Which DFS is best?

bbc/electron apps, languages, utils, educational progs, demos + more
iainfm

Which DFS is best?

Post by iainfm »

Hi,

Without wanting to start a fight... :lol: Which DFS is best for every day use?

I've got Watford 1.54 in my issue 7 (1770) and Solidisk 2.2J (I think) in my issue 4 (8271).

I may need the Solidisk ROM at some point to be able to read disks formatted/written with it at the time, though I'm planning to image them with a Greaseweazle if/when I get hold of the physical media.

All suggestions appreciated :)
MartinB

Re: Which DFS is best?

Post by MartinB »

For 177x FDC, Acorn 2.26 for sure
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

That’s up there with “Which ball is best?”

Personal taste, what you want to use it on, and what you want to do are factors that you need to decide on.

Here are some links:
Filing Systems
Acorn DFS disc format
DFS versions
ADFS notes
Disk Filing system ROMs
ADFS
DFS
DNFS

I normally use a version of Acorn DFS on my Beebs that use a 8271 FDC chip and 5¼” disk drives. But use ADFS on my BBC Masters and 3½ disk drives.

Mark
dominicbeesley

Post by dominicbeesley »

My hacked version of JGH/Spuddy/SWEH's HostFS and Perl Server which runs over Myelin's serial card - excellent for debugging stuff! I suspect that UPURSFS gives similar results.

Or ADFS and a Hard drive. I keep meaning to give JGH's HADFS another go...
iainfm

Post by iainfm »

Thanks for the replies! I'm not looking for anything fancy, just the one that gives the best reliability and compatibility for everyday use. We were stung quite badly a few times by the Solidisk DFS - there's a reason they include a disk editor *command in it :lol:

I 'blew' the Acorn 2.26 one to my ifel flashrom-majig and it worked fine for a while, but then became corrupt. I think I may have used the wrong bank, so I'll have to try it again. Once my blank eproms arrive from china I'll blow it to one of those for long-term installation. DFS is probably something you want on a semi-permanent medium anyway!

Cheers,
Iain
Coeus

Post by Coeus »

iainfm wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:27 pm
Thanks for the replies! I'm not looking for anything fancy, just the one that gives the best reliability and compatibility for everyday use. We were stung quite badly a few times by the Solidisk DFS - there's a reason they include a disk editor *command in it :lol:
You're not the only one to have found bugs in the Solidisk DFS. I remember spending quite some time on the telephone to their technical support people back in the day and other people have also commented that there are bugs. Some versions may be better than others and I think things did improve with the later ones I was sent.
iainfm wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:27 pm
DFS is probably something you want on a semi-permanent medium anyway!
If you're intending to use floppy discs or a GOTEK as your storage medium. I have MMFS installed instead - it's like DFS but uses image files on an SD card instead.

Cheers,
Iain
[/quote]
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

The following doc contains useful info if you're deciding which Acorn-based DFS to install:

http://mdfs.net/System/ROMs/Filing/Disk/Acorn/versions

Re gaming, Acorn DFS 0.90 is compatible with most (all?) games except OddJob, which requires DFS 1.20 (and might also work on later versions of DFS). But I think DFS 0.90 has bugs and/or inefficiencies. See the above-linked document.

Acorn DFS 1.20 (and possibly also later versions) is incompatible with the non-SWRAM version of Dunjunz for the Model B. I still don't know exactly why.

I'm not aware of any other gotchas around Acorn-based DFSes and gaming.

EDIT: See also:

http://mdfs.net/Apps/Filing/

:idea:
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Hmm, how about "which DFS do you prefer and why"

I use MMFS, because hoglet does and it's well-maintained and suits my purpose: I can read/write to a stack of floppy images on an sdcard, at full card speed. And it's cheap.

One downside is the need to pack those images into an MMB file, but there's a tool for that, in fact more than one. There is a new version which uses images as files instead of packed images, but I'm slow to change my habits.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: other”