*DIR ^ on Master with ANFS 4.25

bbc/electron apps, languages, utils, educational progs, demos + more
KenLowe

*DIR ^ on Master with ANFS 4.25

Post by KenLowe » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:57 am

Does the *DIR ^ command to step up a directory work with the Master ANFS 4.25? If not, is there an equivalent command?

danielj

Re: *DIR ^ on Master with ANFS 4.25

Post by danielj » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:30 am

I may be wrong, but I believe that is a function of the server, not ANFS. Suffice to say, it works on my Master with ANFS 4.25 and an MDFS server.

d.

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:18 am

Indeed, it's whether the file server implements "up". Level 2 and 3 file servers didn't have this facility, inexplicably, until the relatively recently discovered version 1.24 of Level 3, which has a link to the parent directory as the first entry in the directory object. Even then, you can can only DIR ^ if the current directory has been created with version 1.24 (or the date-patched 1.25), so unfortunately you can't just upgrade the server version and have it work with old discs.

FileStore supports "up", and I continue to speculate that the Level 3 version 1.24 code was "carried forward" into the FileStore, whose earliest known version is 1.33.

The MDFS also supports "up".

The RISC OS Econet filer can support "up" because it transmits the full pathname every time, so it always knows exactly where it is in the directory structure.

A dodge to go up a level is to use *LIB and *FLIP which swaps the current library for the currently selected directory, so if you're currently in $.KEN.Beeb.Work and you want to go to $.KEN.Beeb.Work.2020 then you can do *LIB 2020, *FLIP, which puts you in 2020, and then when you've finished in there you can do *FLIP again and you are back up a level at $.KEN.Beeb.Work.

The RISC OS filer uses this method, if you ever do file copying to a Level 3 file server using the Desktop, you'll see a lot of LIB and FLIP entries on the file server monitor screen.

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:36 am

Thanks guys. I think that explains the issues we're seeing. I'm running a 1.25 file server and the *DIR ^ command is working for me. The client I tested this on is a beeb running DNFS.

Someone else is running another file server. I don't know what version, but it sounds like its an older version, since the *DIR ^ is generating an error on this system. In this case the client machine is a Master running ANFS 4.25, so I had assumed it was the NFS / ANFS version that was causing the issue. I'll get the file server version confirmed.

Just for info, we're trying to run some Infocom text adventures over Econet:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19975&start=210#p286124

The LOADER file uses the *DIR ^ command to determine the full path of the current working directory.

It works fine on my system, by not the other.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:53 pm

With *any* client/server system, as near as dammit, absolutely ****EVERYTHING***** is a function of the SERVER and NOT the client. Absolutely ****NOTHING******** is down to what client you have.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.32
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2020
>_

julie_m

Post by julie_m » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:43 pm

Not necessarily. With highly proprietary stuff, there may be "free" and "paid-for" client software, with the former having some of the latter's features deliberately nobbled. BitKeeper was an example of such (although Andrew Tridgell's Open Source client managed to outperform even the paid-for one).

Return to “8-bit acorn software: other”