages and also saved them. Probably remote.

Although, as teletext is sent along at the top of the video page does this mean the pages that were sent then are recorded onto tape from back then ? You'd just need an old episode of Blue Peter and your away ! I'm sure I've seen somewhere that this isn't possible though :(
Richard Hewison

http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk
memories of Telecomsoft

sorvad

Post by sorvad » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:05 pm

Although rarer than your standard VHS, as Teletext constantly sent every page every minute or so you'd only need a 5 minute slot of a program broadcast anytime within the week your page was out and you've got it. So somewhere on a S-VHS tape your stuff must still be alive and well. I'd start looking on eBay for a second hand player and then scour for tapes of programmes shown in at the time you wrote your pages.

Sounds an interesting detective project :shock: