Oxford Pascal instructions

discussion of beeb/electron applications, languages, utils and educational s/w
Lardo Boffin

Oxford Pascal instructions

Post by Lardo Boffin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:23 pm

Hello all!

I'm on the scav again... I recently bought a copy of Oxford Pascal from eBay sans instructions / manual foolishly thinking it would be easy enough to find some on the Internet. This proves not to be the case!
I did find a book for it on eBay / Amazon but they want £130 which is excessive unless it is hardback with gold plating.
Does anyone have any instructions / manuals / idea how to use it?
Loading it is petty simple and you have to use the basic editor (like numbers in Pascal!!!) which is fun.
I have typed in a basic pascal program and hit run ok. But have no idea how to save the object code or produce run time versions etc. (which it claims it can do).

As ever any help greatly appreciated!

Lardo
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
BBC Master

DutchAcorn

Re: Oxford Pascal instructions

Post by DutchAcorn » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:31 pm

I have a manual for Oxford Pascal, but it is in Dutch.

There are two types of compiler; the resident compiler and the disc compiler. Only the disc compiler can produce object code and run time versions.

Booting from the disc gets you into the Resident compiler. Use the command "DISC" to enter the Disc compiler. The disc compiler only compiles (does not run Pascal programs). Use the command "COMP <filename>" to compile. "EX <O.filename>" executes the object code.

Use the command LOCATE to produce executable code from the object code. "LOCATE <exfile> = <filename>" (omit the O. directory prefix).

Hope this helps...
Paul

Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:41 pm

DutchAcorn wrote:I have a manual for Oxford Pascal, but it is in Dutch.

There are two types of compiler; the resident compiler and the disc compiler. Only the disc compiler can produce object code and run time versions.

Booting from the disc gets you into the Resident compiler. Use the command "DISC" to enter the Disc compiler. The disc compiler only compiles (does not run Pascal programs). Use the command "COMP <filename>" to compile. "EX <O.filename>" executes the object code.

Use the command LOCATE to produce executable code from the object code. "LOCATE <exfile> = <filename>" (omit the O. directory prefix).

Hope this helps...
Thanks Paul - that's a great help!
BBC model B 32k issue 4, 16k sideways RAM, Watford 12 ROM board, Retroclinic Datacentre + HDD, Viglen twin 40/80 5.25" discs, acorn cassette, Acorn 6502 coproc
BBC model B 32k issue 7, turboMMC, Opus Challenger 3 512k, Pi 3 coproc
BBC Master

will3m

Post by will3m » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:20 pm

DutchAcorn wrote:I have a manual for Oxford Pascal, but it is in Dutch.

Hope this helps...
Hi Dutch Acorn

Vandaag een BBC opgehaald met Oxford Pascal v2.1 Rom. Zou graag het manual scannen.

Groet,
Willem

danielj

Post by danielj » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:58 pm

Please can we keep things in English - not that I'm trying to be a pain, it's just that lots of the admin/moderation team don't speak Dutch! :)

d.

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:13 pm

Ah. But can you read it? :lol:
- John

Why do I keep collecting Acorn gear? I'm going to need a considerably bigger man-cave. :?

DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:05 am

will3m wrote:Hi Dutch Acorn

Vandaag een BBC opgehaald met Oxford Pascal v2.1 Rom. Zou graag het manual scannen.

Groet,
Willem
Welcome to Stardot, Willem!

Regrettably the manual is in "storage" giving me only a rough idea of it's location. Given the hectic christmas activities I don't know when exactly I'll be able to excavate it so it may not reappear this year. :roll:

If you just want to know how to use Oxfort Pascal I can make a scan with my phone but if you are planning for a quality scan for archiving purposes I'll be happy to post it to you (once I retrieved it).
Paul