My ROM ripper/reader arrives tomorrow

bbc/electron apps, languages, utils, educational progs, demos + more
Colday

My ROM ripper/reader arrives tomorrow

Post by Colday » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:22 pm

Hi all.

When I bought a job lot of beebs (there's a post on the 'hardware' section somewhere) it came with an absolute load of ROMS.

Some were original and some were EPROMS.

Apparently the elderly gent that had them (and left them in his loft for the beeb's to get wet and rust (yes, it was the metal surround for the VHF)) was a developer for the standalone 'Info' desks that were left scattered about in various locations nationally. Onviously these ran on Beeb's inside the case.

Alas I do not have the big box they were in, but it turns out I DO have one of the beebs that was inside one of them.

Sadly it is the 'rusty' on and there is currently a thread on getting it working again.

Anyway, I am now looking to download/rip (or whatever the phrase is) and upload/post (see previous brackets) the rom images somewhere.

I have 35-40 ROMS with various version of this 'Info desk' software on (I have NO idea if ANY of them work or whether they were FUBAR prototypes).

But, where would you like them uploaded/posted to?

I was going to send them out for someone to do, but I thought I would learn about this stuff myself and then do it myself.

And here we are.

The EPROM programmer/access dubre arrives tomorrow. Hopefully I will have lots of lovely rom files to share very soon.
BBC B's... I have 5 again.
2x not working, 3x working, 1 is unmolested.
Lots of disk drives, some working, some not. Lots to repair.

lurkio

Re: My ROM ripper/reader arrives tomorrow

Post by lurkio » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:57 pm

Colday wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:22 pm
I have 35-40 ROMS with various version of this 'Info desk' software on (I have NO idea if ANY of them work or whether they were FUBAR prototypes). But, where would you like them uploaded/posted to?
Attaching them to a post (or posts) in the Archive Submissions section of the forum would probably be a good idea:
:idea:

Colday

Post by Colday » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:27 pm

Ok, these are not as easy to use as I would have hoped.

Colday

Post by Colday » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:45 pm

Has anyone got a TL866ii plus EPROM reader/programmer?

It seems to work ok, and I have read some ROM's but I'm confused over the supported chip list and how we work around that with a new programmer/reader?

Coeus

Post by Coeus » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:42 pm

Colday wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:45 pm
Has anyone got a TL866ii plus EPROM reader/programmer?

It seems to work ok, and I have read some ROM's but I'm confused over the supported chip list and how we work around that with a new programmer/reader?
Can you explain in a little more detail what you mean here. The programmer needs to know which chip it is reading to get the right signals on the right pins and the timing right. If you were programming EPROMs that would also determine the programming voltage.

I'm using the minipro program on Linux and that says the TL866ii supports 13,143 different devices.

The EPROM you are trying to read should have the device type printed on the top.

Colday

Post by Colday » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:00 pm

Coeus wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:42 pm
I'm using the minipro program on Linux and that says the TL866ii supports 13,143 different devices.

The EPROM you are trying to read should have the device type printed on the top.
The ROMS's I have do have the things printed on the top, however the list of supported chips within the software doesn't find them.

I've tried reading with 'similar' chips, and they seem to read ok, but as the correct chip name hasn't been used to read the chip I have no idea if they are complete images.

I just wondered what other people do when the chip you have isn't listed?

Interested to hear about the Linux version, am using Ubuntu on my laptop in the workshop as it is somewhat quicker than Win10 on the aging hardware.

Coeus

Post by Coeus » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:56 am

The linux program I have is a command line one. I'm using Arch and it's in the Arch AUR which like a ports system but it has the home page as https://gitlab.com/DavidGriffith/minipro You could also see if Ubuntu has a minipro package in its repository.

I have just noticed there is what looks like a graphical one too: https://github.com/wd5gnr/qtl866 I have not tried that one, though.

tautology

Post by tautology » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:14 am

I made my own adapter board for a Raspberry Pi and less than 50 lines of python was enough to read an EEPROM by bitbanging. I was surprised by how simple the whole process was.

IMG_20200709_112338819.jpg
Attachments
epromdump.txt
(1.13 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:19 pm

With respect to just reading the normal ROMs and the normal EPROMs as used in a BBC B, selecting any manufacturers 2764 will read the 8k byte (64k bit) chips. Selecting any manufacturers 27128 will read the 16k byte (128k bit) chips. You only need to match the middle part of the chips part number.

If you are not sure, select any manufacturers 27128 to read the chip.

Unless the chip is mounted on a carrier board. In which case a larger capacity EPROM chip will have been used. Modified BBC B machines can also use the larger capacity EPROM chips such as 27256, 27C256 (both 32k byte, 256k bit), 27512 or 27C512 (both 64k byte, 512k bit).

The export model of the BBC B (U.S. / German), the BBC B+ and the Master 128 can also use 27256 / 27C256 chips.

Again, with the 27256, 27C256, 27512 or 27C512 it does not matter which manufacturers version you use for reading.

Mark

Return to “8-bit acorn software: other”